Need e cigarette recommedations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikev

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2010
Maple Grove, Minnesota
well most are gonna tell you to get a joye ego kit. it comes with two complete pv's. I would go to cignot.com and check out the one she has for 59.00. Vicki is very nice and will help you if you email her and tell her you're a newbie. maybe she can tell you a juice to try

Welcome mickyvap :) congrats on making the move! I have to laugh... tybin said the exact thing is was gonna say :) an eGo from cignot.com great PV and great, quick service too! Good luck

mle

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
Colorado
I just started vaping too and settled on a kr808 with a manual battery. It's compact and portable, uses cartos so you don't have to mess with attys, and to me it seemed like the best place to start. I got mine from cigeasy for a fair price and it shipped fast, but there are a lot of different suppliers. Honestly, it seems like it's more a personal preference for the each individual. Decide what you want and see what fits best. Good luck!

LesStrater

Oct 20, 2010
ChicagoLand
I smoke Malboro red, Pyramid red, Seneca red.

If your intention is to quit smoking my advice is that you spend a few weeks getting used to a lighter cigarette before switching to an e-cig. There is no way you are going to get the kind of hit off an e-cig like you do a Marlboro Red.
I however had no problem switching from Marlboro Menthol Ultra-Lights to a menthol e-cig. It was actually harder stepping down to the Ultra-Light from a regular Marlboro. It's not the nicotine you're going to miss, it's that big throat and lung hit.

mikev

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2010
Maple Grove, Minnesota
If your intention is to quit smoking my advice is that you spend a few weeks getting used to a lighter cigarette before switching to an e-cig. There is no way you are going to get the kind of hit off an e-cig like you do a Marlboro Red.
I however had no problem switching from Marlboro Menthol Ultra-Lights to a menthol e-cig. It was actually harder stepping down to the Ultra-Light from a regular Marlboro. It's not the nicotine you're going to miss, it's that big throat and lung hit.

I actually wouldn't put off buying an e-cig OR starting even for a week or a day. go ahead and get your stuff and start! :) don't set you goals too lofty, like you're never gonna smoke another analog after you get your PV, for me it worked like that, been over 7 months now, and I smoked for 33 years every kind of cig you can think of :) but a LOT of people take a little time to completely quit cigs! they slowly phase them out for all vaping... everyone is different, but my advice stands DO NOT put off starting with vaping! you'll adjust just fine :)

I can totally relate to your confusion. I spent 2 weeks reading ECF every spare moment and I thought my head was going to explode. Finally I read a post that basically said just order a starter kit, you'll need to replace things anyway and you'll never know what you like until you try it. That was excellent advice. I saw that most liked the 510, but many of those went on to get an Ego. I couldn't decide what to do so went to Cignot and ordered an Ego starter kit and a 510 no-box starter kit that included a 510 pass through, 2 boxes of 510 cartomizers which I could use on both sets, 30ml of Ecopure 30mg vg liquid, 18.5ml of Basic VG 25mg Cherry Coke, and the Ego kit included 2 sample bottles of liquid so I ordered one tobacco and a cappucino. The pass through was very important to me because I knew by the time I received the kit I wouldn't want to wait for the batteries to charge properly. I also paid $3.00 for priority mail (standard shipping was free) because at that point I wanted it yesterday. Placed the order at 3:30am and I received a confirmation right away and Vicky at Cignot shipped it by 1:30pm ON A SATURDAY. I had the kit in the mail the following Tuesday, October 19th at 1:00pm and felt like a kid on Christmas morning. I haven't smoked since and I have 3 packs of cigarettes on my desk. I had chain smoked for more than 30 years, and was averaging just under 3 packs a day. In my state cigarettes run around 6.30 a pack if you buy them at the right places and by the carton. I still can't believe I was able to quit, but now that it's been 3 weeks, I can't believe I ever smoked that much. I am incredibly grateful to ECF because everything I bought has turned out to be just what I needed to quit smoking and that is just miraculous to me. When I placed the order with Cignot, I told them it was my first order and asked for advice or suggestions on the order. Turned out I had ordered some carts that wouldn't have worked so Vicki emailed me to ask what to do. I didn't get her email on time, so she substituted something I could use. She is super and I can't recommend Cignot highly enough. The cherry cola eliquid has been my all day favorite, even after ordering a ton of juice and equipment from other suppliers. I have placed an order with Cignot every week since because I am now equipping family members, and they all like the cherry cola best too. By the way, for equipping friends and family to try things out I have ordered Ego usb pass through batteries and cones and 510 cartos. It's a pretty reasonable way to do it and they can get by with just one battery to start.
Sorry this was so long, just hoping it will save someone some time and wanted to say thank you to all of you.

kenmhall1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
OKC
I started off with the kr808d-1...not great life, but if you want something more analog "looking" then that's a good way to go - if you don't care what it looks like AND you want it to last for hours between charges with heavy vaping - I'd go for the Riva Ego (over the Joye eGo) since people seem to like the button better than the Joye and the batteries are 750mAh over the Joye 650mAh (yes you can get the eGo with 900mAh batts - but they're even bigger) - anywhos...I just ordered a couple Riva kits from ecigmall.com...Kevin's got the Riva starters (2x 750mAh batts, 2 attys, cone, chargers, etc) for $45 shipped - best price I could find - other than liberty flights, but theirs were out of stock...my $.02 :)

-k

LesStrater

Oct 20, 2010
ChicagoLand
I know a lot of people won't agree with me - but there's nothing wrong with spending 20 bucks for an NJoy at your local 7/11 to play around with and discover what e-cigs are all about. You can buy empty replacement cartos for it for $8 and experiment with different juices while you investigate the full range of PV's available to you. That's probably the cheapest way to get into it...

MichelleDen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2010
Denmark
Yearh theres no way around it... Just trynerror. I loove the kr8, especially on a 180mAh 510 batt... So soft the TH, wich is what I like best.. The ego( with carto) is way to harsh in the morning... can use it sometimes, mostly if im out of power on small batts... Or with drinking... when tipsy, its good with a bigger batt..

Cartos are good for TH though. On a big device they pack a wollop-- Standard attys, are unreliableIMO and they need high voltage to perform... but thats just me

haft2doit

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
erie, PA
If you don't want to go through the months of trial and error. (I think its the fun part about these pv's) Then I'll just tell you what I've ended up with.

My current recommendation would be to get a 3.7 device with a battery life that will last all day from when you get up till you go to sleep and 3.0ohm E2 R4 XL Cartomizers, which will give you the longest time between fills (all day for me) and there is no leaking all over the place like regular cartos and attys. This combo will give you the most hassle free vaping I have found. (my desk was a mess with eliquid, paper towels, paperclips, ect... I now have it down to one eliquid bottle with a syringe tip a carto and the device. I vape 2-3ml a day at 11mg so I need at least an 800mah battery to make the day. Some may be able to use a little 510 battery all day it really depends on how much you intend (or end up) vaping.

Last edited:

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
The standard answers will be KR808D-1(808) or 510/Riva/eGo. These represent two different batteries, with different connectors.

The 808 family is what I use. It's 3.7V output, which for a given resistance atomizer (the thing that heats the liquid and makes the vapor) will produce more power, more vapor, than the 510 family. It's normally used as a two piece -- the battery and what looks like a cig filter, a cartomimzer/carto, a combined cartridge holding the liquid plus atomizer.

The standard 808 battery is 250 - 280 mAh (the current rating), seems to give me about 2-1/2 - 3 hours of moderate use between charges. It plus carto is about the length of a 100mm cigarette. The XL (or Mega, in NHaler terminology) 808 battery is 380 mAh, noticeably longer time between charges, about 1" longer than a standard battery. NHaker also carries a Greenworld G400, a 900 mAh battery that really runs a quite long time between recharging; this battery is a bit thicker than the other two, and length is in between a standard and an XL, and it has a black matte rubbery finish (I find it nice to hold).

There are both automatic (auto) and manual batteries. I've tried both, use auto most of the time -- just have one manual passthrough (PT) at work right now. The current 808 autos at least seem pretty decent, I find it more natural to use them than to push a little button to get vapor.

The 510/Rvia/eGo family are also quite popular. 510 is a smallish battery, supposedly not great run time but many like it; you can get a personal charging case (PCC) for it, same for the 808, to charge it on the go, while away from a power source. eGo is a bigger (physically) 510 family vaporizer, still 3.2V usable output, battery size anywhere from around 650 to around 1000 mAh. Riva is a lower priced large battery variant. These units are generally used as a three piece, seoarate cartridge and atomizer, though there are more cartos now coming out for them.

Me, I went 808, quickly added some XL/Mega batteries, bought a set of G400 batteries after 90 days smoke free. I really like the G400, keep standard 808 stuff around for backups or loaners for people to try. I've added a couple of passthroughs (basically a connector at one end and the other end has a USB connector that you plug into a power source), one in my car and one at work.

As I said elsewhere, NHaler and vapor4life are my main sources for hardware, though I've had good experiences also with analogalternative and with vaporsetc (the place that's out of Rochester).

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread