Status
Not open for further replies.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
I need some links to really good, "clicky feel" switches.
18mm or smaller. (not too small. I really don't like the little tiny ones)

The kind like on the silver bullet or monkeybox is the type I'm looking for.
I want to feel the click.
I want it to be flat and smooth (not concave or convex)
I want it to last.
I don't mind paying for good ones.

I know you modders can help me out.

We've been using some I got I can't remember where and they work for about 4 months then have to be replaced. They just wear out.

Thank you so much for any help.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
Thanks Java, but please stupid it down for me. Hubby's the builder and I told him I need better switches.
He said "order them I'll put them in the boxes".

So...
What amp and V shoud I get for a vv box mod?
Anything else I should know?

And I don't see a way to order like 6 switches from that place.

Thank you so much for your time.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Thats the manufacture web site. If you use the configure button on the switch page it will show you places that have them in stock. I just took a guess but i picked a PV2 series flat with solder lugs and polished stainless steel and got this link to the switches for sale. E-SWITCH - PV2F240SS - PV2 - ANTI-VANDAL SWITCH FLAT - Straight Road Electronics

As far as amps and volts go usually we say 12 volts 3 amps. But you have to factor both to get a true idea. These switches are rated @ 48 volts 2 amps. Which if you factor the wattage on both you will find a 48 volt 2 amp rating ran at 12 volts would be about 8 amps. Amps at lower voltages are a bit more damaging so a switch company would maybe give a 48 volt 2 amp switch a 12 volt 6.5 amp rating. In any case these switches are more the capable of handling anything you can throw at them vape wise.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
Thank you, Tommy.
That's also a very nice one.
I have a "touch switch" but my skin is dry and I'm not a fan of licking my fingers, (most especially while I'm mucking the barn)
I do try to keep slight fingernails so I dunno if I could use this one.

I have another question.
From my limited understanding, I thought a switch could ne rated "too good". Will a switch rated at (I'm just picking numbers out of air) 15 amps fire a vv box if say, I wanna turn it down to 3.0 and run a LR carto?

Thank you so much, Guys (and girls are welcome to help me) for all your patient help.

Edit: The PV3 Series hen I hit "configure" says "base voltage 6V" will that fire my box set at like, 4V?

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
The amp rating on the switches is related to how much current they can handle. If you throw 15 amps (impossible in our demographic) at a 3 amp switch it will burn the contacts. If you thro 3 amps at a 15 amp switch it will carry the current like butter. Higher amp rating is not relative to how "little" current you use. It's the switch's tolerance. Kinda like if you have a 1 gallon jug. Will it handle 1 pint? Yes! Many times.

I get thes little d00dz: SPST-N.O. Push Button Switch, Polished Metal-MPJA, Inc.

Princessdee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2009
PA, USA
The amp rating on the switches is related to how much current they can handle. If you throw 15 amps (impossible in our demographic) at a 3 amp switch it will burn the contacts. If you thro 3 amps at a 15 amp switch it will carry the current like butter. Higher amp rating is not relative to how "little" current you use. It's the switch's tolerance. Kinda like if you have a 1 gallon jug. Will it handle 1 pint? Yes! Many times.

I get thes little d00dz: SPST-N.O. Push Button Switch, Polished Metal-MPJA, Inc.

I like the looks of that. Is it "clicky"?
Will my finger with a nail a bit long-ish go down in there to push it or does it not go down too far when it's pushed?
Thank you

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I've drilled out the mounting hole and used epoxy around the entire body of the switch after the trim ring popped off one for me, too. There are 100g switches identical to this on page 3 of switches at the same vendor that aren't that hard to press. I like the clickie-ness and small footprint of these. Real estate is hard to come by in some mods with alotta hardware included. These allow more stuff.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Yeah, We have about 4 of those in the parts box. They're not the most durable switches. And they hurt my fingers to press them.

Thanks tho, for your input. I'm still looking for ideas.

Someone making mods for sale sent me a pm of the buttons he used but my box got full and I deleted it.

To fit in that small space and also big on the big side these switches here are the only ones i know of. JF15CP2H NKK Switches | JF15CP2H-ND | DigiKey
But you going to run into the same problem as the ones in the box if you dont use a mosfet with them. They are rated @ 50mA just like the small stainless steel dome ones. Really i am surprised they last as long as they do for some folks pumping close to 2 amps threw a switch rated @ 50mA. That switch is 17mm and very clicky i have quite a few of them. But cant stress this enough they need to be used with a mosfet.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
so why should I use that one instead of one rated for over 2 amps? I'm not understanding.
Is it just because the higher rated ones are too tall to fit in the box or what?

(Edit: I'm using 3 X aa boxes)

Thanks so much for your patience with me.

You want a big switch and you got a small box to put it in. The 2 amp switches are too deep to fit. If you use a mosfet it in turn acts as the main switch. The tactile switch turns the mosfet on. But it does it with a voltage and just about no amperage to speak of. So mosfets will let you use these logic level tactile switches on high amperage devices. Really i dont see any other option if you want a big round switch you might find a small round one that will fit thats rated high enough to last by itself but as far as i know the the PV2 series switches are the shortest i know of. even if you go down to a 12mm they are still fairly long. depending on the person soldering skillz you can get a mosfet rated up to 6 amps that is smaller then the size of a pea. here is a video that goes into how a n channel mosfet works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread