need help battery vs. tube size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harleymedic53

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Appleton, Wisconsin
Hey, i wanna build a tube mod out of copper pipe. Will a 18350 batt FOR SURE fit in a 3/4" pipe? I was gonna use copper pipe and the end caps fit over it. Im askin if they will deff fit cuz i've read the copper pipe mod threads and he used a 14500 batt in a 1/2" copper pipe. I have 2 14500 batts and neither will fit in those pipes when i go to the hard ware store. If a 18350 wont fit i'll use a 16340. I jus need to no cuz i wanna order a batt soon for the mod

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
The pipe I use is plain ol' NSF 61 copper tubing for potable (not portable) drinking water systems. Simple house plumbing copper. It measures 0.571" ID and 0.628" OD. My Trustfire 14500 protected batteries are all around 0.56". I have 16 of these batteries and there is not one of them that will not fit and slide inside this pipe.

The 3/4" tubing I use is 0.81" ID and 0.875" OD. Again, it is plain ol' NSF 61 standard copper tubing for drinking water. Ultrafire and Trustfire 18650 are around 0.72".

These are plain ol' hardware store copper pipe sizes. Standard sizes. I can't imagine what else you would be finding at a hardware store or a place like Lowz or HD. If your 14500 batteries won't fit in this half inch pipe it is only because there is a cutting burr inside that needs to be filed or sanded out of the way. Or you have bad batteries.

If the tubing was cut with a hack saw, all bets are off because it may be deformed

Weekend_warrior1999

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2010
Sullivan, Indiana
If he was sampling the pipes at the store with a batt in hand I bet they wouldn't fit due to the pipe being cut at the manufacturer with a tubing cutter. The tubing cutter deforms the last 1-2mm edge of the pipe and tapers it inward. I hacksaw used to slowly cut the pipe above the original factory edge should yield better results.

WillyB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
USA
The pipe I use is plain ol' NSF 61 copper tubing for potable (not portable) drinking water systems. Simple house plumbing copper. It measures 0.571" ID and 0.628" OD. My Trustfire 14500 protected batteries are all around 0.56". I have 16 of these batteries and there is not one of them that will not fit and slide inside this pipe.

These are plain ol' hardware store copper pipe sizes. Standard sizes. I can't imagine what else you would be finding at a hardware store or a place like Lowz or HD. If your 14500 batteries won't fit in this half inch pipe it is only because there is a cutting burr inside that needs to be filed or sanded out of the way. Or you have bad batteries.

If the tubing was cut with a hack saw, all bets are off because it may be deformed
Never quite seen it referred to as such. The copper pipe I see is usually Type M or L, there is also K but home centers usually don't carry it. The 'L' has a smaller ID than the 'M'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread