New eLeaf Tessera Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PansyRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2015
Hello,

I just got the new eleaf Tessera a week ago. This is my first mod with a built-in battery. When charging using the included USB cable, the screen displays "battery too hot" after only about twenty minutes of charging time. I have had it plugged into a USB power bank that plugs into the wall, and I am not using the mod while it is charging. It definitely gets hot to the touch, but not so much I cannot touch it. Still, the battery warning has me freaked out and I haven't recharged it to 100% since I unplugged it after seeing the warning and haven't tried again.

I emailed eleaf and they said to not worry but to not charge it on a bed, etc. where heat could accumulate around it.

Is this a safety concern, and how can I prevent this? Would it help to plug it into something like a phone adapter instead of a large USB port?

Thank you for reading!

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hmmm. That would be a huge concern for me also. I didn't find eLeaf's response very comforting.

To me, the warning, "Battery Too Hot" is very concerning and not acceptable as being normal. Heat is the enemy of all batteries.

Can your mod be returned?

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hello,

I just got the new Eleaf Tessera a week ago. This is my first mod with a built-in battery. When charging using the included USB cable, the screen displays "battery too hot" after only about twenty minutes of charging time. I have had it plugged into a USB power bank that plugs into the wall, and I am not using the mod while it is charging. It definitely gets hot to the touch, but not so much I cannot touch it. Still, the battery warning has me freaked out and I haven't recharged it to 100% since I unplugged it after seeing the warning and haven't tried again.

I emailed eLeaf and they said to not worry but to not charge it on a bed, etc. where heat could accumulate around it.

Is this a safety concern, and how can I prevent this? Would it help to plug it into something like a phone adapter instead of a large USB port?

Thank you for reading!

That Doesn't sound right.

I would Contact who you bought it from and tell them you want either a Refund or and Exchange.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Either your wall wart is supplying too much power, or something's wrong with your vape.

I am confused as to why a company would PUT such a warning on their mod, then tell you to ignore it. That makes absolutely zero sense.

I would insist on a warranty or a refund. In a lot of ways, internal battery mods can be as unsafe as external battery mods. That would not make me happy. Are you using the cable supplied with the mod? I think technically, that if you are using the correct cable, the mod should not be able to draw more power than the mod can handle, but if you are using a different cable and charger, it's possible the issue is with either of those sources (but also possibly, the mod).

Anna

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Either your wall wart is supplying too much power
Windmills do not work that way! ;)

A USB wall wart provides voltage; specifically 5V. The device connected to it determines how much current is being pulled. The wall wart might limit the current that the connected device can pull, but there's really no way it can "supply too much power".

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I am confused as to why a company would PUT such a warning on their mod, then tell you to ignore it. That makes absolutely zero sense.

This is the Big Red Flag to me also.

And it sounds like that eLeaf CSR was just kinda Blowing Off a very Legitimate Concern.

PansyRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2015
Thanks, all...and yes, I'm definitely using only the cable that came with it. An actual charger (the plug part) was not provided. I have called and emailed the vendor I purchased from but so far, no reply. It's been less than 24 hours since I contacted them, and I'm not particularly worried about that yet. They are reputable and I've purchased from them in the past. My hope would be to just get an exchange as I really do love the mod and I already invested in extra coils.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Being a built in battery only guy, plus all the devices around the house, I try to use premium cables and boxes. Anker or Belkin are such and can be had from amazon.

Things that I stay away from are retractable cords, crap chargers that come with most devices, and getting a charge from another battery like a laptop. Power banks and car chargers are iffy and only used for emergency and for as little time as possible.

Good luck with the mod! I might try that one for myself.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    This is one of the reasons that I am not a fan of internal battery mods.

Internal battery mods use one or more Lipo chemistry batteries. Because you can't actually see or feel the actual battery inside the mod, if the mod itself feels hot, then imagine how hot the battery is inside.

Lipo batteries are a more volatile chemistry to create fires or explosions. Although not entirely safe, the chemistry used in external batteries is considered a "safer chemistry" than Lipo's and less likely to flame or explode.

Below is video of an internal battery mod which exploded and flamed while charging (0.20 second mark).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I=E/R (current = voltage divided by resistance) controls the current level a device should draw from a USB wall wart. Apparently the device has the wrong value to control charging rate. 2A is a healthy (strong) charge rate, but apparently the venting in the case isn't sufficient to control heat buildup in the mod during charge.

I use a 3A multiport USB charger and even an 8A Kindle USB power cube to charge my mods. None develop more than barely detectable warmth to the touch.

mimöschen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 15, 2016
    This is one of the reasons that I am not a fan of internal battery mods.

Internal battery mods use one or more Lipo chemistry batteries. Because you can't actually see or feel the actual battery inside the mod, if the mod itself feels hot, then imagine how hot the battery is inside.

Lipo batteries are a more volatile chemistry to create fires or explosions. Although not entirely safe, the chemistry used in external batteries is considered a "safer chemistry" than Lipo's and less likely to flame or explode.

Below is video of an internal battery mod which exploded and flamed while charging (0.20 second mark).

I don't think that most mainstream mods use LiPos (anymore). Whenever a technical reviewer like DJLSB dismantles a mod, most of the time you see, that the mod is run by soldered cheap and/or unbranded 18xxx cells.
    But that's not encouraging to get an internal battery mod either.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Hi and welcome back!
    When charging eleaf/Joye internal batteries in the past, I found the position they are in affects how much heat builds up.
    The "stick" style batteries prefer to be horizontal.
    Eleaf posted this:
    TESSERA-with-ELLO-TS-16.png

Do you charge your device standing up or on it's side as pictured? Perhaps on it's face/display or 510 might allow better heat dissipation.

Cheers
    I

• Useful
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread