New member, help with Mod/battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewl

Sep 2, 2014
Uk
Hi all,

I recently bought a Sentinel M16 mod with a Sony VTC4 18650 battery.

The problem I have is that sometimes the battery will activate by itself even when the firing button is in its locked position.

Can't see anything wrong with the battery or mod, I also make sure the tubes on the mod are not too tight, the firing pin on the inside bottom cap is definitely not making contact with battery either as when not in use it's locked.

Any ideas?

Thanks. Andrew

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
An auto-firing mod is an extremely dangerous situation. If you can't figure out what's causing it to autofire, don't use that mod....ever!! An auto-firing mod will quickly over-discharge a battery causing it to go into thermal runaway. This is an extremely dangerous situation and could cause the battery to vent extremely hot gas and possibly flames or explode.

I don't know enough about your specific mod to help you troubleshoot the problem. I just wanted to let you know the danger involved should you continue to use it without finding the solution.

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
I agree with the above post. It sounds like a specific issue with your mod. I had a nemisis that did the same and in my case I had a issue with the firing button. Sadly I am not familiar with your mod so I won't be much help with trouble shooting. But it sounds like the firing pin is likely still making contact with the battery even when it's supposed to be off or locked position. Is your pin or firing button adjustable? It definitely sounds dangerous and I wouldn't take ANY chances with it until you, without a doubt, find the problem and are Certain it is fixed_ meanwhile remove the battery so it won't self fire and cause a problem. Hope this helps a little bit

Andrewl

Sep 2, 2014
Uk
I agree with the above post. It sounds like a specific issue with your mod. I had a nemisis that did the same and in my case I had a issue with the firing button. Sadly I am not familiar with your mod so I won't be much help with trouble shooting. But it sounds like the firing pin is likely still making contact with the battery even when it's supposed to be off or locked position. Is your pin or firing button adjustable? It definitely sounds dangerous and I wouldn't take ANY chances with it until you, without a doubt, find the problem and are Certain it is fixed_ meanwhile remove the battery so it won't self fire and cause a problem. Hope this helps a little bit

Thanks for that. The pin is adjustable yes. The weird thing is that I am absolutely the pin is not making contact with the battery as I've tested this out

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Highly doubtful that it is self-firing due to a battery problem... likely it has something to do with the mod itself. As joelmora89 said, there should be some type of insulator on top of the firing switch outside of the firing pin. It keeps the battery raised up above the firing pin so that it doesn't fire until you raise the pin above the insulator. Also, is the shrink wrap around the battery in good condition? If the shrink wrap is damaged the battery could shift in the tube and the bottom (negative end) of the battery may touch the inside of the mod wall which would complete the circuit (the same as pressing the fire button).

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Just because the ring is there doesn't mean that the pin can't touch the battery if the pin isn't adjusted correctly, though. You might try tightening up the pin a bit, there may still be some play in there.
That's good that the battery appears fine. That means that the problem is in the mod somewhere, and that shouldn't be too difficult to find. It could be a burr or a small bit of wire that is floating around and completing the circuit for you. I would recommend taking the mod completely apart (break down each piece, including the entire firing button assembly) and cleaning everything really well. Put it back together and see if your problem disappears. Again, if it continues to self-fire do not continue to use it.

Andrewl

Sep 2, 2014
Uk
Just because the ring is there doesn't mean that the pin can't touch the battery if the pin isn't adjusted correctly, though. You might try tightening up the pin a bit, there may still be some play in there.
That's good that the battery appears fine. That means that the problem is in the mod somewhere, and that shouldn't be too difficult to find. It could be a burr or a small bit of wire that is floating around and completing the circuit for you. I would recommend taking the mod completely apart (break down each piece, including the entire firing button assembly) and cleaning everything really well. Put it back together and see if your problem disappears. Again, if it continues to self-fire do not continue to use it.

Cheers, will give it a good going over later.
Sadly the website I bought the battery from, Grey Haze, is convinced the battery is not faulty but don't explain why, and don't seem willing to send a replacement despite having a 28 day warranty. :/

Kaezziel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
No worries...
As I said earlier, I doubt there is anything wrong with the battery, personally. Typical battery problems are that they won't hold or take a charge. The battery itself cannot complete the circuit in the mod to cause it to fire.
I hope that giving the mod a good and thorough cleaning will solve your problem. If not, come back and tell us of your progress and we'll see if we can help you de-bug it further!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread