Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Flavourart-juicy strawberry
The flavor apprentice-ripe strawberry
Jungle flavors-sweet strawberry
These are very tasty strawberry flavorings that would work well for that part of it. You could try mixing them together in different percentages to get the exact strawberry you like.
Capella Vanilla custard V1 is the only custard I have used but it’s very tasty. It’s probably one of the most popular as well but there is a V2 that is different because it removed a controversial ingredient that V1 has. I don’t remember what that ingredient was and some have reported it’s not as good as the original so there’s that. I’ve never mixed strawberry and custard together for a strawberry brûlée but I’m sure it would work well with these flavors. Good luck, happy mixing, and please report back if you come up with a tasty concoction.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Ok, I tried to find the right section to post diy but this is as far as I got.
You are not alone; it seems like lots of folks miss this;):
upload_2019-1-27_14-49-41.png

does anyone have any good DIY recipes for strawberry brulee??
I find this recipe (3-2-1 Creme Brulee; created by Tootall on AllTheFlavors) to be a good basic Creme Brulee recipe:
upload_2019-1-27_15-0-12.png

Using the Inawera Custard, and Creme Brulee combination, keeps this recipe lighter. More like a classic Brulee (more flan-like); as opposed to a heavier/thicker/more dense, custard. If you want "heavier;" you can sub a different custard (CAP, or TFA) for the INW Custard. But, leave the INW Creme Brulee, as it is essential for the "burnt sugar" top found on all(?) creme brulees.

Then, for the strawberry note, sub your choice of strawberry/strawberries (actually; I could see just about any fruit working with this) for the vanilla... though I could see it being good, leaving the vanilla in, as well. Leaving the vanilla in will help to pull the brulee forward. Removing it will help the fruit to take center stage.

As always; this is all my opinion, based on my own taste buds. Others may have different opinions. :D
:D

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I've tried a good number of recipes and ALL got changed because my tastebuds said, "no".

In this case, I would make 4-7 slight variations of the recipe for 3ml. Custard takes a good while to "meld", so shake often and store them for 3-4 weeks. Write a lot of notes.

Another reason to increase the number of samples is to consider different brands of a flavor.

I pre-mix my pg/vg/nic by the gallon, always having one gallon in use and one in "steeping" mode...and tons of little 5ml bottles. Having only 3ml in a 5ml bottle permits easier shaking to mix.

Hope helps

Kelly1988

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2019
Buffalo
Flavourart-juicy strawberry
The flavor apprentice-ripe strawberry
Jungle flavors-sweet strawberry
These are very tasty strawberry flavorings that would work well for that part of it. You could try mixing them together in different percentages to get the exact strawberry you like.
Capella Vanilla custard V1 is the only custard I have used but it’s very tasty. It’s probably one of the most popular as well but there is a V2 that is different because it removed a controversial ingredient that V1 has. I don’t remember what that ingredient was and some have reported it’s not as good as the original so there’s that. I’ve never mixed strawberry and custard together for a strawberry brûlée but I’m sure it would work well with these flavors. Good luck, happy mixing, and please report back if you come up with a tasty concoction.
Yup I ordered custards, creams, vanillas, strawberries, creme brulee, marshmallows, and a bunch more.. I bought syringes, needles, bottles, beakers.. ugh I feel like a scientist lol.

But I'm letting go on the idea of trying to clone my two favorite juices ( from big manufacturers) because I figured their ingredients are most likely foreign and there's NO recipes online for them. So my goal is to make a strawberry brulee and a nice vanilla of some sort and I'm using recipes from all different online recipe forums. I'm nervous that I'll think this is too easy and then when it's all in front of me I'll be lost.

With about 20 different flavors suggested from Wayne on the diy or die site I'm sure I'll make something! I'm excited to make something the way I exactly want it tho instead of settling for an ok juice..

And with the suspected flavor ban and discontinuation of my two all day Vapes I honestly think it's time to take it into my own hands so I don't have to worry about all of that.

I need a high nicotine at about 24mg and I have all the calculations but I was wondering even with the calculations and correct measurements, can a higher nic ruin a flavor regardless?

Thanks for your time and advice!

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
But I'm letting go on the idea of trying to clone my two favorite juices ( from big manufacturers) because I figured their ingredients are most likely foreign and there's NO recipes online for them.
Cloning can be done. But, it is often a long, and tedious process. To truly clone, one needs to use the same ingredients. As you say, they can be of foreign origin, domestic (it is not as uncommon as you might think), or made from proprietary concentrates they have custom made (in which case cloning is near impossible).

Often, the goal is made much easier, if you aim for something "as good as," instead of "the same as." This still provides a definable target to focus efforts; while providing more tolerance for variation. Be kind to yourself and set reasonable expectations. Sometimes, you can even find something better. :)
I'm using recipes from all different online recipe forums.
As you look at other's recipes; try to choose recipes that have lots of reviews and ratings. Many places (especially ELR) has lots of trial, temporary, experimental recipes, that should not be seeing the light of day. Recipes, that offer lots/more feedback, are not guaranteed to be winners. But, can at least give a bit more of an actual idea, as to if they are on the right track.

As @Frenchfry1942 mentioned; it is not at all uncommon, to have to tweak even "good" recipes to suit one's own palate. And that's okay. That is the beauty of DIY: even though almost no one shares identical palates, each of us can make most recipes "better" for our own use. :thumb:

And, as a side note, I always record who the author of a recipe is. That way, if I like it, I can search for other recipes by the same author. This can help limit the number of disappointing recipes too. ;)
I'm nervous that I'll think this is too easy and then when it's all in front of me I'll be lost.
Since you have already found DIY or Die (Wayne Walker's) website, this might be a good article to read occasionally, when you are feeling overwhelmed:
Your Overthinking It - by Wayne Walker

I need a high nicotine at about 24mg and I have all the calculations but I was wondering even with the calculations and correct measurements, can a higher nic ruin a flavor regardless?
Nicotine, like any other diluent (PG, VG, water, etc.) can affect the way flavor is perceived. you may need a little more, or a little less, but you should still be able to tell whether you are on the right track. I have never heard anyone complain that nicotine (at any level) outright "ruined" a recipe.

Lots of things can affect how an e-liquid tastes. Hardware choices and setup, coil choices, wicking, and airflow can all have large impacts on how any given juice can taste. Try to minimize these changes while you are exploring new DIY recipes.

I have several different hardware setups, that can range from low sub-ohm DTL, to high ohm MTL. But, I have only one setup (the one I most commonly use) to test and develop my DIY recipes. It is not until I am satisfied with them, that any of my recipes see any of my other hardware. Otherwise, all the extra variables, make DIYing that much more difficult.:facepalm: :D

Take your time. Be patient with yourself. And, don't get discouraged. You can, and will succeed, if you stick with it! I have faith it you!! :D:thumbs::D

We all started out where you are currently. With the same confusion, apprehensions, and doubts. But, we figured it out... and so can you! And, we are always here to help. :D

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Since you have already found DIY or Die (Wayne Walker's) website, this might be a good article to read occasionally, when you are feeling overwhelmed:

What a delightful read! :thumb: Thanks for posting it. And yes, that's how I always approach my DIY. My first "DIY" attempt was mixing Deej's green tea eliquid with a few drops of his lychee eliquid and then diluting everything a bit with unflavored! :facepalm: :lol: Later on, I bought a green tea (and white tea) flavorings, a few simple fruit (lychee, peach, pear) and started playing with those. Then added a few creams and vanillas to my repertoire. I always test every new flavoring by itself, just to see how I like it, and if I do, I mix it with other flavors.

And I really like HIC, his approach to DIY, and many of his recipes. I've learned a lot from him.

Kelly1988

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2019
Buffalo
Cloning can be done. But, it is often a long, and tedious process. To truly clone, one needs to use the same ingredients. As you say, they can be of foreign origin, domestic (it is not as uncommon as you might think), or made from proprietary concentrates they have custom made (in which case cloning is near impossible).

Often, the goal is made much easier, if you aim for something "as good as," instead of "the same as." This still provides a definable target to focus efforts; while providing more tolerance for variation. Be kind to yourself and set reasonable expectations. Sometimes, you can even find something better. :)

As you look at other's recipes; try to choose recipes that have lots of reviews and ratings. Many places (especially ELR) has lots of trial, temporary, experimental recipes, that should not be seeing the light of day. Recipes, that offer lots/more feedback, are not guaranteed to be winners. But, can at least give a bit more of an actual idea, as to if they are on the right track.

As @Frenchfry1942 mentioned; it is not at all uncommon, to have to tweak even "good" recipes to suit one's own palate. And that's okay. That is the beauty of DIY: even though almost no one shares identical palates, each of us can make most recipes "better" for our own use. :thumb:

And, as a side note, I always record who the author of a recipe is. That way, if I like it, I can search for other recipes by the same author. This can help limit the number of disappointing recipes too. ;)

Nicotine, like any other diluent (PG, VG, water, etc.) can affect the way flavor is perceived. you may need a little more, or a little less, but you should still be able to tell whether you are on the right track. I have never heard anyone complain that nicotine (at any level) outright "ruined" a recipe.

Lots of things can affect how an e-liquid tastes. Hardware choices and setup, coil choices, wicking, and airflow can all have large impacts on how any given juice can taste. Try to minimize these changes while you are exploring new DIY recipes.

I have several different hardware setups, that can range from low sub-ohm DTL, to high ohm MTL. But, I have only one setup (the one I most commonly use) to test and develop my DIY recipes. It is not until I am satisfied with them, that any of my recipes see any of my other hardware. Otherwise, all the extra variables, make DIYing that much more difficult.:facepalm: :D

Take your time. Be patient with yourself. And, don't get discouraged. You can, and will succeed, if you stick with it! I have faith it you!! :D:thumbs::D

We all started out where you are currently. With the same confusion, apprehensions, and doubts. But, we figured it out... and so can you! And, we are always here to help. :D
Thanks as always for your help.. I like this late night crew lol. I'm so very comfortable taking your advice, and Katya as well. I've learned so much from you both!

Now that you mentioned it I'm worried how I'm gonna sample all my mixes. I think I mentioned this before but I use vapor4life smileomizers? They are perfect for MTL hits for me and last SO LONG .. only problem is they are about $8 each and they hold 4-6 mls.. I can't sample with those!! I'll run out of liquid and $ :censored: ! Now I have to figure this out. Another day another problem lol

Kelly1988

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2019
Buffalo
What a delightful read! :thumb: Thanks for posting it. And yes, that's how I always approach my DIY. My first "DIY" attempt was mixing Deej's green tea eliquid with a few drops of his lychee eliquid and then diluting everything a bit with unflavored! :facepalm: :lol: Later on, I bought a green tea (and white tea) flavorings, a few simple fruit (lychee, peach, pear) and started playing with those. Then added a few creams and vanillas to my repertoire. I always test every new flavoring by itself, just to see how I like it, and if I do, I mix it with other flavors.

And I really like HIC, his approach to DIY, and many of his recipes. I've learned a lot from him.
Yah Wayne's articles and videos are so informative. Imo he really knows what he's doing. . Especially in the subject if teaching people how to do diy in a simple and cost effective way. I like how he gives an in depth description of every flavor under the sun. I wish I had him on speed dial lol but who needs that when I have you and Joel at 4am! :pop:;)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I like how he gives an in depth description of every flavor under the sun.

If you like flavor descriptions, this thread is a must read. It's mostly FA flavorings, which HIC prefers, but it's such an entertaining read. A few pages a day. ;) There's a lot of chit-chat, so you may skip that. Just concentrate on HeadInClouds' posts. I followed his thread even though I only used commercial eliquids back then. It was HIC that gave me courage to start mixing my own.

Pure Vapes has 3ml FlavourArt flavorings

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks as always for your help.. I like this late night crew lol. I'm so very comfortable taking your advice, and Katya as well. I've learned so much from you both!
My pleasure! I asked a lot of the same questions, and had many good ECF folks help me too. I am just trying to pay a bit of the debt I owe back, by helping other new DIYers.

As for taking my advise.... please remember, that I am only one person, with one opinion. DIY, like much of vaping, has many ways that it can be done successfully. Part of the learning curve, is finding what works best for you. Other opinions are every bit as valid as mine. :)
Now that you mentioned it I'm worried how I'm gonna sample all my mixes. I think I mentioned this before but I use vapor4life smileomizers? They are perfect for MTL hits for me and last SO LONG .. only problem is they are about $8 each and they hold 4-6 mls.. I can't sample with those!! I'll run out of liquid and $ :censored: ! Now I have to figure this out. Another day another problem lol
I am SOOOO glad @Katya has viable options for you as I had none. I had to look up the smileomizer to see what it was.:facepalm:

Yep; that looks spendy, and not ideal for testing new flavors. I imagine you could reuse a cartridge for same/similar mixes. I am pretty confident you don't need to fill them to the brim. But, I have no idea how little e-liquid you can put in them, and still get an informative vape. :confused:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Yep; that looks spendy, and not ideal for testing new flavors. I imagine you could reuse a cartridge for same/similar mixes. I am pretty confident you don't need to fill them to the brim. But, I have no idea how little e-liquid you can put in them, and still get an informative vape. :confused:

Correct! You can use very little eliquid in most clearomizers for tasting purposes--even as little as 1-2mls at a time. However, I believe that what Kelly has is a giant cartomizer. If so, those need to be filled all the way to keep the filler from burning.

@Kelly1988 Joel is right, if you don't want to bother with dripping atomizers (there's a learning curve with those, actually, also), you can use what you have, or you can get a few inexpensive old-school small clearomizers (no polyfill) like Kanger T series or something similar. I haven't used them in years so I don't remember which one I preferred... They can easily be "cleaned" between flavors by vaping a bit of unflavored through them, or by simply rinsing the coils thoroughly under running water and blowing excess water out.

Kanger T3S Clearomizer Tank - Clearomizers & Tanks | VaporBeast

I now use mostly my older tanks to taste new eliquids--and it's probably the best way to go.

Tutorial: Atomizer vs. Cartomizer vs. Clearomizer | MistHub

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread