Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdad

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2014
Marquette, MI
www.eyeflies.com
Hi @yooperdad,
I don't know how closely you follow this thread so I don't know if you are aware that @HotRod19579 is recovering from surgery that temporarily makes typing next to impossible. I am trying to let everyone know so they don't think HR isn't responding to their questions and reports like he is normally so good about doing. I presume he will respond as he is able. I am guessing that this lay-up has created a professional backlog as well as here on this thread; so I am sure he appreciates everyone's patience. :)

Thanks for the info. Hope it goes well for him.

I don't follow that closely. This app has been my "go to" for almost 3 years now and it does everything I want it to do, and a lot more.

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: IDJoel
I live in the U.S. so I must confess I was/am totally ignorant of what a "doubler" is and how it is used; so I did a quick google search to see if I could learn something. I found this site which seems to give a pretty good description (please correct me if this is not what you are talking about).

With that as my understanding; I am not sure what you want to do. Are you trying to: 1.) make your own doublers (a finished product without nicotine)? Or: 2.) are you trying to figure out how to use a commercially purchased doubler as an "ingredient" in the Juice Calculator (adding nicotine concentrate to the doubler to dilute it to its intended flavor strength and raise the nicotine to the desired level)?

If 1.); then:
You are basically creating a recipe with 0 (zero) nicotine and the flavors at twice their intended strength. So to do this you would set your "Target Nicotine" level to 0.00 and double all flavor concentrate percentages. For a "tripler;" triple all flavor concentrates. PG/VG (specificly higher VG) ratio will be limited by the increased percentage of flavor concentrates and what carrier(s) are used in each flavor concentrate (typically PG).

If 2.); then:
You would want to enter your "doubler" as an ingredient. Here is a sample of what it might look like:
View attachment 639483

The important parts to include (highlighted) are:
-Name
-Ingredient Type
-PG/VG Percentages
-Default Percentage (Optional: this just simply sets the default value with which it is introduced to the recipe. You can still change this value within the recipe.)
-Cost (not highlighted)(Optional: only required if you wish to know cost of finished recipe.)

Then; create the recipe (dilute the doubler down to vapable strength and add the nicotine). It will look something like this:
View attachment 639495

Note the critical info:
1. Desired nicotine level
2. Desired size of finished recipe
3. Nicotine base you are using (I followed recommendation of using double the desired nocotine strength for this example)
4. PG and VG lines set the desired finished PG/VG ratio
5. Your doubler used as an ingredient (what we created in the previous example). Use 50% for a doubler and 33.33% for a tripler.

Now notice what happens if we change our nicotine base:
View attachment 639499

By changing from a 48mg/mL 50% PG/50% VG nic base, to a 100mg/mL 0% PG/100% VG nic base, notice how the amounts change for nic, PG, and VG.

If that is more than you want to do; I did also come across this "doubler calculator" during my same google search: E-LIQUID DOUBLER CALCULATOR
http://doublercalculator.com/
I hope something here answers your question. If I missed it; please feel free to sing out. :D
Wow what an explination ! Thanks for that. I was really looking at option 1 mixing doublers. I have been using this cal for at least 2 years but on a very basic level and love it. Think i just need to dig into it a little more

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

jblack741

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
Detroit
Ok I have issues!

1. I imported a 0-nic recipe as a test and proceeded to "Modify" it to include 24mg nic.
2. Prior to the import, I created a NIC ingredient and set all the appropriate values.
3. I imported the recipe from ejuicemeup which created the ingredients correctly and showed 0 NIC.
4. I selected "Modify" recipe from "Tools" which brought the screen shown below:
upload_2017-3-9_6-56-13.png

5. As show the amount of the mix is 10ml and in the Target Amounts section I selected 6mg and according the the help file, the Target amount is "Amount of Mix". Since this is 10ml, I tried entering that and the program will not allow it to be adjusted below the 13.92 as shown.
6. I tried adjusting the desired PG/VG % in the same section to PG 40% /VG 60% and the log box filled up with error messages.
7. When I added the NIC to the mix from the main screen (shown below), I was able to adjust targets and values were +- .01 compared to those that I got from ejuicemeup using the same recipe/values.
upload_2017-3-9_8-0-20.png

In summary, I think this calc for now is fine when making any adjustment from the main screen and or creating a new recipe, but using the "Modify Existing Recipe" from the tools menu should be avoided.

I'll post further findings as I continue to play with this.

krykiett

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
Michigan, U.S
Hey guys, just have a quick question.

First off, I am using the portable version, not sure if that makes too much difference. But beyond that I want to use two different files, one for my created concentrates and one for juice recipes. Can I do this and have them both remove or add product to stock? Or is it set for each file to reference it's own stock?

Thanks a lot.

Maestro

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
Ok I have issues!

1. I imported a 0-nic recipe as a test and proceeded to "Modify" it to include 24mg nic.
2. Prior to the import, I created a NIC ingredient and set all the appropriate values.
3. I imported the recipe from ejuicemeup which created the ingredients correctly and showed 0 NIC.
4. I selected "Modify" recipe from "Tools" which brought the screen shown below:
View attachment 640007

5. As show the amount of the mix is 10ml and in the Target Amounts section I selected 6mg and according the the help file, the Target amount is "Amount of Mix". Since this is 10ml, I tried entering that and the program will not allow it to be adjusted below the 13.92 as shown.
6. I tried adjusting the desired PG/VG % in the same section to PG 40% /VG 60% and the log box filled up with error messages.
7. When I added the NIC to the mix from the main screen (shown below), I was able to adjust targets and values were +- .01 compared to those that I got from ejuicemeup using the same recipe/values.
View attachment 640017

In summary, I think this calc for now is fine when making any adjustment from the main screen and or creating a new recipe, but using the "Modify Existing Recipe" from the tools menu should be avoided.

I'll post further findings as I continue to play with this.
You're showing a negative PG. Check the PG/VG levels of your nic and your original. You may not be able to go that low on PG.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Ok I have issues!
Hi @jblack741,

You don't have issues; just a misunderstanding. ;)

The "Tools->Modify existing recipe" option (Header label is Modify Recipe) is meant for modifying an already mixed batch (like you had a 10mL bottle of Truckstop sitting in front of you). Then you decide you didn't like something about it and wanted to tweak it. That is why you are running into limitations like "unable to add enough...". That is also why you are running into those volume minimums (mentioned in #5) too. The only way to change that hypothetical bottle sitting in front of you is to add ingredients... and that of course adds volume.

To change/alter a recipe before you physically make it; simply do it from the main recipe screen (like you described in line #7).

HotRod has a good description of how to use the "Modify Recipe" in his help file:
upload_2017-3-9_20-54-29.png

upload_2017-3-9_20-59-3.png

You might wish to reread this (I believe you mentioned you read this in #5) as there is a LOT more info that doesn't appear in my screenshot and may help your understanding of this tool's function.

I can see where the title/header of "Modify Recipe" could lead you to think this was for "pre-mixing" use (perhaps the Help title of "Modify existing mix" would have been more appropriate) but honestly there is no easier way to modify the actual recipe (the "formula") than simply changing the parameters of the main recipe.

I hope that helps.:D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID

First off, I am using the portable version, not sure if that makes too much difference. But beyond that I want to use two different files, one for my created concentrates and one for juice recipes. Can I do this and have them both remove or add product to stock? Or is it set for each file to reference it's own stock?

Thanks a lot.
(quote emphasis added by IDJoel)
Hi @krykiett,
I am afraid I have neither used the portable version nor have I played with multiple juice files. I only use the default. So, I am afraid I personally don't have a clue! I did a quick look-see of the help files but couldn't find anything that spoke directly to your question.

I do know that several others have mentioned they use multiple files. Perhaps someone who has experience using multiple file can share their experience of how they manage their ingredient inventory between multiple files.

That said, if all you are trying to do is cluster all your created concentrates together, making them easier to locate; is to start each concentrate's "name" with the same word or symbol. You could do something like "Concentrate-Name 1," "Concentrate-Name 2," etc. Or, "#Name 1," "#Name 2," etc. This would keep them all lumped together in any of the windows that display multiple ingredients at the same time. Note: If you use symbols or numerals they will appear before any names starting with a letter.

Reactions: krykiett

jblack741

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
Detroit
Hi @jblack741,

You don't have issues; just a misunderstanding. ;)

I can see where the title/header of "Modify Recipe" could lead you to think this was for "pre-mixing" use (perhaps the Help title of "Modify existing mix" would have been more appropriate) but honestly there is no easier way to modify the actual recipe (the "formula") than simply changing the parameters of the main recipe.

I hope that helps.:D

Thank you for the clarification @IDJoel.
The help page that I read was under "Getting Started/Modify Recipe" which does not have the same explanation that's given under "Modify existing mix" :thumb:

jblack741

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
Detroit
You're showing a negative PG. Check the PG/VG levels of your nic and your original. You may not be able to go that low on PG.

Thanks @Maestro,
The negative numbers were a result of me trying to adjust the nic vol of an existing mix. But either way my non-issue was resolved... I must read more! :headbang:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thank you for the clarification @IDJoel.
Glad I could help (that did solve your issue; didn't it?). I have received plenty of help from the ECF community and am just trying to pass it on. :D
The help page that I read was under "Getting Started/Modify Recipe" which does not have the same explanation that's given under "Modify existing mix" :thumb:
And I didn't see the "Getting Started->Modify Recipe" entry:facepalm:. See? I'm still learnin' too!:D

I think the operative phrase in that section, that is easy to overlook, is "already-mixed recipe":
upload_2017-3-10_14-52-41.png

:toast:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I'm mostly just being OCD, lol Thanks again!
I don't think you are being OCD. Then again I'm OCD; so what do I know. ;):D

Honestly, I know others use multiple files, so what you are wanting to do should(?) be doable. I just don't have any idea how/if the ingredients can be linked between them. That is why I am hoping someone smarter than me would chime in.

I am glad that it is not a pressing matter for you. That may be one that will have to wait for HotRod's return if no one else can offer any suggestions.

Reactions: krykiett

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID

Thanks a lot.
OK, I told you I was OCD, and now I'll prove it:confused:. I was sure I had read something about this so I went digging. After filtering through 4 pages of search "hits," limited to this thread, I think I found and answer.

The short answer "No" you can't link inventory between multiple juice files. HotRod mentions it here:
New Calculator to try
Note specifically the last paragraph and the last sentence in the last paragraph:
"All ingredients, recipes and inventory amounts are stored in a single "juice" file. That is the reason I asked if you were doing a "File->Open" for each recipe. If you have different "Juice" files the inventory amounts in each juice file will be different. Inventory amounts are not shared across files, the amount only apply to the file that you have opened." (emphasis mine)

@Ed Sause: You have mentioned that you use multiple juice files. Is my above statement correct (from your experience)? How do you manage correct inventory levels between the different juice files? Can you share any tips or tricks? Any input would be appreciated! :D

(Same questions to anyone else who is using multiple juice files too.:))

Reactions: ShowerHead

Ed Sause

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2016

If you are trying to do something like this;
1. Concentrate file:
a. create multiple flavor concentrates.
b. transfer those concentrates to juice file.
c. reduce inventory for individual flavor concentrates.
d. track amounts of flavor concentrates.
e. *track amounts of VG, PG, and Nic.

2. Juice file:
a. use only mixed flavor concentrates, VG, PG, and Nic to develope finished juice.
b. track amounts of mixed concentrates.
c. track amounts of VG, PG, and Nic.

Is that correct? If so then it should all work out.

Depending on where you want to add VG, PG, and Nic. They can be in the Concentrate or the Juice side, but not both.

The Concentrate side would have all of the individual flavor concentrates and the Juice side would have all of you mixed flavor bases.

The two files would not cross on their inventory but would serve the same function.

krykiett

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
Michigan, U.S

You guys are awesome. This will work perfectly and I am currently whittling down different files to construct this idea. Thank you very much for all of your guy's hard work.

I do have another question, I can't seem to figure it out on my own.

When I made my base recipes, then created the concentrates and final recipe, I deleted the base recipes (I don't claim to be the smartest person here, lol). Now I want to repopulate the base recipes from the concentrate recipes, so I can make changes. Is this possible?

Again, thank you guys for all of your help.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thank you very much for all of your guy's hard work.
I am tickled whenever I can help someone else! HotRod, and so many others that make up the ECF community, have given me so much; that when I can pass on a little of that assistance I am only too pleased to do so. I am always happy to help! :D
When I made my base recipes, then created the concentrates and final recipe, I deleted the base recipes (I don't claim to be the smartest person here, lol). Now I want to repopulate the base recipes from the concentrate recipes, so I can make changes. Is this possible?
Unfortunately, other than manually reverse engineering it, I am not aware of any "easy" solutions. If you can recall aproxamittly when you deleted the original recipes for the concentrates, and you have/had the auto backup feature turned on, You might be able to recover them that way. I left all directories and destinations per the default settings and my backups are located in Documents->Juice Calculator:
upload_2017-3-14_17-42-53.png

Of course your dates will be different but you should get the idea. If you have changed destinations to something else I am afraid you are on your own. :(

If you do have to reverse engineer it, it shouldn't be too difficult, if you know at least what ingredients were used. The flavor base is made by removing the additional PG, VG, and nicotine (if any) components, and then re-figure the percentages (of the flavors only) to equal 100%. If you use a "standard" PG/VG ratio and nic base I think it should be doable.

If that is still no help, you are welcome to post what you do have currently (either here in this thread, or PM me, if it is something you prefer to not post publicly), and we will see what we can do to help. :)

Reactions: Burnie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread