New Here - Couple of Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
First I'd like to introduce myself - DFrances here, and I have been vaping for approx 9 months now.
I'm currently using the iStick 20 W, with the Mini nautilus. I've loved using this set up for about 5 months, except now it's been giving me some problems. I was hoping someone might be able to help me out with some tips or advice?

1) I've been getting a bunch of gurgling, loss of vapor, and too tight of a draw (even when I change the air flow, and I've cleaned it & cannot find a blockage anywhere)
2) My coils are crapping out/getting gunked up in 2-3 days, whereas before I was able to go a week or two depending on my usage.

Is my set up pooched or have I done something wrong maybe?

Thanks!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The mini Nautilus does seem to drop in performance over time. If you look inside the base, there are actually a few things that can degrade. We had this issue with a medium-experienced vaper only last week on another forum. One of mine is less than 100%, (noticeably) actually.
What power do you use it at, generally? I know that the newer versions of the BVC coil (bigger holes and more wicking) aren't working out for some users. They would work out for me, as I'd blast it (high watts) for a few puffs to clear excess juice. :)

Reactions: DFrances
The mini Nautilus does seem to drop in performance over time. If you look inside the base, there are actually a few things that can degrade. We had this issue with a medium-experienced vaper only last week on another forum. One of mine is less than 100%, (noticeably) actually.
What power do you use it at, generally? I know that the newer versions of the BVC coil (bigger holes and more wicking) aren't working out for some users. They would work out for me, as I'd blast it (high watts) for a few puffs to clear excess juice. :)

I generally use it at 3.3 V/5.5 W up to 3.6 V/6.5 W. If I go any higher I've noticed a pretty bad burnt taste with it.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Tight air draw is a sign of a couple things. One is your coil needs replaced. A second issue to check is that juice may have gotten into the bottom of the tank where the coil screws in. I've had it happen to me a few times and I just rinsed it out with vodka or soaked in hot water (let dry completely).

Different juices last longer in coils. Sweet, dark juices are harder on coils and tend to gunk faster.

As to gurgling, turn your vape completely upside down and take a slow medium hit. The gurgling is a sign that the coil is over wicked (possibly from hitting too hard). You may get some residual "spit" in this manner, but the wick will not accept more juice upside down (the fluid is now below the wick holes) and the gurgling should stop.

It is real possible you have gotten a bad batch of coils.

Tight air draw is a sign of a couple things. One is your coil needs replaced. A second issue to check is that juice may have gotten into the bottom of the tank where the coil screws in. I've had it happen to me a few times and I just rinsed it out with vodka or soaked in hot water (let dry completely).

Different juices last longer in coils. Sweet, dark juices are harder on coils and tend to gunk faster.

As to gurgling, turn your vape completely upside down and take a slow medium hit. The gurgling is a sign that the coil is over wicked (possibly from hitting too hard). You may get some residual "spit" in this manner, but the wick will not accept more juice upside down (the fluid is now below the wick holes) and the gurgling should stop.

It is real possible you have gotten a bad batch of coils.

Thanks Sir2FyablyNutz, I will give that a try!

My juices have changed yes because I'm going to a different supplier. But the VG/PG concentration is still relatively the same, it's either 60/40 or 50/50 depending on the flavour, and I started having this issue before I switched suppliers. Have gone through 2 packs of coils as well resulting in the same problems.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I take my old Nautilus coils and drop them into a jar and let them soak for a week, jiggling the jar a couple times a day. The vodka eats away a lot of the gunk and makes the coils re usable after they have dried out. I saw a poster yesterday say they boiled their old coils to clean them, had a few so I tried that but don't know if it works any better yet, need time to dry. Also, if you're into coiling, the Mini coils can be rebuilt (which I have done once).

Good luck.

Reactions: hashtag

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
The problem could be that you have evolved and pull for harder draws than you used to. Maybe time to upgrade the tank and go to a subtank mini/nano with the 1.2 ohm coils. That would certainly open it all up

I run the Kanger Subtank Mini 1.2 ohm coils at 15 to 18 watts, you can make this work on your iStick so you don't have to buy both to upgrade at the same time. I still use my Nautilus even though I have the Subtanks also.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I generally use it at 3.3 V/5.5 W up to 3.6 V/6.5 W. If I go any higher I've noticed a pretty bad burnt taste with it.
That must be a juice issue, I think.
Mostly, my 1.8ohm coils read 2.0ohms and I rarely vape them at less than 4.8 volts.
I suspect with the bigger liquid holes and what have you, then you're going to get gurgles and a poor vape at the kind of numbers you are using. I'm not saying it's 'wrong' to vape at that power, but an over-soaked coil won't perform as it should.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Hello and Welcome DFrances
Sounds like juice going where it shouldn't.
I used to have to go through a whole procedure when refilling and or changing a coil in a nautilus.
Turn it upside down over a sink and blow through air hole whilst firing it to push any liquid out.
Try not to over tighten the coils. Have the air holes closed when putting the tank back on after refilling.
After refilling take a couple of vapes without firing - primer vapes then wait a couple of minutes.
Used to be if you burnt the coils they then always tasted burnt - Don't know if thats still the case or if the coils have changed since I used one.

The coils longevity is ??? one person may get 2 days another person 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread