New guy, didnt quit smoking, started Vaping.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimmTech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
West Virginia
Hey guys, sorry for the long post, I dont have time to write a short one. So basically I am a food addict, with slight alcoholism. Im 6'2" and down to 387. The only time in my life I have been thin is when I have dipped snuff or smoked cigarettes. I started smoking when I was 14 on and off, and was on hard from 16 (cause my parents said I had to be that old to smoke) until probably 23. Gained much weight. Started back at around age 30 and smoked until 33, losing back to a healthy weight. This time we weight ballooned. I ended up with thyroid disease which packed on the pounds, all the way up to 407. I have been yoyo dieting from 360-400 for a while. Cant seem to make anything stick. While at a recent doctor appointment, and telling my doctor about weight issues and how I lost weight before, he recommended Smoky Mountain Snuff. Basically corn silk flavored to be like snuff. I had a couple of problems with this. First, the mouthfeel was wrong, and lacking any nicotene, it didnt curb my appetite. Secondly, the wife said she was not kissing me that ..... in my mouth. She said she would rather see me smoke e-cigarettes. Me too! So I went out and bought a couple of the disposable cigs. At first they were okay, but very soon I found them lasting roughly 4-5 hours. 3 a day. So costing from $8-$11 each I was spending too much money. Now I'm hooked on nicotine again so something has to be done. I bought a started kit from nJoy. Was a little cheaper, but still using 2 cartridges a day and keeping the battery charged was a pain. A friend turned me onto Apollo that he smokes. Now I have an eGo VV from Apollo using clearomizers. With the strongest ejuice they carried now 4-5 puffs and Im set. I use less than the 1.6ml tank will hold a day so my cost is now down to just over $1 a day. I always loved smoking. I hated quitting but the health risks involved always won. Im not completey sure all the health risks involved with vaping but Im sure is it better than smoking, lots less chemicals. All said and done, just a couple of short weeks I have lost 17 pounds. I knew this is the way it would go. I have started/quit too many times. I plan on vaping. It will be what I do. Im much better off vaping at a healthy weight than having Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, crohns, b12 defeciency, thyroid disease, low testosterone among other things. I have always exercised, I just eat way too much of the wrong things and drink. Also since vaping my alcohol consumption has drastically decreased. I was drinking a half gallon every 3-4 days now a fifth lasts 5-6. Just a drink or two before bed. I see this as a healthy step in the right direction. I know weight loss will not cure a couple of my problems (thyriod dissease) but it will help with many. Thanks to you guys that took the time to read my post.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Mother-in-law said she started smoking when the doctor told her it would help her lose weight. Now, of course I don't want you to start smoking:) I think vaping would be good to try and it seems to be working for you. I know you will get lots of great advice from people who have a mind for technical stuff.

Personally, I would try the Smokeless Image X-2 with an easy to fill and use Nano. They are coming out with a bigger tankey thingey shortly. I might suggest that you start out with a not too high of nicotine [6 or 12mg] maybe since you haven't been a smoker for awhile. Trying to get the job done without over doing the nic is my thought. Sounds like you have realistic expectations for your health goals, so that is a good thing.

Others will have other suggestions. I just happen to like my X2s and I have had great customer service. By the way, you are welcome to stop into the Smokeless Image chat thread. We love to talk:)

I am wishing you the best!!!!!

OR-DMBFAN

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Oregon
I always liked smoking too. I like vaping much more for many reasons. I used minis from a company called "Lotus" when I started and did a lot of research before I decided on what I wanted. I chose a ProVari because of the reliability factor and am glad I did. I haven't smoked in over 3 months now and feel much better. I wish you the best of luck on your quest for better health. This forum is just loaded with great information and very helpful people to guide you, there are SO many choices it can really be overwhelming!

GrimmTech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
West Virginia
I went with higher dose juice right off the bat for cost reasons. Same price for 6mg as 24mg. If I smoke less to get satisfaction it costs less. I know when I smoked ultralight cigs I smoked the crap out of them. Used the same thought process for this. I always smoked bold/full flavor when I used traditional smokes.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Sorry, Grimm, I need another cup of coffee. My suggestion was based on the line where you were vaping disposables and I somehow missed the part where you have moved up. Forgive me. Yeah, I think there are some very real benefits to nicotene. I loved smoking but it is just plain bad for you.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
I went with higher dose juice right off the bat for cost reasons. Same price for 6mg as 24mg. If I smoke less to get satisfaction it costs less. I know when I smoked ultralight cigs I smoked the crap out of them. Used the same thought process for this. I always smoked bold/full flavor when I used traditional smokes.

I see your line of reasoning.

synthsiggy

Moved On
Nov 29, 2012
I put on a load of extra weight and decided to lose it. So i just changed my diet to chicken and rice. Only had cheerios for breakfast and during the day if i got hungry. By the way cheerios are the most healthy cereals you can buy. 4 whole grains and all that. Very healthy. Only use skimmed milk too. 0.01 grammes of fat per 100ml. This is a fat free lifestyle. I can eat cheerios all day long. Even straight out the packet. In addition i walked 18 miles a day which took a staggering 6 hours. Over a period of three months i had walked over 1000 miles and lost a lot of weight. Now i just cycle for 2-3 hours a day but stick to the diet of 0% fat. Oh and in case your wondering i buy bags of frozen sliced chicken which has 0% fat. Don't you just love the vaping thing though.

GrimmTech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2012
West Virginia
I put on a load of extra weight and decided to lose it. So i just changed my diet to chicken and rice. Only had cheerios for breakfast and during the day if i got hungry. By the way cheerios are the most healthy cereals you can buy. 4 whole grains and all that. Very healthy. Only use skimmed milk too. 0.01 grammes of fat per 100ml. This is a fat free lifestyle. I can eat cheerios all day long. Even straight out the packet. In addition i walked 18 miles a day which took a staggering 6 hours. Over a period of three months i had walked over 1000 miles and lost a lot of weight. Now i just cycle for 2-3 hours a day but stick to the diet of 0% fat. Oh and in case your wondering i buy bags of frozen sliced chicken which has 0% fat. Don't you just love the vaping thing though.

Congrats on your weight loss sir and I commend your motivation to walk 18 miles a day. My hats off to you.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
One of my concerns when considering quitting smoking was weight. I'm not seriously overweight, but being a woman, the pressure is on to keep the figure under control at all times! lol! I've edged up a bit more than is really "healthy" on occasion however (around 30lbs over "ideal"), especially as I got older. A few years ago I went on a diet and lost the weight and determined to keep it off. Was still smoking. But...I felt I really needed to quit smoking after 43 years but was so afraid that I'd fall back on eating and thus gaining the weight back. I started with e-cigs (Safe Cig at first) and have been vaping ever since. Quit cigarettes cold with my first kit...and have since evolved in my vaping journey to APVs and such. Anyway...I didn't gain an ounce. Not even one. In fact, I noticed I've dropped another 5lbs. since I started vaping, and believe me...I was NOT trying or dieting or even exercising!

I knew if I was denied the "hand to mouth" habit of smoking I'd be doomed. But thanks to vaping that wasn't and isn't an issue. It's great isn't it? Also...I used to drink quite a bit of wine in the evenings. It wasn't hard for me to go through several glasses a night (and I'm not talking about little sippy glasses either!). Now I rarely drink anything other than water, coffee, tea or maybe an occasional soda (I might have a glass of wine for a special occasion or something but that's about it). I don't even miss the buzz. Vaping just makes me sooo happy I dont' feel any lack at all!

synthsiggy

Moved On
Nov 29, 2012
QUOTE :Congrats on your weight loss sir and I commend your motivation to walk 18 miles a day. My hats off to you.

Thank you very much. I just made up a 6 mile route on google earth which circled my town. Walked it 3 times a day. Once at 10am then again at 2pm and finally again at 6pm having 2 hours rest in between walks. Each walk took approximately 2 hours. Thats a steady 3 miles per hour. Easy pace to stick to. Just tricky getting the right footwear though. That in fact was my only problem. If you're going to try long distance walking get a good pair of boots. Seriously !

Last edited:

lisancentraltx

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2009
Ringling Brothers Circus
Well, Grimmtech, I'll tell you. I was considered morbidly obese and in the last 3 months I have quit processed sugar, carbs, caffeine, cigarettes, and begun exercising. I walk 2 miles a day, eat meat and vegetables, drink water 24/7, and I get my dessert flavors from my eGo PV. I don't know if either one of us will ever be considered skinny, but I can walk up a flight of stairs now - 6 floors and I am not hyperventilating or clutching my chest with a heart attack. So, do what you can, a bit at a time and you might just find out how easy some things come... others you may need a bit of help, but you have 1000s here on ECF rooting you on!

gh0zt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I totally agree with your addictive personality comment. I've only started vaping for a week now, but I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. In between the vaping, I'm on this forum or browsing the internet looking at different vaping goodies. It's a whole new hobby that I'm getting a lot of satisfaction out of.

P.S. It amazes me how nice the people on this forum are. I've been on message boards pretty much my whole life and there are ALWAYS trolls. I've yet to see one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread