New Study on Tocix Compounds (has anyone the full study?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I am discussing this on various forums. THIS has been making the rounds in news etc. in the recent days:

Why toxic compound emissions vary in e-cigarettes

The study is at

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.est.6b01741

But they want $40 for the "full" report.

I'd like to see the actual, full report since the report/abstract and the news citing the study are confusing and missing important details.

The study mentions how the amount of formaldehydes and other aldehydes etc. increases "with Volts" which is totally useless and actually "unscientific" since without the ohms mentioned and the actual devices they tested, volts doesn't mean anything!

It's clear and not exactly a secret that higher coil temps vapes more liquids, and also more aldehydes. It's also clear that gunked coils are releasing more dehydes. But the study doesn't mention measured coil temps and it's also not clear whether the statistics used, eg. for the max. amount of formaldehydes was measured using gunked/burned coils.

There is also a statistic/bars about the aldehydes emitted, but to me its totally useless since I don't know what a "tolerable" or normal/low level would be as compared to a high level of aldehydes.

** What irks me now is that there are discussions going on in forums etc. where people use the report to "prove that vaping is harmful"....but given how incomplete the study is...it doesn't help me in the slightest to either agree with them or prove them wrong. For example it may well be that subohm-devices and vaping at a certain Voltage at HIGH watts etc. releases a lot more aldehydes (due to coil temps) than, say, someone vaping at 15W.

One such study (not sure whether it's this one) also mentioned curiously how the amount of aldehydes measured was "significantly less" on dual coil devices....which I consider extremely interesting. I would want to know why.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
...One such study (not sure whether it's this one) also mentioned curiously how the amount of aldehydes measured was "significantly less" on dual coil devices....which I consider extremely interesting. I would want to know why.

At a given wattage, 2 coils will run lower temperature than one.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I am discussing this on various forums. THIS has been making the rounds in news etc. in the recent days:

Why toxic compound emissions vary in e-cigarettes

The study is at

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.est.6b01741

But they want $40 for the "full" report.

I'd like to see the actual, full report since the report/abstract and the news citing the study are confusing and missing important details.

The study mentions how the amount of formaldehydes and other aldehydes etc. increases "with Volts" which is totally useless and actually "unscientific" since without the ohms mentioned and the actual devices they tested, volts doesn't mean anything!

It's clear and not exactly a secret that higher coil temps vapes more liquids, and also more aldehydes. It's also clear that gunked coils are releasing more dehydes. But the study doesn't mention measured coil temps and it's also not clear whether the statistics used, eg. for the max. amount of formaldehydes was measured using gunked/burned coils.

There is also a statistic/bars about the aldehydes emitted, but to me its totally useless since I don't know what a "tolerable" or normal/low level would be as compared to a high level of aldehydes.

** What irks me now is that there are discussions going on in forums etc. where people use the report to "prove that vaping is harmful"....but given how incomplete the study is...it doesn't help me in the slightest to either agree with them or prove them wrong. For example it may well be that subohm-devices and vaping at a certain Voltage at HIGH watts etc. releases a lot more aldehydes (due to coil temps) than, say, someone vaping at 15W.

One such study (not sure whether it's this one) also mentioned curiously how the amount of aldehydes measured was "significantly less" on dual coil devices....which I consider extremely interesting. I would want to know why.
May be Dr F will comment on this one. I'll ignore it until he does.

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
PDF of full text can be downloaded here.

The study is interesting because it measures "steady state" emissions .Unlike other studies that measure substances like acrolein, formaldehyde etc emissions during first few puffs this steady measures both initial and at use emissions. As noted by others higher Air flow reduces some emissions and lesser voltage (For a given device) causes lesser emissions.

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
It's a variation on the "burn a clearomizer with inappropriate voltage levels and you get harmful compounds" school of junk science.
They mentioned ethanol, acetol, and propylene oxide as principal constituents of e-liquid. Since when?

Eliquids do have some ethonal, AFAIK. Acetol is in trace quantities probably from flavors.Not sure about the third one.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas

Doublestemcell

Moved On
Oct 10, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1