New here

Status
Not open for further replies.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
On a mech, there is no chip. The voltage of your battery is the voltage you output. If you abuse your battery to the point of thermal runway in a mech, congratulations! You've made a crude pipe bomb. This can be done by creating a short in the top cap, or building too low of a resistance, or having your mod auto-fire, etc... You need to be aware of quite a few safety precautions before you begin using mech mods. With most regulated mods, there are safety features in place to prevent you from creating a pipe bomb scenario. Whether that's displaying a "LOW ATOMIZER" message on the display, or "ATTY SHORT", or even "CHECK ATOMIZER" -- it can save a LOT of time, and potentially, some physical harm.
Read up on battery safety before you even think of picking up a mechanical mod, whether you're using pre-built coils or building your own.

• Agree
Reactions: DaveP

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Welcome to ecf @guelofh

Seems like the mod you're using has top vent holes although looks like not too many?

Amps = volts/ohms therefore amps = 4.2/0.17 so you'll be drawing around 25 amps from your battery which so it should be fine with your batterty with a 30 amp CDR.

Here's a link to @Mooch's battery recommendations :)

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum
Good luck to you!

Reactions: greek mule

guelofh

Feb 9, 2019
Thanks
I've reading about Ohm's law, I'm using a app to calculate it ( Vape Full Mechanical Safety in the play store)
I'm using handmade coils @0.17 Ni90 fused clapton with 30a battery

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-02-09-09-38-45.png
    Screenshot_2019-02-09-09-38-45.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Reactions: greek mule

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Are you going to use your widowmaker as a single or dual coil?
Do you have a way to accurately measure resistance?
You cannot go by should be or guessed resistance, to vape safely it must be measured accurately.
Authentic US1 Trinity or one of the several cheap knockoff/clone variety?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
guelofh said:
Hi

New here, want to learn about mechanical mods, a thread or someone than can help me?

bought a US1 by Trinity, is gonna be my first mechanical mod, I'm going to use it with fused clapton @0.17ohm(in a widowmaker ) and Samsung 20s 30A battery

I have to say here that a regulated mod would be a better first choice. You didn't say that you were moving from regulated to a mech. Just wondering. There's no forgiveness with a mech if a short occurs. Be careful!

Last edited:

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Thanks
I've reading about Ohm's law, I'm using a app to calculate it ( Vape Full Mechanical Safety in the play store)
I'm using handmade coils @0.17 Ni90 fused clapton with 30a battery
Great and very sensible...I would advise that you read as much as possible around this so that you're fully aware of all issues. There's lots on battery safety here and @Baditude will be able to point you to some great recommendations for mech safety.

Not something to be scared about and it definitely shouldn't ruin your vape experience, just things you should know so you're on your toes a bit :D Happy hitting :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Baditude

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Using two .17Ω coils as dual coil setup in the widowmaker = .17Ω / 2 = .085Ω
4.2v /.085 = 49.4 a = not safe to use, at all. There is no single cell that will support this safely.
I think the OP means that his dual coils are coming out at 0.17...I hope so anyway

• Agree
Reactions: mintymints

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's hard to imagine that 2 ohms used to be low resistance! :) I remember conversations such as this one when someone mentioned sub ohm coils on a mech. I regularly vape .5 ohm coils daily at 10W or so on regulated mods. Back then, I would have had people cautioning me for going so far below the one ohm level.

Times have certainly changed in the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread