The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

New to DIY

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Mimi25, Jul 14, 2018.

Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Mimi25

Mimi25 Senior Member

May 29, 2018
    I did my first batch of DIY. Fingers crossed please.

• Like Like x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Possum64

Possum64 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 25, 2017
    Brisbane, Australia
    Fingers crossed @Mimi25! So what did you make.....?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Anise

Anise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Got my fingers crossed. How long are you going to steep it before you try it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    [​IMG]

BTW - I would Always taste test a New Recipe immediately after mixing it. Makes some notes about it. And then put it away to "Steep".

If you Don't know how much the Flavor Changes by steeping, then you really Don't Know how long a Mix should steep before using?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. BrotherBob

BrotherBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2014
    Sunnyvale,CA,USA
    Suggest you shake it at least once or twice each week and make your final decision in week 4-5.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Mimi25

Mimi25 Senior Member

May 29, 2018
    I got a lot of flavor shots from Verde Valley Vapes. I mixed blackberry cream, chocolate donut, cherry cheesecake, raspberry custard, peaches and cream, strawberry donut, raspberry custard and raspberry donut. I wanted to perfect my pg/vg nicotine blend before I work on flavoring. PS. I found my old ashtray under a Bush today

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mimi25

Mimi25 Senior Member

May 29, 2018
    I don’t know. I want to try now but I guess two weeks. That’s what I do with store bought All passed the smell test. Wish me luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mimi25

Mimi25 Senior Member

May 29, 2018
    Good advice. I guess will try tomorrow. Did you ever fail straight out the gate? I would be ok if one or two are good. I cook meals all the time. This is just new to me.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mimi25

Mimi25 Senior Member

May 29, 2018
    Well, I plan to learn to build coils next. Pray for me.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. DeloresRose

DeloresRose Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Apr 25, 2014
    toledo ohio
    I guess it depends how you define fail. There are some flavors that I just do not like or cannot taste. And I know when I test them, but I can’t tell just from smelling the flavor beforehand. So you can call that a fail. Otherwise, I do over flavor sometimes. So that’s me failing.

Honestly I throw more ruined meals away because my cooking fails lol. Every juice I make is not my favorite though, so I only repeat the really stellar ones.

I do suggest learning to build and getting a RDA. Taste your mixes with it. I taste mine as soon as I shake them. Most of mine do benefit from steeping, but don’t take that too seriously. Juice is like fruit, especially bananas, where the flavor changes over time. No two people like them at exactly the same ripeness, and you need to know all the changes they make from start to finish to know where it tastes best to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Yeah... I have done some New Recipes that just weren't Vapable. But those were they Exceptions. And Most of what I have done were at least Expectable.

Now that is not to say that Many weren't Improvable by Adding More of this or Less of that.

You can tend to get Kinda Picky when you have a Drawer full of Flavorings. And something like a Fruit Punch that would have been Fine if you bought it Retail as a Non-DIYer, you now view as something that Needs a Tad more Mango and a Tad Less Pineapple.

The Long and the Short of it is if you Taste Test you New Recipes when they are Freshly Mixed. And then Test them again at say 5, 10, 15, 30 Days, if there is No Real change in taste after 10 Days, then you don't need to let something sit around for longer than 10 Days before using.

You also Learn how Some Flavors seem to get Stronger and More Vibrant with a little Time. And other Flavors tend to Mellow and Smooth out.

Something that is Very Handy to know when doing DIY.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    For me as a newbie to diy - half the fun is the trial and error stage ;)

I have some mixes I don't like - but if I hadn't tried them out, then I wouldn't know what flavour profiles I do like. Plus I plan to tweak them later when I have a bit more experience.

The main cost in diy is the initial setup - once you have the basics, replenishing supplies is pretty cheap. I love the fact I can try different recipes and flavours - yet it's only costing me in time and a few dollars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Good luck! The key is taking good notes and I'm glad that right out of the gate, you are allowing things to steep a decent amount of time before tasting (or trying some speed up method etc.) they can seem to be of use for some folks, but I prefer time and the occasional agitation, it's more fool proof.

Also, if you get FAILS, do what you can to try and fix them before tossing them. I did that with all of mine and I've learned more from fixing failed mixes than my successes, honestly. There was only one that I couldn't improve, Chocolate milk it was vomitous. IDK what I was even thinking, because I don't even LIKE chocolate milk that much. That one I tossed, but I have yet to find something I couldn't improve to decent, whether it be vial dilution, adding something, all sorts of things, etc.

Good luck. I find DIY MUCH easier than coilbuilding but I have a fine motor tremor. It was a slow start, but I have tons of RTAs and an RBA that I can coil and fix effectively. The rebuildable forum was a really big help there.

Keep on going! It's fun!

Anna

14. Mimi25

Mimi25 Senior Member

May 29, 2018
    I know what you mean. I have attempted to make fajitas many times and failed. According to my family, I got it right tonight. I don’t know why I expect to get juice perfect on first try.

I do have everything I need to start building. Just need a little quiet time to work on it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Mimi25

Mimi25 Senior Member

May 29, 2018
    Thank you. I plan to try them soon. That’s good to know about steeping time.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mimi25

Mimi25 Senior Member

May 29, 2018
    That’s a good way to look at it. I have bought juice that I hated. At least now if I don’t like something it didn’t cost me 20.00 to find out. We don’t have tasting where I live so I buy based on reviews. Nope. Doesn’t work.

• Like Like x 1