Status
Not open for further replies.

wingsprouts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Good morning ECF =D

I've found myself with an ePower that my husband didn't care for, and want to make it baby blue (very, very badly). Has anyone ever spray painted a battery tube and cone before? I am thinking I should buy something like Rustoleum, but maybe there is some type better for this use? Should I sand the finish first so the paint will stick better (will this cause it to get rusty?), or use a spray primer of some sort? Also, I spray painted something once, and it had little bubbles that dried in the paint...how do I prevent this? Also, do I need some kind of finishing spray on top of it all to prevent chipping or other paint wear? Only thing I really know is to blue tape the threads really carefully.

:confused: :?: :blink: :unsure:

Any advice on spray painting metal things (mods or otherwise) would be appreciated so much =D

sprouts

Gatoman

Aug 1, 2011
Oklahoma
I have the 18650, The battery cover and cone is made out of aluminum. The bubbles in the paint job are because you needed to mix the paint more and maybe needed a lighter coat of paint on what you where trying to paint. I would look for a paint that would work on aluminum and keep the coats of paint light around the top of the tip of the cone, Not to much room if you put a heavy coat of paint. Clean the surface of the cone real good before your first coat, And let it dry. You can get new ones for $ 4 to 5. I would try using 600 grit sand paper or steel wool to strip the cone, Clean it with acetone or alcohol and let it dry. Hold the can of spray paint 12 inches away frome the cone and use light passes.

Good Luck. :toast:

Last edited:

SuziesMom

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
NY
I couldn't get spray paint to stick to an ecig for very long at all. I got it on there, and looking moderately good, but it scratches off even with a clear coat on top.

Nail polish works well if you can get it on in even coats, and use a good topcoat. I've also made skins for them out of vinyl, and attached them with double stick tape. Those are fun, cheap, and easy.

wingsprouts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
I have the 18650, The battery cover and cone is made out of aluminum. The bubbles in the paint job are because you needed to mix the paint more and maybe needed a lighter coat of paint on what you where trying to paint. I would look for a paint that would work on alumium and keep the coats of paint light around the top of the tip of the cone, Not to much room if you put a heavy coat of paint. Clean the surface of the cone real good before your first coat, And let it dry. You can get new ones for $ 4 to 5.

Thank you Gatoman! I think I was pretty heavy handed with the spray paint (it dripped in a couple of places), so that makes a lot a sense about the bubbles. It's aluminum! good to know, probably wont rust on me. Really appreciate the advice, I don't want to mess this thing up, have just searched for baby blue batts for nearly 3 months, found one kit but it was very expensive. This will be perfect, thank you so so much for helping me out :)

wingsprouts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
I couldn't get spray paint to stick to an ecig for very long at all. I got it on there, and looking moderately good, but it scratches off even with a clear coat on top.

Nail polish works well if you can get it on in even coats, and use a good topcoat. I've also made skins for them out of vinyl, and attached them with double stick tape. Those are fun, cheap, and easy.

No way!!! That's so smart! How did you do that and were do you get your vinyl from? Thanks for telling me you didn't have luck with the paint, might have looked really bad and even worse if I tried to remove it. Or maybe I should try, and then make a skin to cover it if things go badly. Do you have to know how to sew to make a vinyl skin?

wingsprouts

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
If you tried...
You would have to rough up the surface, then dang good primer, then good paint & clear, then wetsand it. Just a thought, never tried. It would depend on how hard he is on them.

* Making a nice sleave on a lanyand would work out better? Many fabrics out there...

Thank you paulsonlaw! What is wetsanding?

riverwhiskey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Lohman Missouri
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread