Status
Not open for further replies.

Donny_1699

Jul 27, 2018
I recently picked up a Drop rda by Digi flavour because what I seen on the internet it is a good beginning rda to build on. I've never had an RDA before. So the video I watched by rip trippers the guy used tri-core fused clapton coils so I got some of them. I put them in my deck screwed it in and it didn't fire and my tpriv is reading "ohms too low (0.055)" and these coils are rated for 0.21 ohms. It's weird because I can get it to work with one coil in it but I want to run it as a dual coil build. This opened up a whole new can of beans for me because it looks right and I asked my buddies and they don't know what's wrong with it. It's brand new and my tpriv is 6 months old. Any help or tips will be appreciated!

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The above sounds correct. More resistance. This is one of the (many) reasons I don't ADORE dual coil RTAs especially at super low resistance if that is what is needed to get the flavor you like and etc.

Good luck, maybe do some steam-engine calculating with some different wires, you may be able to build a higher resistance set of duals with even a bit more mass in them if you want major vapor and flavor and etc. But, what you have now is not working.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Flavourchaser hit the nail on the head. :thumb:

Look for higher resistance coils if you are hesitant to build your own.

You don't need extremely low resistance coils on a regulated mod to get a great vape. Just increase the wattage setting with higher resistance coils.

Donny_1699

Jul 27, 2018
Yeah sounds like you're going beyond the limits of your mod which might be 0.1 . If you have 2 coils it halves the resistance. Therefor 0.21 / 2 = 0.105 You would need higher ohms resistance coils.
So higher restiance meaning like 0.4 ohms or higher? Looking at a new mod too, what do y'all recommend!!

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Exotic coils like multicore claptons look cool but are not particularly practical or efficient. Because they are made from a lot of metal they will have a low resistance, in your case so low that the mod will not fire it.
As you are new to this I suggest you either make or buy some plain round wire coils as a starting point of reference and then go from there. If you are interested in making your own which is ultimately the best option, let us know and we can provide help and information on how to do this.

Donny_1699

Jul 27, 2018
Flavourchaser hit the nail on the head. :thumb:

Look for higher resistance coils if you are hesitant to build your own.

You don't need extremely low resistance coils on a regulated mod to get a great vape. Just increase the wattage setting with higher resistance coils.
Would coils with 0.4 ohms work?

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Would coils with 0.4 ohms work?
Two 0.4 ohm coils would have a total resistance of 0.2 ohm. Assuming that your regulated mod can fire that low of a resistance, yes those would work.

But listen to what Sonic said above. If they are Clapton or some other exotic coil build, they are going to have a lot of physical mass. Large mass, low resistance coils are going to have a longer ramp up time ... taking longer to heat up and longer to cool down. They'll drain more energy from your batteries.

I guess the rationale for bulky exotic coils is to gain more "surface area" to vaporize the e-liquid. However, there comes a point when all that surface area has "diminishing returns" and starts to add unwanted side effects.

I prefer the KISS principle. (Keep It Simple, Stupid) Simple basic round wire coils at a reasonable coil resistance totalling around 0.4 - 0.8 ohm. I'm not a cloud chaser. More of a flavor chaser.

Last edited:
  • Useful

Donny_1699

Jul 27, 2018
What metal are the coils? Different metals have different resistances. I use quad core SS wire In my single coil attys. The resistance is very low on them and dont work well in a dual setup. I like NI80 triple core FC for xuals. 7 wraps each side should give you around .25 ohms for the pair.
Ni 80

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
The T-Priv will fire those coils fine. Sounds to me like you installed the pair and didn't get a chance to work out the hot spots because the shorting between wraps caused the resistance to go too low for the mod.

So you can either space out the coils wraps or work out the hot spots on a single coil at a time. Then install both coils and get them glowing equally.

Like the others have said using higher resistance pairs would be better and that will also save you ohms too low trouble down the road. ;)

• Agree

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
Check to make sure there isn't a tiny piece of the wrap wire touching the deck. For it to go from .21 to .055 it sounds like there is a short. Like Trolldragon said you can work on one coil at a time. I have had to do it with a couple pairs of aliens in the past to adjust them to get above the .1 limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread