Need help with RBA please!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Howard

Jul 24, 2018
hi

I’m new to rba coils. I have a wismec gnome which I’ve jus got some rba’s for. I’ve connected 2 0.2 ohm coils but the centre of the base contains plastic which melts when used. I tried covering it with cotton to prevent direct heat from the coils but this prevents air flow. I got a feeling this is down to my rba virginity.

Any advice? Or is the wm rba just pants?

Ta
Graham

Ps I got 2 of these in, 0.20 option

Attachments

• 66C071CC-BB38-4192-84C7-508565EC15EB.jpeg
    66C071CC-BB38-4192-84C7-508565EC15EB.jpeg
    658.1 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Diver9543

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
What wattage level are you vaping at? How are you melting plastic inside the build deck, and by plastic do you mean the insulator material that separates the positive side from the negative side? If yiu're melting anything you're doing something drastically wrong. More info please.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome:)
Let’s untangle the terms so we can figure out what is even going on, because right now it’s sounding like kind of a mess.
The wismec GNOME is a coil cartridge tank. It’s not an RBA at all. No power device is even mentioned. Are you trying to TURN a gnome into an RBA?

At the word “melt” though I do have some basic advice: disconnect any power source, step away from the vape and await further instruction.

There are some very basic terminology issues here.
@BrotherBob or @Baditude or any of a number of folk would likely have some great links on reading for you to do to get clearer on what’s being discussed.

All I can do is flap my arms helplessly and shoot looks of utter confusion.

This whole thing is so basically messed up it reminds me of IRC and goldfish. (Long story)

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Okay, sorry if this is evident but first, two .2 ohm coils equals .1 ohm. That’s really low. For someone who is new to RBAs, you certainly are pushing your luck.

I’m not familiar with your Wismec, but some mods won’t even fire that.

That’s not what’s going wrong here, just thought I’d point that out.

Those coils do get hot, and could melt something if they’re too close. I wouldn’t think the insulator, but what else could be plastic in there?

Regardless, if it were me, I’d throw that tank out. It may or may not have been faulty to start with, but once something has melted inside it, I’d deem it unsafe whether it was the insulator or not. But especially if it was.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Howdy and welcome:)
Let’s untangle the terms so we can figure out what is even going on, because right now it’s sounding like kind of a mess.
The wismec GNOME is a coil cartridge tank. It’s not an RBA at all. No power device is even mentioned. Are you trying to TURN a gnome into an RBA?

At the word “melt” though I do have some basic advice: disconnect any power source, step away from the vape and await further instruction.

There are some very basic terminology issues here.
@BrotherBob or @Baditude or any of a number of folk would likely have some great links on reading for you to do to get clearer on what’s being discussed.

All I can do is flap my arms helplessly and shoot looks of utter confusion.

This whole thing is so basically messed up it reminds me of IRC and goldfish. (Long story)

I thought the same, so I googled it. Apparently there’s a rba deck you can get for that.

So rest your weary flapping arms, friend. You’re not crazy, the rest of the world is.

And OP, another bit of advice... a jack of all trades is a master of none. You want to build, you want to buy an atty expressly made for that, not one that’s bi-vapeual

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    Looking at that RBA head on https://www.heavengifts.com/product/WISMEC-WM-RBA-Kit-for-Gnome.html it has a huge insulator next to the coils. I would advise against glowing the coils on that Gnome RBA head, it's not engineered for it, but if you do, make sure the coils are as far away from the insulator as possible without touching the outer shell, and make sure to stop firing them once they begin to turn red. May be a good idea to throw it away and get a new RBA head or a real RTA.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I thought the same, so I googled it. Apparently there’s a rba deck you can get for that.

So rest your weary flapping arms, friend. You’re not crazy, the rest of the world is.

And OP, another bit of advice... a jack of all trades is a master of none. You want to build, you want to buy an atty expressly made for that, not one that’s bi-vapeual
    Useful info. I wonder if he’s trying to do it without the RTA deck or something. Need more data. I think I can find it now though. Thanks :)

Reactions: DeloresRose

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Ok I think I’m back on track here. A bit of review:

-It’s still a sub ohm tank but they also sell rebuildable coil cartridges. They’re not even decks, really. A deck would be open. These things are totally enclosed. There’s the terminology issue.

-The OP built one of these cartridges and may very well may have completely overloaded it with a super sub ohm build and too much power, thereby melting the insulator either through electrical arcing or simply coil heat.

Depending on what exactly causes the insulator failure, it could have damaged the tank below it or the batteries in his power system as well. I’d like to see a photo of the melted bit myself. Also what was the power system?

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    hi

I’m new to rba coils. I have a wismec gnome which I’ve jus got some rba’s for. I’ve connected 2 0.2 ohm coils but the centre of the base contains plastic which melts when used. I tried covering it with cotton to prevent direct heat from the coils but this prevents air flow. I got a feeling this is down to my rba virginity.

Any advice? Or is the wm rba just pants?

Ta
    Graham

Ps I got 2 of these in, 0.20 option
    Welcome to ECF
    My answer is the same ss on vu, your build is 0.1 and too hot for that rba head. Try a pair of 1.0 ohm coils for a resistance of 0.5.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
    Sep 16, 2017

Bi-vapeual. :lol::lol:

Reactions: DeloresRose
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread