The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Need tips on the least complicated cleaning methods?

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Zelphie, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Zelphie

Zelphie Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 29, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Im trying to gather tips on how to sanitize(or for some sterilize) all DIY equipment that is easiest and takes the least amount of time. What methods, cleaning products, and tools do you use?

Thanks!

2. Alien Traveler

Alien Traveler Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 3, 2014
    United States
  3. Zelphie

Apr 29, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Well, that was one ingredient I had planned on..

4. Fenario

Fenario Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Valley Park, MO
    yeah, I just use hot water.

5. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    If you are worried about bacteria growth, Everclear rinse seems like it would do no harm. Plus you can make a great punch with any leftovers, lol.

6. IAMREALITY

IAMREALITY Full Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Nothing more than plain old water is necessary. And not only is it the least complicated, but it's also free!!

7. roosterado

roosterado Super Member ECF Veteran

May 9, 2014
    willmar MN
    I use Hydrogen peroxide from the pharmacy aisle at the Grocery store with a spray nozzle on it. Also a Spray bottle with a mild Chlorine solution. Mist with 1 then the other. This is 10X more effective at killing bacteria,mold spores and viruses the just using 1. Rinse well with hot water then let air dry. I found this method on a Natural Cleaners website. If there is even a trace of either solutions left[not likely] both evaporate rapidly when exposed to air.

8. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    Good idea. Not at all unlike what's in dishwasher detergent. If it's rinsed well, it's gone.

9. dannyv45

dannyv45 ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    I use hot or warm water. If your doing retail then use common food services sterilization practices.

10. Mrdaputer

Mrdaputer Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 28, 2014
    MN
    Juices are water based so hot or boiling water is all you need. If your out camping in a tent how do you clean up? Boiling water

11. Leothwyn

Leothwyn Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2011
    N. California
    I just rinse my stuff in warm water too. I've never had a bottle of juice grow mold or taste rotten, and I've vaped some pretty old mixes of mine. I don't think DIY equipment growing mold or bacteria is something to worry much about.

12. Zelphie

Apr 29, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    No, just for myself. Im prone to bacterial bronchitis so I want to keep things as clean as possible.

13. Leothwyn

Leothwyn Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2011
    N. California
    Can bacteria live past being vaporized? I don't know the temp that the average coil gets to, but I guess I assumed that nothing would live through the heat.

14. Zelphie

Apr 29, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I don't know, good question though.

15. Boletus

Boletus Super Member ECF Veteran

Boiling point of VG is 290 deg C, PG is about 186. Not much would survive those temps for very long, but we cannot completely rule out droplets that have not been fully vaporized, and the temperature is not held for very long. For most folks hot tap water is fine, but for someone with a predisposing condition, such as the OP, a bit more precaution might at least provide some peace of mind. Hydrogen Peroxide and chlorine (bleach, diluted with water) are both very effective disinfectants, and using them in series as roosterado describes should kill any bacteria. Be careful with the bleach though if it will be used, since inhaling even a small of that would be bad. Perhaps roosterado would share the dilution % for the chlorine?

Personally, I think a dunk and swish in hydrogen peroxide followed by a distilled water (DW) rinse and air drying would be more than enough. Note that either hydrogen peroxide or chlorine might be rough on some equipment, such as the markings and plungers on syringes, so the DW rinse right away would minimize potential damage.

But for the OP's predisposition, vaping might not be a good idea anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.