Need help with iClear 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeanneK

Jan 30, 2018
I have recently upgraded from a Kanger MT3S system because I was sick and tired of leaking constantly. My new setup is an innokin iClear30 Rotatable, 2.1 ohm coils, an Innokin MVP4 100W TC, and I primarily use 70/30 pg/vg from Ecblend and also have tried VaporFi 50/50 juice. I don't know what I am doing wrong. If I put the VW on 6.5, I get constant gurgling. If I increase, I usually end up with a slightly burnt taste that gets worse the higher I go. When I put in a new coil, I always let it sit for at least 6 hours to wick up the juice and I never go above about 2.2 on the fill.

I guess my question is, am I doing something wrong? Is there anything else I can try to get this to work properly? And if there aren't any tips, can someone recommend another tank I can use with my battery? I just don't want to waste more money willy nilly (I still have like 12 more coils for current tank). There are so many websites out there it gets overwhelming. I appreciate ANY help someone can provide.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I have recently upgraded from a Kanger MT3S system because I was sick and tired of leaking constantly. My new setup is an Innokin iClear30 Rotatable, 2.1 ohm coils, an Innokin MVP4 100W TC, and I primarily use 70/30 pg/vg from Ecblend and also have tried VaporFi 50/50 juice. I don't know what I am doing wrong. If I put the VW on 6.5, I get constant gurgling. If I increase, I usually end up with a slightly burnt taste that gets worse the higher I go. When I put in a new coil, I always let it sit for at least 6 hours to wick up the juice and I never go above about 2.2 on the fill.

I guess my question is, am I doing something wrong? Is there anything else I can try to get this to work properly? And if there aren't any tips, can someone recommend another tank I can use with my battery? I just don't want to waste more money willy nilly (I still have like 12 more coils for current tank). There are so many websites out there it gets overwhelming. I appreciate ANY help someone can provide.
    Blow it out and crank it up a bit? 7.5W shouldn't burn. I know the feeling, all my old Smok carto's would gurgle and burn also. Probably some good tips using the search feature. Seemed like a good tank for the time.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    This is just a thought, but after sitting for 6 hours your coil might be a little over saturated. When you first start vaping, if that's the case, you will likely get a little gurgling until you vape away the excess in your coil.

You might just try some extra patience when first vaping and see if you can vape away the gurgle.

If you cannot, then go up .5 watts for a while and see if you can't vape away... you may just need to throttle up and down somewhat.

dom qp

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2015
    South Central... Ontario
    I had one of these with my MVP2 and Jesus did I hate it.

I never got the gurgling but it was really finnicky. I hated having to constantly twirl it around to make sure those ropes were picking up juice. I hated how it seemed like they degraded. I really hated how I would often get dry hits for no reason, until I would close the airflow and suck on it like I was doing it for money.

I would follow the advice above, but as you mentioned recommendations for a tank that works:

I would go with the tried and tested Aspire Nautilus Mini:

aspire-nautilus.jpg

Or the Nautilus 2:

2.png

Both of these use the same coil and are cheap to super cheap. Especially the original Nautilus.

Generally it seems like people find the 2nd version better, but you need to screw it upside down so it doesn't leak.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    Hi and welcome. I can agree with the above. Try setting the watts up .5W at a time, see if you can get past the gurgling. I used the iClear 30 with the swivel mouthpiece back in the day, when this was high-tech:

iTaste-vtr-2.jpg

A mighty 15 watts, it was, and it would burn coils that high as well. I moved on from the iClear30 to the Aspire Nautilus 1, and never looked back. If you really can't fix it by jiggering the wattage, a Nauti is probably the right idea.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    I have recently upgraded from a Kanger MT3S system because I was sick and tired of leaking constantly. My new setup is an Innokin iClear30 Rotatable, 2.1 ohm coils, an Innokin MVP4 100W TC, and I primarily use 70/30 pg/vg from Ecblend and also have tried VaporFi 50/50 juice. I don't know what I am doing wrong. If I put the VW on 6.5, I get constant gurgling. If I increase, I usually end up with a slightly burnt taste that gets worse the higher I go. When I put in a new coil, I always let it sit for at least 6 hours to wick up the juice and I never go above about 2.2 on the fill.
    Welcome and glad you joined.
    By reading the vape information below, hopefully you will understand more about it.
    Might like to read:
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...auses-crackling-popping-during-vaping.774891/
    When to change replaceable coils for your e cigs
    Tank Flooding Explained | Learning Center | VaVaVape
    Most Frequently Asked Vaping Questions Part 2
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...atomizers-for-new-vapists-how-they-work.5250/
    How many watts do you vape at?
    https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/tfv8-leaking.766439/

WeanneK

Jan 30, 2018
    I had one of these with my MVP2 and Jesus did I hate it.

I never got the gurgling but it was really finnicky. I hated having to constantly twirl it around to make sure those ropes were picking up juice. I hated how it seemed like they degraded. I really hated how I would often get dry hits for no reason, until I would close the airflow and suck on it like I was doing it for money.

I would follow the advice above, but as you mentioned recommendations for a tank that works:

I would go with the tried and tested Aspire Nautilus Mini:

aspire-nautilus.jpg

Or the Nautilus 2:

2.png

Both of these use the same coil and are cheap to super cheap. Especially the original Nautilus.

Generally it seems like people find the 2nd version better, but you need to screw it upside down so it doesn't leak.

OK your post made my night!! Doing it for money . Thanks for that...

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I used the original iClear 30 a few years ago. I actually found it to be a pretty good tank considering it was a clearomizer. (I was mainly a cartotank guy.)

Being an early generation clearomizer, it used multiple silica strings as a wick; silica didn't turn out to be an ideal wicking material. Silica has fortunately been replaced with cotton wick in the latest generation of clearomizer tanks, a much better and efficient wicking material.

It's 2018 and you are using 2014 technology. Update to a new tank.

Gurgling is a symptom of flooding. Quite often, this is a result of over-filling the tank, using an e-liquid that is heavy on the Pg side of the Pg/Vg ratio (thinner e-liquid will flood or leak more readily in a tank), or using a poor inhalation technique. I suggest using a gentler, longer draw because a harder draw will pull more e-liquid into the actual coil and cause flooding and excess liquid in the air chamber.

Burnt taste can result from a variety of factors, too. Being a top coil tank, the iClear 30 needed the user to swirl the liquid around between draws to keep the silica wet. Top coil tanks thus were more prone to dry hits or burnt taste.

I can't fault the suggestions of an Aspire Nautilus. It's a proven-over-time tank, has a mouth-to-lung draw that most beginners prefer, and functions well with an moderately powered battery device. The only downside I can find is its a bottom fill tank; top fill tanks are so much easier and convenient.

Another tank I suggest would be the original Authentic Uwell Crown Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer . Technically it is a sub-ohm tank, but you don't have to sub-ohm with it. It has 1.2 ohm coils available for it as well as sub-ohm coils. It is an easy top fill (4ml capacity). It has a ratcheted air control ring which allows wide open direct lung draws down to a tight mouth-to-lung draw. It has a wide bore mouthpiece, but you can always replace it with any inexpensive small bore mouthpiece if you desire. Great flavor, a lot of vapor. Very versatile for just about any style of vaper.

Tip: About once a week, put a Q-tip through the mouthpiece down into the coil area. Coils naturally accumulate a bit of gunk from unvaporized sugars in the e-liquid, and removing this substance will prolong the life of the coils. I get up to 4 weeks with my coils.

Might like to read: Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Last edited:

WeanneK

Jan 30, 2018
    I used the original iClear 30 a few years ago. I actually found it to be a pretty good tank considering it was a clearomizer. (I was mainly a cartotank guy.)

Being an early generation clearomizer, it used multiple silica strings as a wick; silica didn't turn out to be an ideal wicking material. Silica has fortunately been replaced with cotton wick in the latest generation of clearomizer tanks, a much better and efficient wicking material.

It's 2018 and you are using 2014 technology. Update to a new tank.

Gurgling is a symptom of flooding. Quite often, this is a result of over-filling the tank, using an e-liquid that is heavy on the Pg side of the Pg/Vg ratio (thinner e-liquid will flood or leak more readily in a tank), or using a poor inhalation technique. I suggest using a gentler, longer draw because a harder draw will pull more e-liquid into the actual coil and cause flooding and excess liquid in the air chamber.

Burnt taste can result from a variety of factors, too. Being a top coil tank, the iClear 30 needed the user to swirl the liquid around between draws to keep the silica wet. Top coil tanks thus were more prone to dry hits or burnt taste.

I can't fault the suggestions of an Aspire Nautilus. It's a proven-over-time tank, has a mouth-to-lung draw that most beginners prefer, and functions well with an moderately powered battery device. The only downside I can find is its a bottom fill tank; top fill tanks are so much easier and convenient.

Another tank I suggest would be the original Authentic Uwell Crown Sub Ohm Tank Clearomizer . Technically it is a sub-ohm tank, but you don't have to sub-ohm with it. It has 1.2 ohm coils available for it as well as sub-ohm coils. It is an easy top fill (4ml capacity). It has a ratcheted air control ring which allows wide open direct lung draws down to a tight mouth-to-lung draw. It has a wide bore mouthpiece, but you can always replace it with any inexpensive small bore mouthpiece if you desire. Great flavor, a lot of vapor. Very versatile for just about any style of vaper.

Tip: About once a week, put a Q-tip through the mouthpiece down into the coil area. Coils naturally accumulate a bit of gunk from unvaporized sugars in the e-liquid, and removing this substance will prolong the life of the coils. I get up to 4 weeks with my coils.

Might like to read: Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Thanks so much! This was fantastic information. I am not new to caping, but just now getting around to upgrading to more powerful equipment. So in that sense, I am a complete newbie. I am definitely going to order that tank you suggested. Do you still recommend a higher VG juice? I need to place an order for new juice soon and will get what you recommend for that tank. Again, mich appreciated for all of the information.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I am definitely going to order that tank you suggested. Do you still recommend a higher VG juice? I need to place an order for new juice soon and will get what you recommend for that tank.
    You can use any e-liquid you want. I have never had any leaking with the Crown 1, and I have three of them (different flavors in each). I tend to use a heavier Vg ratio in my e-liquids because I don't care for a lot of Pg, and have even used a 100% Vg flavor and the coils still wick great.

Reactions: stols001

Skunk!

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 25, 2014
    Las Vegas
    I used to use iclear30s almost exclusively when I first started. Old tanks can be really finnicky. Dont fill it all the way. I ran mine at 8.0 watts. The coils dont last very long compared to todays standards. You are looking at a couple weeks per coil unless you clean them. LOW power dry burn and then rinse with vodka then water and let dry. I used to keep mine between 1/4 and 3/4 full and slowly spin the device horizontally to saturate the wicks without flooding it. It is a top coil, so if it floods you will get all the juice in your mouth. Welcome to vaping 2013. This is why mech mods and rda's were so popular back then. If you want I have a 30s or two laying around and maybe some coils. If you are looking for a new tank in the same power range, I would suggest the nautilus or nautilus x. In the sub ohm tanks I have been happy with the Crown, Clieto, and Baby Beast. If you get a Beast tank get the newer one with the locking button, trust me on that. Technology has improved so much over the years, and prices are very low for what you get. Look around and see whats out there. Anything out today blows the doors off an iclear...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread