New to diy and already getting discouraged... Please help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChasG

Dec 10, 2010
Sioux Falls, SD
I originally posted this in the New Member's column. Got a few tips but more is better. I really need some pointers on DIY

I just started DIY because I love strong flavors and I wanted to make my own so I can control the flavor. However, I'm really frustrated due to the fact that I've tried a few different variations of my favorite "cola" vape using FA Cola and I don't taste any flavor at all. I've read that steeping is supposed to help but it seems that with the first vape after mixing, it doesn't seem like steeping would help at all. Here are a couple of recipes I've used. I used the online e-liquid calculator e-Liquid Calculator I found here. For these I also used either 60mg VG Nic or 60mg PG Nic from Voidmist. PG and VG bases are from One Stop DIY Shop

I like Thicker vape so for this one I thought I'd use more VG along with MTS Vape Wizard for more vapor. Also added Koolada from TPA for this for the cold feeling of the vape

18mg 60pg\40vg cola:

60mg VG Nic 30%
PG Base 53.3%
VG Base 9.7%
FA Cola 5%
MTS VW 1%
TPA Koolada 1% no flavor on 1st vape, and still no flavor after 2 days of steeping

Then, I figured I'd try more PG and more flavor with no Koolada on this recipe:

18mg 80pg\20vg

60mg PG Nic 30%
PG Base 33.3%
VG Base 19.7%
FA Cola 15%
MTS VW 2%

same thing on this one... No flavor on first vape after mixing. haven't tried stteping on it yet

I really want to be able to do this and vape my own mixes. Any suggestions?​

silkakc

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2010
Canandaigua, NY
Chas,

I just made Cola juice today for the first time! I got my perfumer's Apprentice order in yesterday and mixed up 2 ml sizes in every flavor.

Okay- the Perfumer's Apprentice "Cola" is outstanding. It smells and vapes like Pepsi- yay! Not Coca Cola flavored- no spiciness to it.

MY DIY method is a lil odd. I mix up a big 60 ml bottle of 15mg Nic juice and use that as "my stock" for 3-4 weeks. I make it by mixing 1 Tbs of 60mg Nicotine and 3 Tbs of pure VG. I pour that into little 6 ml bottles. I then add flavoring to those bottles. For my 2ml samples, I used 5 drops of Cola flavoring. The flavor was moderate- not weak or strong. That would make the flavoring about 10% of the total. Some ppl go as high as 30% with their flavorings so don't be shy about adding more and testing it. That's why most of us make tiny samples at first! Sometimes you go too strong and have to throw it out:)

I tasted my Cola flavor as soon as I made it. I shook it and vaped. Maybe try PA's Cola flavor and see if you like it better? I have never tried FA's Cola so I don't know how it is. Some flavorings are just *weak* I've found. Most of us buy flavorings from several vendors because we like "this" at the one place and "that" at the other place:) Perfumer's Apprentice has EXCELLENT prices too on their 4 ml samples - $1.40-$2.00. I highly recommend their "Plum" flavor that reminds me of Dr. Pepper and their "Toasted Marshmallow". If you like Irish Cream flavor, FA's Irish Cream is out of this world! It tastes like Baileys mixed with Hot Cocoa:) If you like Rootbeer flavor, Vapor Renu's Rootbeer Float is delicious and ungodly strong!

Good luck!
Lori

ChasG

Dec 10, 2010
Sioux Falls, SD
Thanks silkakc. I actually first tried cola from pa and it does have a good cola flavor. I ended up getting some fa because alot of people say their flavor is much more concentrated so i figured it would cut down on the cost since i wouldn't have to use most of it. I also thought from comparing just the smell from both that the fa cola seemed better. just my opinion. with that being said... since people were saying fa is very concentrated, i just figure i'm mixing my juice wrong since i dont get much flavor out of it.

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
I'll be direct:

Using MTS on a sweet juice is a mistake. It will completely muddle the flavor. You should only use MTS to "fix" an especially dry or tart tobacco juice. Contrary to the description, it will not add vapor - only increasing your VG content will do that (which you've done).

For FA Cola, I recommend starting at about 10%. Use nothing but the flavor and the base to start - small batch. If it's not to your liking, add or remove flavor or sweetener - whatever your gut is telling you to do.

I firmly believe it's the MTS that's hurting your mixes. Take your time, be patient. Once you get your first mix right, it's all gravy.

bliss56

Jan 29, 2011
w. mass
When I started DYI I was very discouraged because like you my juices didn't have much flavor when using the percentage of flavors that was in the recipes. (I use VG) If you find that you still have a problem after removing the MTS from your recipe than add a much higher flavor percentage. I was shocked at how much flavoring I had to add to get my juice to taste good but once I stopped being afraid to increase the % I started making awesome juices.

bliss56

Jan 29, 2011
w. mass
My common sense tells me the same thing. I test my juice before adding the nic only to get an idea of whether I'm in the general ballpark when using 2 or more flavors together. When using just one, I don't bother holding off using the nic unless I'm trying a flavor that I'm not sure I'll like because once I bought a Gummi Bear flavor and it didn't matter how much or how little of the flavor that I used, it still came out awful and I had to toss the batch with the nic in it. Luckily I always make a small batch to test so I only had to throw out 3ml.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread