New to ECF - sYrinGe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
Welcome aboard.

Being American always amazes me when I see people from other countries. Seem like in the US only 10% of people speak another language. In the rest of the world seems like 10% of the people don't speak another language.

I'll trade you one of the snowy Lake Erie days for one of your warm Philippine days.

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
Welcome aboard.

Being American always amazes me when I see people from other countries. Seem like in the US only 10% of people speak another language. In the rest of the world seems like 10% of the people don't speak another language.

I'll trade you one of the snowy Lake Erie days for one of your warm Philippine days.

Haha, unfortunately, you are absolutely correct. Not many people from the US speak different languages. I just got back from backpacking through Spain for the last 2 months and it was crazy to see how people from other countries speak so many different languages. I speak Spanish, but Im by no means fluent. I met people that spoke 3, 4, 5, 6 different languages.
Many people kind of laughed at Americans because of that. A few people I went with only spoke english, and even the young spanish students were making fun of them. They were probably 10-13yrs old and most of them could already speak english fairly well. Its crazy to see how uncultured we are compared to other countries

Running Wolf

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2011
North East Ohio
I took a year of French and a year of Spanish in high school, can't speak either of them.

I've been to Mexico twice (week each time), I tried to stay away from the tourist areas. I picked up more Spanish in a week than I did in a year of classes.

Also had a friend of mine who's family came over from Italy, family spoke English outside of the house but at home would speak Italian. When you're around a language you pick it up better than in a classroom setting, at least for me.

Sort of figure when you have neighbors who speak a different language it's more important to pick it up out of necessity. But it still amazes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread