Need tips on the least complicated cleaning methods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roosterado

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2014
willmar MN
I use Hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy aisle at the Grocery store with a spray nozzle on it. Also a Spray bottle with a mild Chlorine solution. Mist with 1 then the other. This is 10X more effective at killing bacteria,mold spores and viruses the just using 1. Rinse well with hot water then let air dry. I found this method on a Natural Cleaners website. If there is even a trace of either solutions left[not likely] both evaporate rapidly when exposed to air.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
I use Hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy aisle at the Grocery store with a spray nozzle on it. Also a Spray bottle with a mild Chlorine solution. Mist with 1 then the other. This is 10X more effective at killing bacteria,mold spores and viruses the just using 1. Rinse well with hot water then let air dry. I found this method on a Natural Cleaners website. If there is even a trace of either solutions left[not likely] both evaporate rapidly when exposed to air.

Good idea. Not at all unlike what's in dishwasher detergent. If it's rinsed well, it's gone.

Can bacteria live past being vaporized? I don't know the temp that the average coil gets to, but I guess I assumed that nothing would live through the heat.

Boiling point of VG is 290 deg C, PG is about 186. Not much would survive those temps for very long, but we cannot completely rule out droplets that have not been fully vaporized, and the temperature is not held for very long. For most folks hot tap water is fine, but for someone with a predisposing condition, such as the OP, a bit more precaution might at least provide some peace of mind. Hydrogen Peroxide and chlorine (bleach, diluted with water) are both very effective disinfectants, and using them in series as roosterado describes should kill any bacteria. Be careful with the bleach though if it will be used, since inhaling even a small of that would be bad. Perhaps roosterado would share the dilution % for the chlorine?

Personally, I think a dunk and swish in hydrogen peroxide followed by a distilled water (DW) rinse and air drying would be more than enough. Note that either hydrogen peroxide or chlorine might be rough on some equipment, such as the markings and plungers on syringes, so the DW rinse right away would minimize potential damage.

But for the OP's predisposition, vaping might not be a good idea anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread