Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
So, I use the standard AW batteries for my grand and my mini. After reading some on ECF, I bought the xtar charger so I can see what voltage I am at. But, I'm feeling like I'm always charging batteries if that makes sense. A grand battery doesn't last me through the whole day. I can see when it's maxed out at 4.20 but notice that my vape really changes if I drop in the 3.6-3.8 range. I was told if it drops below 2.5 to just trash them but I have yet to see this. But, if I have a fully charged battery and I don't use it for 24 hours, how much would I expect to see the voltage drop by just sitting? Just trying to figure out when to trash them and start completely over. I haven't seen any get as low as 2.5, but to me they don't seem to be holding a charge like they should be? Just wondering what everyone else's rule of thumb is on this topic.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
What ohms are you running?

How old are the batteries?

I have AW IMR that are over 3 years old. They charge to 4.20. The only thing I have noticed is they don't last me quite as long.

I usually pull my batteries out to charge when they are about 3.8v.

I have lots of batteries in my rotation. Some may sit for a couple weeks after charging before use. Have not noticed the voltage drop on them while sitting.

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
I use red AW 18490 and aw 18650. So, say you fully charge a battery then let it sit for a day. When fully charged and it's at 4.20. What voltage should you expect it to be at the next day without being used? Meaning how much does it drop naturally from just sitting.
Many don't show a loss, if it dropped lower than 4.19 I'd replace.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
I use red AW 18490 and aw 18650. So, say you fully charge a battery then let it sit for a day. When fully charged and it's at 4.20. What voltage should you expect it to be at the next day without being used? Meaning how much does it drop naturally from just sitting.

I had no previous knowledge to answer that question and just checked some 18490s from a REO I had 2+ years ago and I am sure I fully charged them (4.2) when I stuck them away and now they read 4.10 so...............hardly any.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
My batteries typically do not drop much voltage when just sitting - say, to the 4.18 or 4.17V level. That said, I've never left them sit fully charged for more than about a week at most.

Not getting a full day out of a 18650 is usual for me, but I'm typically running a dual coil build in the range of .5ohms and vaping fairly regularly throughout the day. They used to last much longer when I ran 1.2ohm single coils. As others have said, there is a relationship between coil resistance and battery charge life which greatly affects how long a bat will last.

Most IMR batteries are good for 500-1000 charge cycles, so unless you've really been running them through the ringer, they are probably not at the end of their life.

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
I have an xtar and charge at .25 if I have the time, .5 if I know I'm going to be leaving the house in a couple of hours. I have AW1600 and the new 2200s along with a mess of VTC5s. I always pull my batteries between 3.7 and 3.8. I've run them down as far as 3.65. I can tell the vape quality tapers off significantly at the 3.7 mark. My VTC5s seem to last longer. I can go from morning until the next morning and still be at 3.7. My AWs, I'll change in the late afternoon then again at lunch the next day. I seem to get about 8 hours less runtime with AWs, but they seem to linger longer in the 3.7-3.8 range. I'm running dual coiled Odins at .42 ohms, so I really can't expect any more. Really, you can tell when it's just not hitting right, and most likely, it's time to change. When a battery is getting near the end of it's useful life, it may not charge all the way up to 4.2, or when measured the next day without use, May have dropped to 3.9 or less. Then it's time to replace.

Last edited:

Lillie Bennett

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2014
Virginia
Shelf life charge loss should be about 1-2% per month. That's really good. I love these batteries and find they are real troopers. If you charge every day, that's about 3 years useful life. Lots times I want to try another, you know, bigger & better. Retire the batteries to flash lights then you'll really know when to recycle. I have a hard time detecting battery charge with my tongue. Once vaping I was really in the zone then the coils stopped firing. Debugging showed that the battery was down to 2.5, I just charged it and it's back in business. If it's life is shortened by a month I won't care.

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
Im glad you asked these questions KG... I was wondering if anyone charged at 0.25V, since I ordered an Xtar to accompany my Luc4 (which goes as low as 0.5V)...

I use the AW 1600 mah on 0.5ohm coils. I can get a good half-day to 3/4-day use, before I start to consider changing batteries. I can usually guess what that current V of the battery, and I sometimes just want more power, so I will pull them off around 3.9 if its convenient (if at home, or have a fresh battery)... Im excited to try the AW 2200mahs to maybe get a bit of a longer runtime before recharging...

I will eventually get another grand to rotate all these batteries more frequently... I now have 10 AW's between 2 grands. :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
How long does it take to charge an 18650 (1600 or 2200) on the xtar at .25? I need an extra charger and will be looking into the xtar.

It takes a while, for sure. That's why it's a good idea to have extra batteries in rotation. From 3.65V to 4.20 will take about 5 hours, for an AW2200.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread