New batteries, mod, or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Just when I thought I had my vaping house in order, another "now what" comes up.

For dual 18650 200 watt or more mods using LG HG2 batteries, I have:

IPV 400
Sig and Fuchai 213's (yes, I know they perform lower)
Smok Alien
Smok G-Priv 220

I also have a Lavabox DNA200

So what's the problem or confusion?

Now I am reading a lot of posts that it is unsafe to go above 120 watts on them. Even read that I shouldn't go over 100 watts on the Alien. Most of my vaping is done between 28 watts and 78 watts, so not a problem. But.....

I have a TFV8 and a few RTA's and drippers I need to or would like to push or exceed those limits, leading to my quandary.....better batteries or a 3 18650 battery regulated mod?

For batteries, I was looking at the LG HB2, HB4, and HB6 (all 30A 1500mah, no idea why labeled differently?) as well as the Sony VCT5A (25A 2500mah). If my understanding is correct, dual 30A batteries would increase my limit to around 180 watts and dual 25A batteries would increase it to around 150 watts. If so, I think I would sacrifice run time for the added wattage, but want to confirm my understanding. Or.......

Since most, if not all of my high wattage vaping would be done at home, might I be better served looking into a triple 18650 mod using a set (or two) of the above mentioned high amp batteries and close the door if you will on "limited" wattage? Then again, I may just want to break out the wheelbarrow and take it out once in a while.

Looking for and interested in your input. Thanks!

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Everyone has to set their own saftey limits.

Mine might seem conservative to others;
50w per 20a cdr cell.
78w per 30a cdr cell.

As batteries age they lose capacity, the harder they're pushed the faster they degrade.
Power device inefficiency plays a part in amp calculations, some folks know what theirs is others use 6 - 10 %.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
If I were looking to start going around 120W, I'd go with a 3 battery mod. First, it's a reasonable load for 3 batteries, and two, you'll have decent battery life. Going with 2 30A batteries mean you're stuck with 1500 mAh max, so if you do vape through the day at higher wattage, be prepared to keep swapping out batteries for fresh ones. Is it safe to vape at 120W on an Alien? Yes, even with 20A batteries. Can it really do 220W with 2 batteries for more than a second? No.

Edit: Just noticed, you have a Lavabox 200. That's fine for high wattage use as well.

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
If I were looking to start going around 120W, I'd go with a 3 battery mod. First, it's a reasonable load for 3 batteries, and two, you'll have decent battery life. Going with 2 30A batteries mean you're stuck with 1500 mAh max, so if you do vape through the day at higher wattage, be prepared to keep swapping out batteries for fresh ones.

That is why I was also looking at some 25A/2000-2500mah batteries. But since I rarely stay with something 120+ watts for more then a couple hours, not sure if the difference in run time would be worth lowering the total watts. Carrying a couple extra batteries would not be a big problem. And 4 batteries are far cheaper then a mod and six batteries, but a 3 battery mod would sure fit my 30mm Mason dripper better. :D A number of battery choices surely to be narrowed down by availability, or lack thereof.

Is it safe to vape at 120W on an Alien? Yes, even with 20A batteries. Can it really do 220W with 2 batteries for more than a second? No.

I would have to hunt for the post I read, but will more then likely on use that Alien with the Baby Beast and Big Baby, both under 70 watts so far. Would most likely run the high wattage stuff on the G-Priv if I go that route.

Edit: Just noticed, you have a Lavabox 200. That's fine for high wattage use as well.

Haven't tried the Lavabox with anything near that high yet, but run time in power mode at under 80 watts is limited. 120 watts and up? And I can't carry extra batteries for that. But just to see, will run my TFV8 on that and see.

Thanks!

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I would have to hunt for the post I read, but will more then likely on use that Alien with the Baby Beast and Big Baby, both under 70 watts so far. Would most likely run the high wattage stuff on the G-Priv if I go that route.
Haven't tried the Lavabox with anything near that high yet, but run time in power mode at under 80 watts is limited. 120 watts and up? And I can't carry extra batteries for that. But just to see, will run my TFV8 on that and see.

Thanks!

You can play them either way. The Alien and G-Priv are essentially the same except for the touch screen (and overall design, but both are still 2 battery "220W" mods). True on the Lavabox, you will run trough the Lipo in no time, and you won't get a full day out of it at those wattage's, but it can safely handle the current load.

I think with the Alien and G-Priv you're good to go. If battery life is your main concern, the 30Q is hard to beat. The 20A rating will still take you to 120W if you want, and it's 3,000 mAh will give you a long run time. A 25A 2,500 mAh may very well be a perfect compromise between capacity and power. I rely on 25Rs' right now for just about everything, and the 2,500 mAh rating holds me just fine. I really don't hang out over 100W though.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
True on the Lavabox, you will run trough the Lipo in no time, and you won't get a full day out of it at those wattage's, but it can safely handle the current load.

Got the Lavabox fully charged and took the TFV8 for a test run on it. It has a kanthal limit of 100 watts on it, but upped that to 130 watts. Vaping it at 120-124 watts for 4 hours straight and still shows 64% on the batteries, so that should work fine. May want to get the bigger battery for it though. Thanks for "pushing" me to look into using it! Not sure what it is about the Lavabox or DNA200, but again it seems to hit well at a lower wattage then my other mods.

I got the g priv today an i pushed it to 130 with no Problems, i have found my Sweet Spot at 90 :)

Is that sweet spot with the full TFV8? With the Big Baby mine came with, I've been running in the 60's with excellent results. Hope you like your G-Priv as much as I like mine.

And just FYI, it is not that the mod has "problems" above 120 watts, it's that advice from the battery experts strongly suggest not pushing any dual 18650 20A batteries above 120. I had mine up to 138 watts briefly and worked nicely. But was checking other options in the interest of safety.

HemiHonda

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Arizona
Everyone has to set their own saftey limits.

Mine might seem conservative to others;
50w per 20a cdr cell.
78w per 30a cdr cell.

As batteries age they lose capacity, the harder they're pushed the faster they degrade.
Power device inefficiency plays a part in amp calculations, some folks know what theirs is others use 6 - 10 %.
This is where I'm at myself after asking questions on this site and some further research. I'd rather play it safe.

Reactions: OlderNDirt

HemiHonda

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Arizona
You can play them either way. The Alien and G-Priv are essentially the same except for the touch screen (and overall design, but both are still 2 battery "220W" mods). True on the Lavabox, you will run trough the Lipo in no time, and you won't get a full day out of it at those wattage's, but it can safely handle the current load.

I think with the Alien and G-Priv you're good to go. If battery life is your main concern, the 30Q is hard to beat. The 20A rating will still take you to 120W if you want, and it's 3,000 mAh will give you a long run time. A 25A 2,500 mAh may very well be a perfect compromise between capacity and power. I rely on 25Rs' right now for just about everything, and the 2,500 mAh rating holds me just fine. I really don't hang out over 100W though.
Is IMR a good site to purchase the 25A? I would actually like to go with those myself. I usually purchase all batteries from Myvapestore or Vapordna. Thanks

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Is IMR a good site to purchase the 25A? I would actually like to go with those myself. I usually purchase all batteries from Myvapestore or Vapordna. Thanks

I've only purchased my batteries from RTD vape and have felt comfortable with them

ummm a 12V car battery and jumper cables??? ;)

Or just tap in directly through the lighter???? :shock:

I use vtc4's in my mechs, mooch rated the amp to be 23amps so I'm happy building to that spec

In all my other mods which are mainly 200w mods I use Samsung 30q and LG HG2, I generally vape between 65 and 135w

I don't worry too much about overload the cells

I've used the HG2's exclusively with my 200w mods and, yes, "cheated" over 120w on occasion. Whether it helps or not, I only do that with fully charged batteries.

At the cost of a couple Sony VTC5A 25A 2500mah batteries, I think I am gonna get a pair for my G-Priv. Between that and the Lavabox, I think I will be good to go for my occasional high power vaping.

Falco78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2014
United States
But my doctor said not to lift anything heavy! :eek: :D

But seriously, I do have reasons to place an importance on size and comfortable fit.
That I do understand but the RX200 is quite comfortable and it's my daily use mod

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread