Status
Not open for further replies.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
My wife and I have been wanting to get off the 'analog' cigarettes for some time now, and she just got her first e cig - a Blu. I was not real impressed by the amount of vapor and throat hit and after reading many posts, have decided that a mod and dripping would be the way to go for me.
Now since I a newbie, and can't post elsewhere, I'm not expecting a lot of responses from the 'pros' out there, but - what is the best size atomizer for dripping? 510, 801, 901...
I believe that I have the skills to build my own, and am looking to make an adjustable voltage mod.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The best atomizer is a matter of personal preference.

What you want to do is find the sweet spot that works for you.
That would be the combination of voltage and resistance (ohms) of the atomizer.

You can go with low resistance atomizers, standard atomizers, and high resistance atomizers.
And you can pair those with various voltages.

Trial and error are really the only way to find out.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
Hmmm, don't know much about adjustable voltage. I've been using a 3.7 V Icon with LR 510 Atty for about 6 months. MadVapes is currently my go to for 510 LR. In the past week, I've discovered the "Cisco 306 LR." Wish I'd found it 6 months ago.

Glad to see you stepping up to the mod so young, you will not regret it.

Oh yeh, dripping is also my preferred method. If you decide to start with 510, I highly recommend a "Wide Mouth" drip tip from Super T Manufacturing. I don't think anyone will argue on that one.

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Welcome to ECF!

WOW jumping from a blu to a mod is from a bicycle to a corvette.
If you search around on the forum, there are instructions for building
mods, with pictures, and parts lists.

Regarding the atty for your mod (built or purchased) there is no easy
answer. The atty will have a large effect on the vapor and TH.
(and wait for it !! :laugh:) everybody has their own personal preference.
Myself, I like the 510 atty when I'm out and about (use carts and cartos
for simplicity and portability) and a 801 on a pass thru at home and drip more.

If you build your own mod (congrats in advance) you can buy one of
each atty adapter and see what you like, may be different for you and
your wife.

p.s. there is a MODs section on the forum, worth checking out.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Welcome to ECF!

If you build your own mod (congrats in advance) you can buy one of
each atty adapter and see what you like, may be different for you and
your wife.

p.s. there is a MODs section on the forum, worth checking out.

Thanks, Stosh. I was considering doing the adapter thing you suggested after searching a few of the online retailers and seeing the various battery and atomizer adapters available. Maybe buy one of each size (and an 501 LR atty) just to see what works for me. Going the variable voltage route on my mod will certainly make the choice more difficult, but in the long run I think I'll find something that clicks. And besides I can pretty much use any atty out there.

rogerdugans

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
A house in the US
As another member fairly new to vaping that has tried some of the "normal" devices and found them lacking the punch I need- getting a Mod sooner rather than later is not a bad idea.

And after the research I've done- the 510s are the single most commonly used atty/cartos for mods. Yes, adapters mean you CAN use anything, but simplicity has its virtues.

Dripping alone isn't enough for me either, but due to the lack of desire to get into a new hobby (I have enough already) I simply bought a device.
If I was going to make my own I would definitely base it around 510 components.

cskent

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Ohio
If you're interested in building a basic mod check out this kit Madvapes Box-Mod-Kit. I've got a couple of them and they're good little vape machines. You can get a complete setup for around $30. $8.50 for the kit, $8.60 for a pair of 900mah batteries, $4.99 for a charger, $7.00 for an atomizer, and a couple bux for cart's or a drip tip. The kit comes with a 510 connector but if you want another threading just spend another $2 and you can put whatever kind on it you want. It might be a way to get your hands dirty before attempting something more complex. And, you'll have a backup PV if you build something else down the road.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Hmmm, don't know much about adjustable voltage. I've been using a 3.7 V Icon with LR 510 Atty for about 6 months. MadVapes is currently my go to for 510 LR. In the past week, I've discovered the "Cisco 306 LR." Wish I'd found it 6 months ago.

Glad to see you stepping up to the mod so young, you will not regret it.

Oh yeh, dripping is also my preferred method. If you decide to start with 510, I highly recommend a "Wide Mouth" drip tip from Super T Manufacturing. I don't think anyone will argue on that one.

My love at first sight was one of Super T's Precise Models - then I saw their upcoming Shockwave, wow! A bit on the expensive side though, I'll bet! Their drip tip certainly looks like the way I will go, if not the mod itself.

The mod I'm going to attempt to build will use a Maglight type flashlight with two 14500 batts and an adjustable voltage regulator in which I will be able to use either regular attys or the LR types, and I'll be able to dial-in the voltage to get just the right balance.
I waiting on the voltage regulator to come so I can do some preliminary tests before I attempt the build.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
IMO building it as a 510 is probably your best bet the atty's are pretty good and adaptors to go from 510 to just about every other style are plentiful.

I tend to agree with you on the 510, as most of the mods I've seen have been built around this atty... and the use of adapters will allow me to find what I like best. (Besides that, I would rather have the atomizer connector recessed at the end and the 510 appears to be one of the only attys that have male threads.)

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
It might be a way to get your hands dirty before attempting something more complex. And, you'll have a backup PV if you build something else down the road.

Good point, cskent. I was going to go for a Super T from the get-go, but an inexpensive start may be the best way, thanks.

Skyway

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2009
NC - USA
www.bsvoboda.com
If you want a quality made ready out of the box mod, the puresmoker v3 is an awesome choice. The GGTS from Vaporkings looks very interesting also especially with all the little modifications you can do to it afterwords. I get awesome vapor from my V3.1 and th is there if you want it. I use an 801 but I am toying with some ideas for either 510 or 808 cartomizers. I went from starting e-cigs about a year ago then stopping then coming back a couple of months ago and I moved to a mod in a very short period of time due to wanting more vapor.

pianoguy

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2009
Apple Valley, MN
I have a REO Mini and a REO Grand (from reosmods.com - he also has a couple of threads going in the E-Cigarette Suppliers forum). He (Robert) is going to have a batch of Mini's available soon. The REO's are fantastic devices, all mechanical, built like a tank. Check out the videos on his site, as well as feedback in the Reviews section here. For example, here is an in-depth review of the Grand from today:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/video-reviews/139680-grand-pv-reomods-com-redeyedancer.html

My wife and I have been wanting to get off the 'analog' cigarettes for some time now, and she just got her first e cig - a Blu. I was not real impressed by the amount of vapor and throat hit and after reading many posts, have decided that a mod and dripping would be the way to go for me.
Now since I a newbie, and can't post elsewhere, I'm not expecting a lot of responses from the 'pros' out there, but - what is the best size atomizer for dripping? 510, 801, 901...
I believe that I have the skills to build my own, and am looking to make an adjustable voltage mod.

510 can be adapted to all other attys.
Don't pay more than $3 - $4 for adapters. Some companies charge $15-20+ for them (B.S.)
You'll probably want Low Resistance (1.5 ohm), Standard (2.5+ Ohm) and High Voltage (4.5-4.7 ohm) atty's if you are going to have an adjustable voltage mod.
LR works well for 3.7 volt mods.
Standard works well from 3.7 to 5 volts.
High Voltage atties work best at 6 volts and the ocassional 7+v mods.
I've been using standard atty's with 6 volts (Black Silver Bullet) most of my e juice performs well at 6.
Some do not so that is why you need different atties at different voltages for different e juices.

rogerdugans

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
A house in the US
The GGTS from Vaporkings looks very interesting also especially with all the little modifications you can do to it afterwords.

It is very interesting and has very impressive performance as well.
Ordered one after a few weeks of cartos and carts (E9 the DSE801) and even dripping proved the while vaping was good, I needed something far better than what I had been using.
Now I am waiting for a second one to be able to rotate them in and out of service for maintenance and such. And never be unable to vape at will. ;)

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    dsy5, I think you are playing it smart. I started with a 510 kit and instead of rushing out and buying mods, I built a box mod/nicostick. Of course back then you could only get a 510 connector by tearing it out of a battery. This way you can get a feel for what voltage and atty combination you like and go from there. I did buy a few mods after the nicostick but have had the same ones for about a year and don't worry about rushing to try the latest greatest mods when what I have works fine. I wish you the best on your journey.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread