need help with caramel apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyrigger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So i just added caramel candy and apple, both tfa, to my collection with the intent of mixing something close to those caramel apple suckers. The tfa apple smells great, like a jolly rancher apple, but I'm having trouble getting the flavor to come through as rich as the smell. I've tried mixing it into some no nic 50/50 starting at 5% and so far I'm up to 20%, but the taste when i vape it is so muted, like i can almost taste it but then again it could be my mind playing with me cause it knows the flavor should be there. It has me very frustrated to say the least because i can't start figuring out how much caramel to add until i can at least taste the apple on its own. At the end of my testing session tonight i even tried a couple drops of the 20% flavor mix directly on my tongue and it tasted exactly like an apple jolly rancher but stronger, but i can barely tell its in my juice when i vape it.:unsure: Does anyone have some expirience with this one that they'd be willing to share?

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
The apple was only at 6%, and at first, it was just 8% TFA Milk Chocolate and the Apple. Then, I added 4 drops of LA Chocolate... even later, I added an additional 4 drops of the LA Chocolate. So, the end result was:

8% TFA Milk chocolate
8 drops LA Chocolate
6% TFA Apple

As for the total %, I don't know. Since I was vaping on it through the adding flavor stage, I don't have a conclusive %. For what it's worth, I can still taste the apple at 6%, even with all of the chocolate.

~Sue~Feb2012

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I'm all over this forum today. I saw this thread and thought "hmmm, where do I get one of those carmel apple suckers? Sounds good." Is it a brand of candy I could pick up somewhere? Wait... just googled it. A lollipop from the Tootie Roll Company? LOL
I'll have to get some. I love eating carmel apples. I love apples period. :p Don't like apple candy though. They taste odd and off-putting.

So, using a 1 ml syringe, I put .1 ml of TPA Apple and .1 ml of Carmel Candy in 2ml of my nic base. It tastes ok. I added .1 ml of TPA Chocolate and it's pretty good. I taste apple mainly. (no steeping here, I just made this and shook it up, after seeing and reading the OP and Levitas post.) (Each of the " .1ml " was approximately the equivalent of 5 drops.)
Now I just tweaked it by adding another .1 ml of carmel candy. Nope. I liked it better when I was mainly tasting apple lol.

10 minutes later, now I added another .1 ml of apple and .1ml of chocolate and it's back to tasting mainly apple, but I essentially doubled my flavor percentages and in general it's more muted tasting, however. Go figure.

Now I've diluted it with more nic base. Basically I'm at square one and liking it. Good recipe :) My point would be to use really low percentages of these flavors to start with. They became muted when I doubled them. This DIYing is crazy fun :blink:

dirtyrigger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
By my math you started ~4% apple. I think the problem was more with my taste buds than anything cause i added a small amount of my apple test liquid to my tobacco liquid and the apple its just as strong in that juice as it is on its own(like a background flavor). I have the same problem with blueberry extra, something about fruits i guess,they almost all taste mellow to me, never got into fruits when i bought premixed juices so i wasn't expecting this.

dirtyrigger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I've never really had the patience to steep much, but i always do hot water baths. The only real success I've had with fruit flavors was honeydew and it was great from the word go. I'm still letting the test batch breath, its going on three days now, but I've pretty much decided that the worst case scenario is going to be an apple ry4 which isn't exactly a bad thing, just not what i was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread