Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,
New here to the e-cig forum yet not so new to vaping (haha)
I’ve been vaping for almost a year and I’m so happy with the choice I made to quit smoking,

My first question is,
I’ve been building my own coils (claps, stag claps, stag staged, ect) without any hassle but every now and then I put a build in one of my many RDA’s or my trusty Zeus dual and I get a foul taste that lingers in the back of my throat,
It’s not a dry hit, I do prime my cotton well before hitting it but it’s like a dead metallicy taste,

I am yet to find ANY info that explains
1) what causes that foul taste? (even with fresh juice)
And 2) what can I do to fix it?

I primarily use Ni80 coz I like the heating properties of it over Kan A1 (ramp time) ect and sometimes I use SS and Ni80 together when I build for my mech,

Any info on the subject would be muchly appreciated

Cheers

Reactions: BrotherBob

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't have an answer for a foul metalic taste.

If it happened to me, I would probably change my wick, and if that didn't help, I'd start looking for a different wick medium from what I was currently using. If you are using plain cotton, maybe try something like cotton bacon or KoGenDo. I switched to Rayon (cellucotton) and never looked back.

If it isn't the wick, I'd try different wire than what I was using.

Hope you find the solution, grats on not smoking, and welcome to the forum.

I don't have an answer for a foul metalic taste. If it happened to me, I would probably change my wick, and if that didn't help, I'd start looking for a different wick medium from what I was currently using. If you are using plain cotton, maybe try something like cotton bacon or KoGenDo. I switched to Rayon (cellucotton) and never looked back.

Hope you find the solution, grats on not smoking, and welcome to the forum.

Yea that’s what I’ve done I first change the cotton out but sometimes the taste is still there so I change the coils...

The cotton I use is cotton bacon V2 or firebolt cotton, just depends if I’m wicking my RDA or RTA,

Do you wash your hands well before handling the cotton?

Yes I wash my hands before making the coils and handling the cotton because of the oil and dead skin that can transfer onto the wire and cotton, that was the one of the first things that the owner of my local vape shop told me to do before I started making my own coils,

I did just read a thread on here about a member having the same problem and someone said that it could be caused by a “hot leg”...

Real noob question lol but what is a hot leg? I don’t think Ive ever had one on my coils

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I did just read a thread on here about a member having the same problem and someone said that it could be caused by a “hot leg”...

Real noob question lol but what is a hot leg? I don’t think Ive ever had one on my coils
A hot leg happens when a coil is incorrectly made or just rewound too many times. It means the connector to the post (the leg) is getting red hot. That could cause this problem as the material of the screw would heat up too and effectively create a vaping surface

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Yes I wash my hands before making the coils and handling the cotton because of the oil and dead skin that can transfer onto the wire and cotton, that was the one of the first things that the owner of my local vape shop told me to do before I started making my own coils,

I’ve never heard of this one before. I don’t do this.

A hot leg happens when a coil is incorrectly made or just rewound too many times. It means the connector to the post (the leg) is getting red hot. That could cause this problem as the material of the screw would heat up too and effectively create a vaping surface

Ahhh ok I get what ya mean, so I guess it’s just one of those unforeseen things that can happen when winding you own coils, I was starting to think that I might of got a bad batch of wire

Reactions: Baditude

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Ahhh ok I get what ya mean, so I guess it’s just one of those unforeseen things that can happen when winding you own coils, I was starting to think that I might of got a bad batch of wire
Hi and welcome,
Do you make contact coils or spaced?
Are you cleaning the wire before and after construction? Some wire is filthy!
Are you "glowing" the coils before wicking to ensure even heating and no hot spots? IMO, very important with contact coils, less so with spaced.
Often it is necessary to re tighten the post screws/grubs after the test fires and before wicking.

Cheers
I

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Glad to hear you received a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread