new k100 isn't firing with recharged batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1kingfan

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
wisconin,usa
Multimeter, have you checked the battery or the output from the pin on the k100?

Without a multimeter it's hard to troubleshoot where the issue lies

Ok, I figured out how to test for voltage but I only got 2.6 volts on my 18350. How long do these charge for? I think I already charged it for an hour or more.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Ok, I figured out how to test for voltage but I only got 2.6 volts on my 18350. How long do these charge for? I think I already charged it for an hour or more.

It's going to take several hours. And you need more than one battery if you plan to use the K100 more often.

v1kingfan

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
wisconin,usa
What's the brand and model of your charger? There should be some indicator on the charger when the batteries are at full charge.

Also what batteries are they (brand)? Any idea how old they are?
I didn't see a model name for the batteries or the charger. All it says is ICR 18350 on the battery. The charger says patented product so it might be the one that came with the k100 originally.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Suggestion:

ICR's have overcurrent protection built in..it might be kicking in...also you have to fully charge your batteries to tell if you are getting large voltage losses ever time a piece of metal contacts another one (also cleaning/sanding the springs/contacts help [corrosion/oxidation can get on the surface and it acts as a surface resistor]) you have to use IMR's and monitor the voltage closely!!!!

have spare batteries if you expect to vape alot...

You could always throw a battery extender on it, get some IMR 18500's then a smoktech kick or clone and turn your simple mechanical into a VW rig that HAS low voltage protection...

Simple route is to get good 18350's IMR's and a decent charger, or take it back and tell em it ain't working and have the vendor you bought it from figure it out

Check the voltage on the charger too..it should be 4.20vdc

Last edited:

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
Ok, I figured out how to test for voltage but I only got 2.6 volts on my 18350.

My spidey senses are tingling here.
You're saying your battery is only reading 2.6v on a multimeter?
It is to my understanding that you don't wanna take batteries much below 3.2v.
If you've charged it for an hour or more, and it's only at 2.6v, I'm thinking you ran that sucker down a little too low.
This can damage cells.
Anybody else care to chime in on that?

v1kingfan

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2013
wisconin,usa
My spidey senses are tingling here.
You're saying your battery is only reading 2.6v on a multimeter?
It is to my understanding that you don't wanna take batteries much below 3.2v.
If you've charged it for an hour or more, and it's only at 2.6v, I'm thinking you ran that sucker down a little too low.
This can damage cells.
Anybody else care to chime in on that?

In the future how can I tell if I start to run it too low?

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
You'll sense that the vape isn't as strong.
You may wanna look into the lowest recommended voltage for your battery.
I notice mine start to seem a bit weak on the vape around 3.4ish volts on my k100

With my vaping habits, I barely get half a day out of an 18350 on my k100.
Usually only run about 1ohm coils with 18350.
I have rolled as low as .8ohm, but save that for bigger batteries mostly.

Last edited:

savagemann

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2013
California East Bay
It's hard to say, and I may not even be on the right track.....but what I would do in tge future is, load up a fresh battery. Vape it for an hour or 2. Make note whether the vape is getting weak or not.
Take it out and measure the voltage on a multi meter to see where it's at.
If it's still well above 3.6v, put it back in and vape a bit more.
Do this until you get a sense of what the vape feels like at different voltages.
Try to never go below 3.2v as the voltage drops off really fast beyond that and can damage the battery.
Im a pretty newb vaper myself, but have been dabbling with electronics and flashlights for a while.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Another thing that's possibly going on is these are just bad batteries, and maybe even the charger.

I would never use any battery that didn't have a brand name on it that I was familiar with. These are likely generic batteries at best, which are unknown batteries made by unknown manufacturer. If it was me the best place for those batteries are in the trash bin.

The charger sounds like a generic, too. Any decent charger will have some type of manufacturer's name on it.

This is, I would imagine, a common problem when buying a "kit" from an overseas vendor (I'm assuming here). Vendors skimp where they can, and including some cheap inexpensive batteries and charger is how they do it. Novices think they're getting a decent deal with such a kit, but often the batteries and charger are just junk.

Use this guide to help you find some quality SAFE batteries and a charger: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/4848-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected.html

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Another thing that's possibly going on is these are just bad batteries, and maybe even the charger.

I would never use any battery that didn't have a brand name on it that I was familiar with. These are likely generic batteries at best, which are unknown batteries of unknown quality made by unknown manufacturer. This now becomes a safety issue. If it was me the best place for those batteries are in the trash bin.

The charger sounds like a generic, too. Any decent charger will have some type of manufacturer's name on it.

This is, I would imagine, a common problem when buying a "kit" from an overseas vendor (I'm assuming here). Vendors skimp where they can, and including some cheap inexpensive batteries and charger is how they do it. Novices think they're getting a decent deal with such a kit, but often the batteries and charger are just junk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread