Need to confirm some facts . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
San Francisco
I need to *authoritatively* confirm or establish the current legislative situation for some written and telephone communication that I am conducting today and tomorrow:

1. The tobacco bill is in consideration in the Senate now.
2. The Waxman version of the bill has passed the House.
3. The Senate is considering the Kennedy version of the bill.
4. What has happened to the Waxman version in the Senate?
5. Both the Waxman and Kennedy versions of the bill prohibit any new "lower risk" smoking alternatives? (Or is it just the Waxman version that does this?)
6. We can attach amendments in the Senate that would allow the development and marketing of lower-risk alternatives to tobacco cigarettes.
7. What else am I missing about the upcoming Senate consideration?

With thanks,
Wally

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Wally - I hope I am not too late...

Here is my understanding on your points:

1. Yes. This is true. The Senate HELP Committee is going to be reviewing the Kennedy Bill S.982 (now available for review) Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

4. It sits there until the Kennedy bill fails or passes committee.

5. I am just starting to get into the wording of the Kennedy bill so I cannot tell you for sure. Bill Godshall has read it though and if you email him he is a wealth of information. However, the Waxman bill does have this date of Feb 2007 which means, anything that was introduced to the market since that date would need to be pulled and go through the new FDA regulations that would be determined by the FDA once the Waxman bill is signed.

6. Yes. We certainly can request for amendments.

7. The HELP Committee was supposed to start review last week however, (this is my understanding) the Dems did not have enough support to get the bill through without issues so they are waiting until the do. This could mean further delay than just this upcoming Tuesday.

Wally

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
San Francisco
Lacey,

Thanks. I pieced this together from various sources and got Joel Nitzken on the phone and he was very helpful. So, I just made it under the wire. I'm spending part of the weekend with family and family friends and one is an important Senator who seems to influence people. I wanted to be informed as she's likely to listen and I think I've got it down. AAPHP has an eight page recommendation on amendments and I've memorized that, as well as conveniently brought along a copy for discussion points. I intend to do a lot of vaping over the weekend, just for the lady's benefit.

Wally

breakfastchef

Moved On
Feb 12, 2009
I'm spending part of the weekend with family and family friends and one is an important Senator who seems to influence people. I wanted to be informed as she's likely to listen and I think I've got it down. AAPHP has an eight page recommendation on amendments and I've memorized that, as well as conveniently brought along a copy for discussion points. I intend to do a lot of vaping over the weekend, just for the lady's benefit.

Go Wally, go!. Photos and a follow up will be mandatory.

Wally

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
San Francisco
Thanks folks. I telephoned her office this morning and actually got her on the phone. We talked a bit on the subject and she says she's very interested in what I have to say and is "all ears." The family is with her until Sunday morning, so I'll make the pitch and do a lot of vaping. Without the forum I wouldn't begin to have had the means to make a useful, coherent presentation. So, we'll see. Politicians have a way of making you feel they're fascinated with what you're saying even when they could care less, but I'm not going to do any damage either. I'm on my way to the airport in about half an hour. Keep your e-cigs crossed.

Wally

Wally

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
San Francisco
Well I'm back from the weekend getaway and it's difficult to say much about what happened. The Senator listened carefully, appeared interested, asked the right questions, etc. We had two discussions. I initiated the first on Saturday afternoon and she actually initiating the second, after seeing me vaping after dinner Saturday night. She was clearly informed about the issues. But as one might expect, she made no commitment on anything. I spoke mostly from the AAPHP points and the idea of amendments to the Kennedy bill. I suggested an amendment to modify the effective date of the bill as an absolute minimum intervention. The best way I can describe it is it was like playing poker with a very good player--very little revealed, but very amicable.

Wally

Krakkan

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
New Orleans, LA
www.truesmoker.com
Well I'm back from the weekend getaway and it's difficult to say much about what happened. The Senator listened carefully, appeared interested, asked the right questions, etc. We had two discussions. I initiated the first on Saturday afternoon and she actually initiating the second, after seeing me vaping after dinner Saturday night. She was clearly informed about the issues. But as one might expect, she made no commitment on anything. I spoke mostly from the AAPHP points and the idea of amendments to the Kennedy bill. I suggested an amendment to modify the effective date of the bill as an absolute minimum intervention. The best way I can describe it is it was like playing poker with a very good player--very little revealed, but very amicable.

Wally

Exactly what was needed hope the seed grows.. :)

Wally

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
San Francisco
A little followup. I just spoke on the phone with my sister, who is really the Senator's close friend. She told me that she and the Senator talked on the phone this morning and that the Senator said (I'm quoting my sister), "Even more than his grasp and presentation of the issues, I was impressed by his personal story with the device." So my sister, who loves the vaping idea, leaned into her a bit about the potential tragedy in losing the possibility of the e-cig, etc. Way to go sis! :thumb: I imagine this did more good than anything I might have said. My sister, of course, didn't mention to her that I have every intention of illegally smuggling them in from China if they are made illegal. 8-o

OutWest

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Oklahoma USA
www.alternasmokes.com
A little followup. I just spoke on the phone with my sister, who is really the Senator's close friend. She told me that she and the Senator talked on the phone this morning and that the Senator said (I'm quoting my sister), "Even more than his grasp and presentation of the issues, I was impressed by his personal story with the device." So my sister, who loves the vaping idea, leaned into her a bit about the potential tragedy in losing the possibility of the e-cig, etc. Way to go sis! I imagine this did more good than anything I might have said. My sister, of course, didn't mention to her that I have every intention of illegally smuggling them in from China if they are made illegal.
If said senator would be willing to use the senatorial hold priviledge, it would kill the bill. A hold is intended to delay a bill from coming to the Senate floor so that the senator can take the time to inquire with his/her constituents as to how they feel about the issue. However, by placing a hold and not removing it, it can be used to prevent a bill from ever coming to the Senate floor for a vote.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
If said senator would be willing to use the senatorial hold priviledge, it would kill the bill. A hold is intended to delay a bill from coming to the Senate floor so that the senator can take the time to inquire with his/her constituents as to how they feel about the issue. However, by placing a hold and not removing it, it can be used to prevent a bill from ever coming to the Senate floor for a vote.

You should post that idea in the Campaigning section and ask people to write to their Senators asking for such. Very interesting idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread