New to ECF and vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truckersteve

Jul 17, 2013
Oklahoma
My name is Steven, and on 7/6/13 I was over at a friends house and I noticed him and his gf were smoking these weird pipe looking things. Naturally I was curious and inquired as to what they were doing and they told me and my wife that they were "vaping". At the time I had no idea what that meant and let it slide from my memory. On 7/12/13 I went to a local cigarette outlet to purchase my regular analog cigs, when my wife noticed they had some vaping stuff behind the counter. We went ahead and sank about $100 into 2 starter kits/juices and the staff there had very little knowledge on the equipment they sold us. That is what led me here, since after trying a few puffs I was curious as to what the equivalency was between the juice and cigs, care and maintenance, etc. Long story short, both my wife and I switched completely to vaping on 7/14/13. I used to smoke around 2-3 packs a day and she smoked 1 pack a day. Neither of us have even wanted an analog cig for 3.5 days now! We have both tried to quit several times now and for once this seems like it works! Not to mention the savings of over $400 per month is awesome as well if we stick to this. I've been browsing the forum for a few days now and I finally signed up. I just wanted to introduce myself to the rest of the community.

phanatic4ever

Verified Member
Aug 14, 2012
Antioch, CA, USA
Come to find out there was a vapor shop literally 1 block from the stinky outlet! Should have gone there first because we found the same equipment for $15 less per kit... Oh we'll too late now! I do have one question for anyone, is a bit of a sore throat normal with vaping?

Welcome to ECF and congrats on the switch!! The sore throat is actually characteristic of stopping smoking as well but it could be from the vaping also. You may want to experiment with a lower nicotine level to see if that helps. Also, your draw for vaping is different than that of an analog. With analogs, most people do "lung hits" where they draw the hit directly into their lungs. With vaping, you want to draw the vapor into your mouth (using a vacuum with your cheeks) like sipping on a milkshake through a straw. After you get a good draw using the vacuum, you can then draw it into your lungs. This might help with the sore throat as well.

Truckersteve

Jul 17, 2013
Oklahoma
Welcome to ECF and congrats on the switch!! The sore throat is actually characteristic of stopping smoking as well but it could be from the vaping also. You may want to experiment with a lower nicotine level to see if that helps. Also, your draw for vaping is different than that of an analog. With analogs, most people do "lung hits" where they draw the hit directly into their lungs. With vaping, you want to draw the vapor into your mouth (using a vacuum with your cheeks) like sipping on a milkshake through a straw. After you get a good draw using the vacuum, you can then draw it into your lungs. This might help with the sore throat as well.

Hmm when I smoked analogs that's how I inhaled anyway, so maybe it's a dehydration issue then, thanks for the suggestion!

Truckersteve

Jul 17, 2013
Oklahoma
Hello and welcome to ECF Truckersteve! I experienced the same little bit of a sore throat when i first started. Went with 16mg nicotine juice, but since i have dropped down to 12mg and has been a lot better. Also be sure that you are drinking plenty of water, that would help you out as well.

I've been using an 18mg juice and was actually thinking of going up since I used to smoke around 50 cigs a day. I find myself puffing nonstop on my PV from time to time.

nruiz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2013
Mi Casa, USA

phanatic4ever

Verified Member
Aug 14, 2012
Antioch, CA, USA

SkuttleBug

May 8, 2013
San Antonio
Hey Steve welcome!! I am as well fairly new to the vaping world too. Sore throat is pretty normal..have seen a lot of comments about it on here. I also expierence them along with headaches, at first all the time. Now its only when I go vaping crazy and don't get enough water in my system. Keeping hydrated is something that you want to do. I also think that it is pretty normal to vape a good portion of the day. From what I have read its slower to get the nicotine in your system vaping than when using analogs. So you have to vape more to get the same effect as a analog. Hope you keep it up....you'll be feeling great in no time.

Truckersteve

Jul 17, 2013
Oklahoma
Welcome and congrats to both of you!! The first week is the toughest as your body still goes through some withdrawals from stopping smoking. As far as saving money, that's tough too. It's good to have backup equipment so you don't go back to smoking.

Great suggestion! My wife and I had considered taking everything we would have spent in a month and "stocking up" but we haven't gotten around to it yet.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
I've been using an 18mg juice and was actually thinking of going up since I used to smoke around 50 cigs a day. I find myself puffing nonstop on my PV from time to time.

Same here, probably smoked 30-40 analogs before. Bought a lot of 24mg juices, and sometimes found myself power-vaping at home or in the car. Just ordered some 48mg juice, including one that promises to taste like Kools, my old brand.

Fresh Methol VG E-Liquid Smoke Juice - My Freedom Smokes

I figure I can always cut it down if its too harsh ...

Truckersteve

Jul 17, 2013
Oklahoma
Welcome and Congratulations to both of you!

If there are any questions please feel free to ask!

Read this when you have a couple of minutes.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that, I've been doing it all wrong! I just tried the "correct" method and I'm actually buzzing a little but from the nicotine. Most likely since I have been getting very little of it for the past few days! Also the juice tastes a LOT better and is more flavorful with this method.

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of that, I've been doing it all wrong! I just tried the "correct" method and I'm actually buzzing a little but from the nicotine. Most likely since I have been getting very little of it for the past few days! Also the juice tastes a LOT better and is more flavorful with this method.
You are most welcome! But as you will find.....

It is very hard to break the old habits and you have to keep at it.
I find myself doing it the old way all the time and trying as time goes by.

Good luck to you and keep in-touch!

Truckersteve

Jul 17, 2013
Oklahoma
You are most welcome! But as you will find.....

It is very hard to break the old habits and you have to keep at it.
I find myself doing it the old way all the time and trying as time goes by.

Good luck to you and keep in-touch!

I'll definitely keep in touch as I can, sometimes I work in excess of 100 hours a week so it may be hard sometimes. My biggest fear is running out of juice/ having equipment failure when I'm working and reverting back to analogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread