New Member/Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

GolfMan

Dec 26, 2017
Hello everyone!

I will get right to it.

I am 28 years old, been dipping smokeless tobacco since I was 16 years old. I smoke cigarettes occasionally, but am not addicted to those.

I quit dipping for about 3 months about 4 years ago and stupid me started dipping again once I got around my old friends. During that time I had bought a basic e-cig and was using that as a substitute instead of dipping. I actually really enjoyed it.

Anyways, I know things have probably changed since then, but I am ready to stop dipping again. I have had enough of it and am tired of spending money on it. (I dip a can of day and spending around $1000 on year on that crap.)

Here is what I am looking for:

-A good starter kit around $40-$50
-I want to buy my own juice (not prefilled)
-Something small enough to fit into my pocket

Hope that helps, and I am looking forward to the replies.

Thank you!

-GolfMan

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF GolfMan. You are probably going to want to do some research but the two starter kits I usually recommend are the Aspire Zelos, which comes with a MTL tank that folks usually enjoy, or a Pico 25 setup that comes with the Melo II or Melo III tanks. For a budget setup a lot of folks like the T18 or T22 setup, the attached tank is very MTL although you would be vaping at a fixed wattage if you buy the kit, and for me that's a bit on the high side, but many folks swear by them.

As far as juices, if you have a vape shop near you, some will allow juice taste testing, which can be helpful. Most folks start out somewhere in the neighborhood of 50/50 or 60/40 VG/PG ratio. PG is a flavor carrier and thins the juice, it also offers some throat hit. VG tends to make more clouds and most MTL users don't use it exclusively, unless there are some sort of special circumstances.

As far as nicotine content, I really don't know what to tell you, as I wasn't a dipper. I have seen posts where dippers started out with pretty high nic, like 18--24, but depending on how MUCH you dip, I'm not sure if you need to go that high. I might get a flavor in say 12 m.g. and 24 m.g. and that way you can experiment with lower and higher-- even mixing the two to get an "in between" nic level in your tank. If you feel sensations of too much nic, stop vaping.

Best of luck and welcome to ECF!

Anna

Last edited:

GolfMan

Dec 26, 2017
Welcome to ECF GolfMan. You are probably going to want to do some research but the two starter kits I usually recommend are the Aspire Zelos, which comes with a MTL tank that folks usually enjoy, or a Pico 25 setup that comes with the Melo II or Melo III tanks. For a budget setup a lot of folks like the T18 or T22 setup, the attached tank is very MTL although you would be vaping at a fixed wattage if you buy the kit, and for me that's a bit on the high side, but many folks swear by them.

As far as juices, if you have a vape shop near you, some will allow juice taste testing, which can be helpful. Most folks start out somewhere in the neighborhood of 50/50 or 60/40 VG/PG ratio. VG is a flavor carrier and thins the juice, it also offers some throat hit. VG tends to make more clouds and most MTL users don't use it exclusively, unless there are some sort of special circumstances.

As far as nicotine content, I really don't know what to tell you, as I wasn't a dipper. I have seen posts where dippers started out with pretty high nic, like 18--24, but depending on how MUCH you dip, I'm not sure if you need to go that high. I might get a flavor in say 12 m.g. and 24 m.g. and that way you can experiment with lower and higher-- even mixing the two to get an "in between" nic level in your tank. If you feel sensations of too much nic, stop vaping.

Best of luck and welcome to ECF!

Anna

Thank you for your input! I checked out the Aspire Zelos 50w Kit and it looks awesome. Looks like it has loads of great reviews. I appreciate it!

If you want all day battery life a eleaf istick 60w kit is a good starting point. I would just order the mod and get a Kanger Toptank or subtank mini.

Thanks! I will check this one out too. Just doing my homework today to see what is out there.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
VG is a flavor carrier and thins the juice, it also offers some throat hit. VG tends to make more clouds and most MTL users don't use it exclusively, unless there are some sort of special circumstances.
@stols001 , I believe you made a typo which might confuse some novices.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
To the original poster, there is a lot of gear on the market today which you would find useful. Become familiar with the terminology used in vaping: MTL (mouth-to-lung), DL (direct lung), regulated mod (variable power), mechanical mod (no electronics), etc. Research each piece of gear that you are interested in; You Tube has a neat search feature where you can generally find several reviews of the specific battery device or juice delivery device (tank).

Basically, become a more informed consumer.

With that said, I will provide my own :2c: worth. Avoid the cigalike devices, they are basically a waste of money and time. Focus on a Ego battery device or a regulated mod setup. Most of us veterans have gone through several setups to find "The One" that we are currently using; the previous setups become our "backups". In addition, your vaping preferences will likely change over time. For instance, I began as a MTL vaper, but now I prefer DL.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Last edited:

GolfMan

Dec 26, 2017
To the original poster, there is a lot of gear on the market today which you would find useful. Become familiar with the terminology used in vaping: MTL (mouth-to-lung), DL (direct lung), regulated mod (variable power), mechanical mod (no electronics), etc. Research each piece of gear that you are interested in; You Tube has a neat search feature where you can generally find several reviews of the specific battery device or juice delivery device (tank).

With that said, I will provide my own :2c: worth. Avoid the cigalike devices, they are basically a waste of money and time. Focus on a Ego battery device or a regulated mod setup. Most of us veterans have gone through several setups to find "The One" that we are currently using; the previous setups become our "backups". In addition, your vaping preferences will likely change over time. For instance, I began as a MTL vaper, but now I prefer DL.

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Delivery Devices

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to list all of that for me.

yo vapo

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2011
Texas
I think you will be happy vaping instead of dipping and probably heathier, but not sure if it's going to be cheaper...1k per year is not that much imo...
If you go DIY (mixing your own juice) you can vape on the cheap, just sayin'

It is useful to buy pre-mixed juice for a while at least to get a feel for what flavors you like.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
If you go DIY (mixing your own juice) you can vape on the cheap, just sayin'

It is useful to buy pre-mixed juice for a while at least to get a feel for what flavors you like.
Very true......and that's definitely the way to go if you can...if not, and you buy vendor juice, I think you would be looking at least 1k minimum, that's providing 30mls last a week...and if your buying coils? That adds up....so making juice and coils are definitely the way

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GolfMan

Dec 26, 2017
I think you will be happy vaping instead of dipping and probably heathier, but not sure if it's going to be cheaper...1k per year is not that much imo...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think so too! Thank you.

Hello and welcome to ecf

Thank you for the welcome. :)

I expect the $1K is a reasonable number. Cigs, $1.5K to $2K or more, depending. Although, being a cheapskate, I used to roll my own. :D

$1k was just a round a bout. A can cost a little more than $3 and I usually buy 1 a day.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
To quit dipping, you don't really need a mod or tank. Just get a good tobacco juice, put a few drops in a piece of wicking material, and put it between your cheek and gum...add juice periodically as necessary.;)

Just kidding - Like Anna, I highly recommend the Zelos kit. It was great as a starter. I gave the Nautilus 2 tank to my son who quit smoking with it as well (I do RTA's now). I also got my daughter in law the Zelos kit, and she's quit. And one of my employees. It's a fantastic starter kit. And I still use the mod as a backup.

+1 on diy juice. I make better juice than I can buy, for literally pennies on the dollar.

Good luck!

GolfMan

Dec 26, 2017
To quit dipping, you don't really need a mod or tank. Just get a good tobacco juice, put a few drops in a piece of wicking material, and put it between your cheek and gum...add juice periodically as necessary.;)

Just kidding - Like Anna, I highly recommend the Zelos kit. It was great as a starter. I gave the Nautilus 2 tank to my son who quit smoking with it as well (I do RTA's now). I also got my daughter in law the Zelos kit, and she's quit. And one of my employees. It's a fantastic starter kit. And I still use the mod as a backup.

+1 on diy juice. I make better juice than I can buy, for literally pennies on the dollar.

Good luck!

That made me lol. I was like...is this guy serious haha.

Thank you for your input. After doing research yesterday I purchased the Aspire Zelos Kit and a couple of juices from Mt. Baker. I plan on going to some of my local vape shops once I receive it and try and taste test some of their products.

I think I am fan of Menthol type flavors so I may have to look into the DIY stuff if I do.

Thanks again!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
They do make ah, nic salt "pouches" that you can tuck somewhere in your mouth and absorb mucosally. A kind member here sent me some to try (at the time, I was awaiting the kiddo's trial which looks as if it will go away and needed something that would be "stealthy"... But they violated his right to a speedy trial which only seems fair to me as the kiddo hadn't actually done anything wrong, other than being naiive at 17 about what mentioning "the card" would mean... ) Even the arresting officer said he was driving fine and it is NOW three years LATER, sadly not unusual for around here) and I found the 8 m.g. to be fairly strong (and I vape 18% nic) but it's a bit of a different delivery method.

They come in a variety of flavors, and @Burnie might be a good person to tell you more about them. I merely mention it because they ARE a safer method and sort of a similar delivery method, and they might be of use to you as you are transitioning, if there's a time of day you are "super used to" chewing, say after dinner and it's a somewhat safer substitute (I did get a nic buzz, I'm pretty certain it was the delivery method).

Just a thought... Although yes a drop or two of e-liquid in your mouth won't hurt you, I wouldn't recommend drinking the stuff... Or applying it to a bandaid as a patch (although it is my understanding that those methods can work, if desperately needed and etc.) I really prefer to vape, LOL.

Anna

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I think I am fan of Menthol type flavors so I may have to look into the DIY stuff if I do
Welcome and glad you joined.
Here is a quick look into DIY mixing with one shots, might like to visit:
One Shot Concentrates
One Shot Flavor Concentrates
http://www.ecigexpress.com/shop/diy-e-liquid/one-shot-concentrates.html
One of the advantages in one shot mixing, is a mix with a set taste that is close to the flavor advertised on the bottle.
A disadvantage, is the mix can be difficult to customize. This form of DIY is simpler than mixing numerous "single" flavors.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia

Basically, become a more informed consumer.

Read all this, great stuff worth the time.

Everyone will recommend a Pico, still.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. Just to prove @jfcooley right, I will also recommend a Pico, with a Nautilus tank if you're sure you want MTL, or a Kanger Toptank if you want to experiment with the styles. Get at least 60 watts unless you buy the Nautilus when the 25 watt machine will do nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread