Status
Not open for further replies.

jan19230

Oct 26, 2014
France
Hi Everyone

My name is Jan born in the UK but have been living in France for the last 10 years. Hoping to move back to the UK next year if we can sell the house.

I've been a smoker for 42 years, so I know this is not going to be easy, but I have to do it as my health is not that good. Chest infection every year and struggling to walk upstairs without getting out of breath.

My e-cigs have arrived. I went for the Vapourlites VL4 medium strength, so would be nice to hear from anyone else using these and hearing about their experience.

My main problem is that I really do want to give up smoking, but I panic when it comes close to starting the journey. Did anyone else go through this?

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you and any help will be gratefully received.

Jan

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum Jan. Glad to have you here!:)

I have no experience with Vapourlites, but when I first began vaping (8 years ago) the only kits that were available were the size of a cigarette (we now call these cig-a-lites). Did you get one of the kits in the link I posted? If so, which one.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
Welcome to the forum.

I have no experience with that device but I do have a bit of experience with the panic. ;)

Just take it slow. There is nothing saying that one way is the correct way of quitting cigarettes. There is a saying that is quite memorable, around here: Don't count the cigs you have, count the ones you don't have.
We are one of the best support systems out there. :)

Maytwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
SW France
Hi Jan and welcome to the forum. Although I've never used Vapourlites we've got a few other things in common - I'm also from the UK living in France (though no intentions of going back, at least for the foreseeable future) and I smoked for 41 years. I had cut right down on the cigarettes during 2011/2013 and half-heartedly tried to quit using cigalikes (Joyetech 510) but they really didn't do it for me. It wasn't until I came back here to ECF at the end of 2013, discovered now much things had moved on and upgraded to an Innokin iTaste VV3 (two of them) that I finally made the decision to quit - and I've not had a cigarette since 19/12/13.

I can totally relate to the feeling of panic but having made the decision I was determined to stick with it. I had bad cravings for a couple of weeks and they didn't totally go for about 2 months, particularly for that first one of the morning but I vaped through them ! At the beginning I used to think that filling tanks and cleaning coils was a PITA but it's now just part of life's routine and no hassle at all.

I can say without doubt that if it wasn't for vaping I'd still be smoking - and if I can give up, anyone can - and this forum with its wealth of information and helpful members has been a real help in my journey :)

Polka Dot Spot

Unregistered Supplier
  • Deleted by Robino1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

jan19230

Oct 26, 2014
France
Hi Susan -S. Not a good start, sorry, but I missed that link. Could you post it again for me please.

The Vapourlites are cigarette shaped and look them too only they glow blue at the end. I have several friends, and my brother who have used them and swear by them, so I am hoping they will do the job for me too.

Robino1. Thank you. Yes, counting the cigarettes I don't have is the way forward. I have managed to cut down from 25 to 15 a day, but my body is telling me that even those are too much, so action needs taking now.

I have to go for an endoscopy on 5 November in the early morning, so it would be quite nice if I wasn't having my usual morning cough when it happens. How embarrassing would that be and I would probably get yet another lecture from a doctor about smoking.

Redruth

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2014
Crawley, England
Hi Jan and welcome. Can't really answer your questions because I am so new to all this. But I can so identify with the panic. However I started vaping and within a couple of days I'm off the stinky sticks. This is my second full day without them. I've still got an opened pack but vaping totally satisfies that kick I need.

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
The best advice is Do What You Can Do. Don't force your self. This will only stress yourself out and make you want a cig even more.
Don't make having a cig convenient, but if you must, do it. But don't make it easy.
If you find your e-cig is not satisfying your craving, up your nicotine. 18mg is what I started with and I never craved a cig.
I got my first e-cig June 1 2013, smoked one cig while waking up the next AM. None since, my switch to vaping was painless. Hopefully your's will be also.

OBTW, if you DR cannot be supportive of your effort, maybe you need a new DR.

jan19230

Oct 26, 2014
France
Thanks everyone. Positive thoughts is what I need and it sounds like you have all put that demon well and truly behind you.

A couple of years ago, I brought some e-cigs called ClearSmoke and they were useless. Didn't taste of anything and although buying an extra box of 10 cartomisers (which were not cheap), only three of them actually worked, so I gave up.

Vaping starts in the morning, so here goes.

DroopyDogs

Oct 26, 2014
Lancaster, PA
Hi Jan! I'm a newbie also, haven't had a cigarette in almost two weeks now (and freaking proud of it). I smoked for over 30 years. I approached this by letting myself have smokes in the morning, and even took them with me when I left the house. I figured if I wanted one, I would have one, and put no pressure on myself to quit. What I found is that the flavor and taste of vaping was much better than the cigarettes and I found after a couple of days - cigarettes just plain taste AWFUL compared to vaping. I still have some here at home and even in my car, but they have sat for the last two weeks untouched because I know they will taste terrible.
I'm sure everyone has their own approach, just keep vaping and don't leave home without it! You'll get there in your own time. Welcome aboard!

Winchester

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Califorina
Hi and Welcome to ECF! You picked the right forum. When I quit after 40 plus years of smoking I got a lot of support from my son and from the people on this forum. I haven't had a analog in over two years. I did the same thing you are doing now. So that being said don't panic you can beat it! The most important think is you have to want to quit. Well that's my :2c: Keep Clam and Vape On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
My e-cigs have arrived. I went for the Vapourlites VL4 medium strength, so would be nice to hear from anyone else using these and hearing about their experience.

Hi Jan.

Vapourlites probably won't get you off the cigarettes. I know the product and you are going to need an incredible amount of will-power and accept that cravings are not going to be cured using this product.

I'm afraid this is the reality of these products. Anybody who has quit (100%) smoking using them has got used to getting by with far less nicotine than before when they were smoking. These people could also probably stop using them tomorrow... or swap to a very mild nicotine patch.

I could write pages and pages explaining, but I don't suppose you would believe what I have to write. I have been researching products like these, and E-Lites and Nicolites (10 motives, VIP) since I failed to quit smoking with them back in 2012.

So, tough love from me. Nobody bothered to tell me that E-Lites wouldn't work. I spent £100s on them, went from bad to worse and nearly lost my job and my marriage.

If you do quit - congratulate yourself, not the product. The product is just an excuse to take your money.

I am so sorry.

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Hi Jan where you have started is where most people start.
Then most people move on to use other items.
It can seem daunting at first but with a place like this you do begin to find something you want to try and sooner or later you find something that you enjoy.
Now this may be the first product you start to use but most people it isn't. As most people seem get something that looks like a smoke.
The you go through what sites to buy from and what nicotine strength and so on.
The cigalikes like i said are where most start after looking into vaping but when they spend more time on it most move on to tanks , clearomizers , ego-batteries and then onto mods.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
....the new mods and builds now days are incredible. This industry has grown so fast... Love it

Indeed. That is the issue here. The 1st generation products are redundant now. (plus, the people selling them are clinging on to their profit before the good times grind to an inevitable end).

E-lites sold out to Japan tobacco for an undisclosed sum. (according to the Financial Times).

Their sales are falling through the floor. Most shops are now unable to sell them to anybody but the completely unaware new users of e-cigs. That market has almost stopped (figures from Smoking in England)

• Prevalence of e-cigarette use increased rapidly until Q3 in 2013 but has not grown for 12 months

Two last comments.

91% of users trying basic e-cigarettes return to smoking within days.

75% of users using 2nd generation devices said it had been several weeks or months since their last cigarette.

The comparison could hardly be any more black and white.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi Everyone

My name is Jan born in the UK but have been living in France for the last 10 years. Hoping to move back to the UK next year if we can sell the house.

I've been a smoker for 42 years, so I know this is not going to be easy, but I have to do it as my health is not that good. Chest infection every year and struggling to walk upstairs without getting out of breath.

My main problem is that I really do want to give up smoking, but I panic when it comes close to starting the journey. Did anyone else go through this?

Anyway, I look forward to chatting with you and any help will be gratefully received.

Jan

Most of us who've been smoking for decades find the switch to vaping happens very fast once you find a decent setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread