New Stuff for Old Farts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
PPB, I cut the cord. So internet-cord-only. ;)
Comcost, not Spectrum, so YMMV.

I use an antenna for local stuff, and then a Roku for streaming. Also desktop (PC has a old card that can do antenna inputs and record on a schedule, think antenna DVR).

The various "with-some-cable-channel-bundle" services (GoogleTV, Hulu +Live, Philo, Sling, etc) will have syndicated cable trials for a week and sometimes a month, either free or for a nominal cost that you can try them out for. As has been mentioned, Spectrum may already have a decent bundle available to you.

Antennas are important for local channels if you want to get them for free. This guy is fun to watch, and has good advice:
https://www.youtube.com/c/AntennaMan/videos

All in all you're probably looking at ~100-150 bucks to DIY install a basic completely new antenna setup if you need one, with an amplifier if you need one (depends on run distance and splits). If you have an existing pole and wiring, even cheaper. And be aware that will let you receive the new NextGen TV (but you'll need a new TV to decode it).

The bundles with locals will add to your monthly costs quite quickly. After a year or two of antenna, you can get a new TV for the costs you would have paid for locals to someone else. So YMMV. But if you want cable networks, you can subscribe individually in many cases, or you end up getting a bundle. Philo was the lowest cost version, but no sports, IIRC, but you can often get those on local antenna for your local teams.

It's all up to you. There's quite a bit of stuff on the free-streaming (with ads) type of channels (like I said I use Roku).

:2c:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
PPB, I cut the cord. So internet-cord-only. ;)
Comcost, not Spectrum, so YMMV.

I use an antenna for local stuff, and then a Roku for streaming. Also desktop (PC has a old card that can do antenna inputs and record on a schedule, think antenna DVR).

The various "with-some-cable-channel-bundle" services (GoogleTV, Hulu +Live, Philo, Sling, etc) will have syndicated cable trials for a week and sometimes a month, either free or for a nominal cost that you can try them out for. As has been mentioned, Spectrum may already have a decent bundle available to you.

Antennas are important for local channels if you want to get them for free. This guy is fun to watch, and has good advice:
https://www.youtube.com/c/AntennaMan/videos

All in all you're probably looking at ~100-150 bucks to DIY install a basic completely new antenna setup if you need one, with an amplifier if you need one (depends on run distance and splits). If you have an existing pole and wiring, even cheaper. And be aware that will let you receive the new NextGen TV (but you'll need a new TV to decode it).

The bundles with locals will add to your monthly costs quite quickly. After a year or two of antenna, you can get a new TV for the costs you would have paid for locals to someone else. So YMMV. But if you want cable networks, you can subscribe individually in many cases, or you end up getting a bundle. Philo was the lowest cost version, but no sports, IIRC, but you can often get those on local antenna for your local teams.

It's all up to you. There's quite a bit of stuff on the free-streaming (with ads) type of channels (like I said I use Roku).

:2c:

Hello, Atty. I am very satisfied with Spectrum 5G home internet, add Hulu + live TV and it's still $150/ month total. Direct TV alone was $190 ($60 a month more during NFL season), so saving $120 - $180 a month so far.
Mamaw is adjusting to Hulu, as the Dish ended yesterday. Post office later today to send this stuff back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread