Status
Not open for further replies.

rusirius

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
DE
Hi all,
New member here, well, been lurking for a long time, but just finally registered and thought I'd introduce myself.

So I'm probably a little strange as far as my back story goes. I smoked cigarettes when I was young, probably between 15 and 21 years old... Then I quit. Didn't touch anything for many many years. Then I started enjoying cigars. Quite different for those who also enjoy one now and then. I would have a cigar every 2 or 3 days, just sitting outside enjoying the weather during the spring/summer/fall seasons. My wife (and girlfriend, but we won't go into that story, but just so you don't think I'm a total .... right off the bat, rest assured they know about each other and are perfectly fine with our situation... :2cool:) So anyway, they hated it.. Not because of any health concerns, but just because of the taste and smell left behind for the day or two following.

I decided to start only having a cigar once in a great while.. maybe one every month or so. It certainly was cheaper anyway! and it made them happy. But unfortunately there was a down side to that... Sitting outside working on work, or just relaxing and enjoying the weather just didn't seem the same. It just wasn't as relaxing or as enjoyable.

When browsing one of the sites I bought cigars from often, I saw an "e-hookah". Hrmmm... Blueberry... That's interesting... I mean... I've seen and heard of these things, but never really considered trying one... It's cheap enough... and disposable... I'll give it a try, see what it's like and who knows... So that's exactly what I did.

When it arrived I anxiously tore open the package. Just suck on this end and enjoy. :laugh: Ok, fair enough... Wow! That actually tastes pretty good, and no bad cigar smell... Certainly doesn't taste like a cigar, but hey, I'm compromising here... And I have to admit, this is pretty cool... I could sit outside and relax while enjoying this...

And that my friends is where it all began... It wasn't long till I had emptied the tank... Well, my wife and I emptied the tank, because she tried it and loved it as well. She would occasionally have a cigar with me too, but also hated the after effects of the taste and smell. This was awesome!

The point is, I didn't start with smoking cigarettes and use vaping as a way to get off them, instead I guess I started them on my own, even though the cigars were a conduit, but I certainly had no addiction to them.

Once that "e-hookah" was gone, I decided to buy a "better" option. I ordered a set of Ego-Twist's. One silver for my wife, and one black for myself. CE5 tanks and a couple of juices from some online vendor.

Most of those juices were terrible in comparison. I was honestly just about ready to throw in the towel... I didn't want to keep buying disposables, but this was nothing like the experience I had with it. Applying logic I decided maybe it was the juice manufacturer. So I ordered a new batch of 5 juices. This time from Zeus e-juice.

Now that was a much different experience... We loved it. And all was right with the world.

Soon I was buying 10 packs of CE4 and CE5s and my collection of 12ml juice bottles was growing.

That's when I saw an MVP2 on one of the sites I was looking at. Whoa... I can charge my cell phone if need be, charge it in the car, and get way more battery life? Ok let's give it a go!

That was an awesome move, and I still love my MVP, but it started yet another chain reaction. Because included with the MVP was an iclear 30 tank. It was a giant compared to my others, and supposedly dual coil... Ok, I wasn't quit sure why that would make a difference, but what the heck, I have it, and it was free, so why not try it... It sure does look nice sitting on that MVP...

WOW! What a difference... So much more of a dense and nice vape! So much more flavor!

I was stoked... But now, I realize, this vape thing... It can just keep getting better and better... Originally I was just thinking, hey, I suck, I get vapor... Ok great... but now? Now the world was opening up before me...

Soon I had a collection of various tanks... Kanga, Vivi Nova, etc.... But then I hit the motherload... The Kayfun Lite... I have an electrical engineering background, so understanding the basics of the coils was second nature to me. I started building setups and playing around. Silica, Ekowool, different wraps, different coils... It took me a while to get the wicking right. As anyone with a kayfun will tell you, it's kinda picky... But here and there I would hit a sweet spot and it would be glorious!!! Eventually I found my way to micro-coils and cotton...

All of this had yet another chain effect... I was steaming through juice like a locomotive... The better my tanks and coils got, the higher my power was going and the more juice I was constantly stuffing into these tanks... My juice collection was dwindling... But that's ok, because i was also settling in with a few juices that I really liked, surprisingly enough from a local B&M that blends their own.

Soon my wicking and coil building had perfected enough that I needed more power... So I then moved on to a Sigelei zmax v5... Which looked great with the kayfun perched atop it. Now I was cranking out vapor clouds that were so rich and dense and packed with flavor. I couldn't have been happier...

But the progression continued... I played around with dual coil setups in the kayfun, but there just wasn't much room in there... I could do it, but was never really satisfied with it... So off I went to purchase a fogger v4... I knew my v5 could only do down to 1.2 ohms so I built my first coils at 2.42ohms each... It worked, but it was a lot of metal and the v5 just couldn't push it the way I needed it to... It just took too long to heat up.... So I knew where I needed to go next... I knew I needed to find a mechanical mod...

And that's where I am now. Getting ready to get my first mechanical so I can make this fogger purr the way it's supposed to. I'm going to rebuild it and probably shoot for about 1.4ohms on each coil, hitting .7 ohms total at first. I want to make sure I get my wicking perfected on it before I shoot for anything lower.

That's my story... and I'm sticking to it... :D

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
Welcome. Ahh yes your vaping journey is progressing. Unlike you I started vaping to squash a 45 yr 2 PAD habit. But like you I have I started small and have progressed to bigger and better things. In a few weeks it will be 1 year since my last smoke and for me what ever keeps me of cigs is the rihgt way! Good Luck with your journey!! :vapor:

Oh and by the way. 2 women!! Man I have a hard enough time with my wife of 28 years!!! You are the Master to keep the peace between 2!! :D

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
My vape journey was really similar - except no ehooka for me, and I went from egos strait to SiD (zmax 15w device).
I'm i'm using a coupor box mod (hana dna clone) and a 4nine mech primarily. I drip the majority of the time but have the kfl+ for when i need a tank.
I love rebuilding and dripping!

The MVP with the Nautilus BVC is what I recommend to beginners, its a really good starter set up - low learning curve, but a good vape that, for most, lasts a while!

welcome! glad you found something to replace your tobacco use with!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

pwheeler

Just Vaping
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Weimar, TX
What a story! Welcome to the forum, and one of the best introductions I've read in a good while! I started vaping on an Ego-T and it was enough to get me off of the cigarettes. I rapidly moved to an MVP2 and iClears and Kanger tanks. Went to rebuildables, I.e. a Kayfun Lite plus. Bought an SVD next, then decided to try mechanicals and got my Nemesis. Moved into dripping with an IGO dual coil and was in heaven! Loved dripping so much but hated always having to carry my juices, I found and bought a Reo Grand. I now have 2 of those as my daily drivers, but still drip with my Nemmy as well. It's been a journey, as you will see, but a lot of fun! I never thought quitting a 40 year smoking habit could be fun!:)

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
RA-YellowroseMouse207-welcome.gif
to ecf rusirius . So glad you finally joined. Enjoyed reading about you and look forward to more. Happy vaping to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread