New reonaut, help tuning my vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

COski

Feb 21, 2013
CO
I just picked up a Reo Mini 2.1. Loving the build quality, but I have some work to do on the vaping. I've prefilled the atty's plenty, but it runs so long without a squonk that I've had trouble figuring when it needed it. I've tasted burning on two 2.0 ohm atty's so far, & only have 2.5ohm attys left. Will these work alright until I can order more LR ones?

In terms of health, lungs, etc, the disposable ecigs I was using before (100% vg, blu's) felt really light on my lungs, not so with the Reo. They're feeling really heavy/full after a day of vaping the mini, is this likely to be the mod itself, my choice in atty, the juice I'm using (HHV mocha java 70/30 vg/pg sample), etc? Anyone else had this experience?

This is my first mod & first non-disposable ecig (went straight for the big gun), so I'm sure I have a few weeks of learning to do.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I generallly use around 2 ohm attys, but the 2.5's will work, albeit a bit cooler.

There's a learning curve to knowing when to squonk. Mostly, you'll notice a *slight* decrease in vapor, or a *slight* change in taste letting you know it's time to re-squonk. I usually get around 3-6 vapes per squonk, but it depends a lot on your own vaping style.

I can't really help with the health aspect, but my guess is that you're used to the weak vapor produced by the disposable cigs (I started with those as well). It's also possible you're reacting to the PG, some of us can't handle it and vape pure VG (Me? I use a 70/30 PG/VG mix).

No comment on the juice you're using, I vape unflavored, and I find the attys last much longer without flavoring (which I honestly don't miss at all). Apparently, the flavorings are a major culprit when it comes to clogging up the coils. That said, they will clog eventually anyway, but I get around 2-4 weeks per atty.

Hope that helps :)

garyinco

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2010
CO, USA
Hello fellow CO'r.

When you first taste that burned taste, that's the time to give a squonk. Start off small. Don't pump. Practice makes perfect... If an atty retains a burned taste after that - clean it, don't pitch it (vodka, an ultrasonic cleaner, etc) there are lots of threads on cleaning them. Don't throw them away until you do some research.

The Reo is an efficient little machine. It is delivering way more than what you got with the disposables. So, yes, I've had that experience. I'm rediscovering that again with the rebuildable atomizers. Less nicotine, which I need to do, means I'm one step closer to where I want to go.

After I had my first Reo for awhile I found a new juice I liked at first try. I vaped so much of it I got loopy and had to go to bed. And that was on a Saturday morning. You may have also over-done it after acquiring a new mod. Especially your first one. You may find you like the 2.5ohm ones best. I'm not a big LR guy.

Welcome to the elite class :)

beckyblue

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
Los Angeles
Oh, wow...I get to lead the welcome wagon?
0_welcomewagon.jpg
You are SO smart saving so much money by heading for the best first:toast:! I promise you will love your Reo, COski. There is a brief learning to squonking, but you'll get a feel for it. But let's see.

Have you been chain-vaping more than you were with your Blu's? It is very tempting to do so with a new (and, okay, a not so new;)) Reo. Nothing about the mod's build would otherwise add to that heaviness in the lungs. If you were fine with %100 vg before, try some juices with that same blend; and, in general, try some different juices than the ones that are giving you trouble. Also try some unflavored juice, as a few flavorings have not sat that well with me.

How long have you been vaping the disposables? There's loads of info in the New Members Forum about some side-effects from detoxing off of analogs and about what to expect during the transition New Members Information.

You can absolutely use the SR atty on you mod until you get some more LR ones, but have you tried cleaning the ones you've used? There's plenty of instruction on that here and on youbube. Since you're looking, perhaps, for a lighter draw, maybe you'll actually appreciate the 2.5s. The Cisco LR 306 ohm attys have been my personal favorites.

But what'll be great to try on that Mini for a closer experience to what you're used to, but I'll bet much better, are the single-coil 1.7 ohm mini cartos. You can get them at a great price right on the Reos Mods website http://www.reosmods.com/index.php?p...category_id=20&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3. They're still one of my go-to's to this day - a super easy, very forgiving way to practice your squonking, and surprisingly satisfying, to boot:).

Lots of others will come along to help you (some probably have while I'm typing all this:laugh:), as this is the friendliest group on the entire forum; but many of your fellow squonkers are asleep now. Rest assured that you will NOT regret this purchase; but almost certainly you'll want another Reo. So don't say I didn't warn you;).

Ask us anything at all, as we're eager to help 'til you find that right draw and vape for you. And, again, welcome to the tribe:toast:!

Last edited:

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
Atties unlike cartos are very forgiving about a little burning. What type of Atties are you using ? I don't want to complicate things too much for you but if you can see the white wick (fibrous stuff) it can be removed. Easiest on 306's when removed you can pretty much eliminate any burning issue. Welcome to Reo ownership. :)

Last edited:

swamijivan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Sunny Italy (South!)
I just picked up a Reo Mini 2.1. Loving the build quality, but I have some work to do on the vaping. I've prefilled the atty's plenty, but it runs so long without a squonk that I've had trouble figuring when it needed it. I've tasted burning on two 2.0 ohm atty's so far, & only have 2.5ohm attys left. Will these work alright until I can order more LR ones?

In terms of health, lungs, etc, the disposable ecigs I was using before (100% vg, blu's) felt really light on my lungs, not so with the Reo. They're feeling really heavy/full after a day of vaping the mini, is this likely to be the mod itself, my choice in atty, the juice I'm using (HHV mocha java 70/30 vg/pg sample), etc? Anyone else had this experience?

This is my first mod & first non-disposable ecig (went straight for the big gun), so I'm sure I have a few weeks of learning to do.
Do you tried to lower your nic? From a Reo you can have so much hit compared to a disposable (and also to many tube PV) that you don't need so much nic in your juice.
With a RBA I have reached 50% less nic concentration immediately, without any vape satisfaction change; so if you started with a "BIG GUN" IMHO you have to buy also the best BULLETS for it (a Reomizer to start will be ok, an Era better and 357Magnum will be a Chalice!))
My :2c:

COski

Feb 21, 2013
CO
Hey all.

Thanks for the advice. I was definitely chain-vaping in the beginning. My biggest issue was drawing too hard. Since slowing down my draw and getting my squonking technique down, its been working great.

The 1.7 ohm smoktech cart's were a fantastic suggestion. IMHO, the carts have a smoother, more consistent vape and with the lower ohm rating the vapor feels less 'wet'. The flavor is a bit more subdued, which for me is a plus.

I have 2.0ohm Boge's with the cotton filler on the way, as well as some 100% vg organic juice (I'm a bit of a sucker for things organic, low-impact, sustainable, free from potential contaminants, etc. Also what drew me to the REO: less waste, modular, long-lasting, made by a true craftsman & small businessman (go Rob!), etc.).

I'm still getting a little more sinus & lung irritation than I was hoping. We'll see shortly if its the PG, flavorings, etc. If the flavored 100% VG doesn't do the trick, I'll try some non-flavored juice. I have some other health issues happening, so it could be partially related to that.

I'm currently at 11-12 mg/ml and its working great. I like the idea of the RBA's, but not sure I'm quite there yet. The carts provide such an smooth, enjoyable vape that I think I'll hold off for a while.

Anyone know what the filler is in the 1.7o Smoktech's? Poly-fill?

Ya'll are awesome. Friendliest board I've been on.

ReoMini2.1.jpg

Last edited:

COski

Feb 21, 2013
CO
Definitely interesting research. I work in this area (clinical research), so I'll look into it much more. On an anecdotal level, it does seem that some people are sensitive to inhaled PG, alcohol & certain flavorings. I'm just curious whether I may be one of those folks.

I tried a 50/50 mix and really had trouble with it. It may just be what others call TH, but for me its definitely in my lungs not throat. The 70/30 vg/pg is better, especially with the carts rather than atty's. Its still a bit tough to inhale though, especially compared to the 100%vg blue disposables I started with.

I'm really happy that my dog & wife don't have to inhale my second hand smoke anymore. That's for damn sure.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Definitely interesting research. I work in this area (clinical research), so I'll look into it much more. On an anecdotal level, it does seem that some people are sensitive to inhaled PG, alcohol & certain flavorings. I'm just curious whether I may be one of those folks.

I tried a 50/50 mix and really had trouble with it. It may just be what others call TH, but for me its definitely in my lungs not throat. The 70/30 vg/pg is better, especially with the carts rather than atty's. Its still a bit tough to inhale though, especially compared to the 100%vg blue disposables I started with.

I'm really happy that my dog & wife don't have to inhale my second hand smoke anymore. That's for damn sure.

Is my normal ordering ratio but for no other reason other than I like that mix.

swamijivan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Sunny Italy (South!)

I used to go outside (also in wintertime..) to smoke... Now I can play with my 5 y old child, making train puffs of vape for him! Amazing playing stuff those Reos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread