New Stuff for Old Farts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
As I was piddlin' with the FireTV, I couldn't help but notice YouTubeTV is available through Amazon.
Mamaw gets her local channels, and her murder mysteries, and I get my sports for less than half of what DirectTV was gouging me for.

Will look into that. Thanks for the info.
That's good news. YouTubeTV is really good.
And you confused me about the firestick. If you are already paying for Prime, Amazon TV comes with it...lots of good movies..music, etc...originals are good, too. And the firestick is cheap. :)

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I guess I am impulsive. Like, for instance, social media. Won't touch it.
Consensus just not a favorite source of mine. Cabbage Patch dolls were ugly, minivans were too.
Consumer Reports, Tom's Guide, etc. work better for me. And if something is marked down in price (like $100 less) then that really works for me. So thanks for the ideas.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sorry guys. Not enuf coffee and too many early meds.

No problem. Some of the "comparison" sites I gathered up rate the TCL Roku TV's fairly highly, and the "4 Series" is just a basic 4K "old fart" kinda of device. Great picture, not too many 'bells and whistles'. And with one on sale, I jumped.
Next is these Cell Phone Carriers. If @Bronze comes back maybe I can ask about those MV-whatevers he mentioned....

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
No problem. Some of the "comparison" sites I gathered up rate the TCL Roku TV's fairly highly, and the "4 Series" is just a basic 4K "old fart" kinda of device. Great picture, not too many 'bells and whistles'. And with one on sale, I jumped.
Next is these Cell Phone Carriers. If @Bronze comes back maybe I can ask about those MV-whatevers he mentioned....
You have Spectrum internet, correct?

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Then start online by looking at Spectrum Mobile. They are an MVNO that uses the Verizon grid. I honestly do not think you will find a better plan using the Verizon grid. Again, make sure Verizon gives you a good connection. I'm assuming it does because it does here and I know Verizon is strong in the Carolinas. But make sure you are happy with the Verizon grid first because no plan is good if you get crappy reception. As long as you are a Spectrum customer (cable, internet, or digital phone) then you qualify for their cell plans.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Then start online by looking at Spectrum Mobile. They are an MVNO that uses the Verizon grid. I honestly do not think you will find a better plan using the Verizon grid. Again, make sure Verizon gives you a good connection. I'm assuming it does because it does here and I know Verizon is strong in the Carolinas. But make sure you are happy with the Verizon grid first because no plan is good if you get crappy reception. As long as you are a Spectrum customer (cable, internet, or digital phone) then you qualify for their cell plans.

Thanks. I will look into that.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Thanks. I will look into that.
I hopped on Spectrum Mobile 2.5-3.0 years ago when they just started out. Back then, they required that you buy their cellphones. (Apple, Android, or LG). Was no problem for me cuz we were using I4's and needed new phones anyway. Additionally, their prices for phones were the same as everyone else (no gouging) and allowed us to pay them off over 24 months interest free. I jumped on that. But I think they no longer require you to buy their phones. I think you can use yours or maybe you can still buy phones from them with favorable terms if you need them. So check on using your own phone with them for compatibility with their plans (not my bailiwick). You can get unlimited data plans and also "By the Gig". We have by the gig here cuz we just don't live on our phones away from our wifi.

Reactions: FranC

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I hopped on Spectrum Mobile 2.5-3.0 years ago when they just started out. Back then, they required that you buy their cellphones. (Apple, Android, or LG). Was no problem for me cuz we were using I4's and needed new phones anyway. Additionally, their prices for phones were the same as everyone else (no gouging) and allowed us to pay them off over 24 months interest free. I jumped on that. But I think they no longer require you to buy their phones. I think you can use yours or maybe you can still buy phones from them with favorable terms if you need them. So check on using your own phone with them for compatibility with their plans (not my bailiwick). You can get unlimited data plans and also "By the Gig". We have by the gig here cuz we just don't live on our phones away from our wifi.

Ms CMD and I have a 2 Gig data plan with Verizon. That 2 Gig is sufficient for my infrequent mobile email and calendar checks as well as an occasional "Here We Go" map app - I avoid Google, Fake Book, Twitter and Mr Bezos to the degree that it is possible.
I am looking into one of the General's MV whatever's, also.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
@PapawBrett

I have a DSL with a top speed of 5.5Mbps (no where near 2 or 5 G). It is used with a Roku and has very very little buffering - most nights none at all. Something is not right, probably with your provider.

Our old Firestick was years old, and set up by our son.
Basically, he set us up pirate websites that were not "properly registered". Somebody recording with a cell phone in a theatre, then downloading onto one of these websites. Free, and cheap.
But poorly designed and operated websites don't stream well. So we are going legit this time, and there are no more buffering issues.

cats5365

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2013
United States
It's an Android, so I really don't understand the issue.

There are a couple of different "ways" to access the phone networks with the android phones. I use ATT's "go phone" service with the SIM card in my phones. I think Verizon and some of the others used a different system that isn't compatible with the SIM system. I can't remember the exact letters, but it was like CDMA or something.

Did the phone store say why you can't use your phone on their service?

Editing to add: Is your phone unlocked? Sometimes your phone will be locked to a carrier if you bought it from the carrier's store. Sometimes you can get them to unlock your phone, but not always. If you get an unlocked phone you shouldn't have an issue as long as yours has the right system on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread