RDA build

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassanngm

Jan 17, 2018
Hi all,
I have a question regarding the best rda build to get warm-hot vape, best flavour and to vape around 70 to 90 watt.

I am using the following:
Bonza rda and dead rabbit rda
Drag mod
VTC5A batteries

what is the best wire to use ? best ohm? which better .1 ohm or .2 ohm? I am kinda confused coz i have tried many different wires and built before .. tri-core fused clapton ni80, fused clapton ni80 26-36 wire or 28-36 ... etc.

thanks

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Howdy and welcome :). “Best” is not something that is easy to awnser because there is so much variation in personal preference. Best for me and best for you will not be the same.
i can tell you that .1 ohm is ranging into dangerous territory and super low resistance builds like that tend to burn and gunk up faster without producing significantly greater results. Wire below about 26 ga tends to eventually burn through but for some (generally mtl users) can produce superior results. Wire is cheap though so even as a consideration it’s iffy. The juice thing is particularly impossible to treat wit a “best” moniker. What one person loves the next person hates. It’s 100% personal preference

hassanngm

Jan 17, 2018
i can tell you that .1 ohm is ranging into dangerous territory and super low resistance builds like that tend to burn and gunk up faster without producing significantly greater results. Wire below about 26 ga tends to eventually burn through but for some (generally mtl users) can produce superior results. Wire is cheap though so even as a consideration it’s iffy. The juice thing is particularly impossible to treat wit a “best” moniker. What one person loves the next person hates. It’s 100% personal preference

mmm what is the safe range of ohms? and what gage is better? Thank u

hassanngm

Jan 17, 2018
Howdy and welcome :). “Best” is not something that is easy to awnser because there is so much variation in personal preference. Best for me and best for you will not be the same.
you are right.. but I am looking for safe build which safe on me and my batteries and gives me Hot vape and flavour for sure ... what is ur experiences with rda's .. wires .. what ohm u build and what wattage u use...etc.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The resistance of the coil isn't really important on a regulated device, the regulator chip in the mod will deliver the selected wattage to it regardless, and refuse to function if outside the preset limits.
Ideally you want to use coils with minimum mass and maximum surface area.

This is the setup I use for that wattage range and I get clowds for dayz -
Dual coil 26G kanthal 2.5mm internal diameter 11 wraps
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

The heat and flavor will depend a lot on how you setup your airflow and wicking, so dedicate as much effort to perfecting those as well.

Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum

hassanngm

Jan 17, 2018
The resistance of the coil isn't really important on a regulated device, the regulator chip in the mod will deliver the selected wattage to it regardless, and refuse to function if outside the preset limits.
Ideally you want to use coils with minimum mass and maximum surface area.

This is the setup I use for that wattage range and I get clowds for dayz -
Dual coil 26G kanthal 2.5mm internal diameter 11 wraps
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

The heat and flavor will depend a lot on how you setup your airflow and wicking, so dedicate as much effort to perfecting those as well.

Understanding the relationship between power and coil resistance | E-Cigarette Forum
Thank u very much this is really helpful

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I build using simple, round 28 gauge SS wire, usually around 1.0 ohms or slightly less. But, the wattage ranges I am using are going to be vastly different from what you want to build, most likely. If you want to build your own coils, I'd suggest taking a look at steam-engine.org to see what wire types and builds might best suit you if you have a target range you are looking for. Dual coil builds resistances are halved, which I'm fairly certain you might now.

Steam-engine might give you a starting point as to where to start. Flavor varies so much... wattage, juice type, dual or single coil and etc., it's really hard to give a simple answer. But, if you choose a starting point and experiment from there, you will get a chance to see how your own builds are working and can kind of proceed from there, if that makes sense. That's how most people start unless using prebuilt, exotic wires which I hear can be quite fun, but you can build/make those yourself if you so desire.

Best of luck,

Anna

Reactions: hassanngm

hassanngm

Jan 17, 2018
I build using simple, round 28 gauge SS wire, usually around 1.0 ohms or slightly less. But, the wattage ranges I am using are going to be vastly different from what you want to build, most likely. If you want to build your own coils, I'd suggest taking a look at steam-engine.org to see what wire types and builds might best suit you if you have a target range you are looking for. Dual coil builds resistances are halved, which I'm fairly certain you might now.

Steam-engine might give you a starting point as to where to start. Flavor varies so much... wattage, juice type, dual or single coil and etc., it's really hard to give a simple answer. But, if you choose a starting point and experiment from there, you will get a chance to see how your own builds are working and can kind of proceed from there, if that makes sense. That's how most people start unless using prebuilt, exotic wires which I hear can be quite fun, but you can build/make those yourself if you so desire.

Best of luck,

Anna
Thanks Anna... its so clear for me now that its subjective and there is a big range of choices ...

• Agree

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
what is ur experiences with rda's .. wires .. what ohm u build and what wattage u use...etc.
I have used a Patriot and Velocity RDA. I have found my "sweet spot" to be around 0.6 ohm with a dual coil build. I vape between 30 - 40 watts. I use Samsung 30Q 15A 3000mAh and LG HG2 20A 3000mAh batteries in a JAC Vapour DNA75W regulated mod.

Using Steam Engine's coil building calculator, I use 26 gauge round kanthal wire. Eight wraps around a 3 ml diameter mandril yields 0.6 ohm (1.2 ohm coils X 2 = 0.6 ohm).

I use a 3ml mandril because the larger diameter coil is easier for me to wick. However, if you use a 2.5ml mandril, you can get 10 wraps instead of 8 if you want longer coils.

Last edited:

hassanngm

Jan 17, 2018
I have used a Patriot and Velocity RDA. I have found my "sweet spot" to be around 0.6 ohm with a dual coil build. I vape between 30 - 40 watts. I use Samsung 30Q 15A 3000mAh and LG HG2 20A 3000mAh batteries in a JAC Vapour DNA75W regulated mod.

Using Steam Engine's coil building calculator, I use 26 gauge round kanthal wire. Eight wraps around a 3 ml diameter mandril yields 0.6 ohm (1.2 ohm coils X 2 = 0.6 ohm).

I use a 3ml mandril because the larger diameter coil is easier for me to wick. However, if you use a 2.5ml mandril, you can get 10 wraps instead of 8 if you want longer coils.
Interesting ... and do you get hot vape? from 40 watt? ..

hassanngm

Jan 17, 2018
so why some co. such as coilology and geek vape produce low ohm dual coils? whats the benefit from such coils?
I have tried geek vape pre made coils (fused clapton 24ga*2 (parallel)(KA1) + 32ga(N80) and 26ga*3(parallel)(KA1)+36ga(N80) .. all r low ohms coils. 0.125 and 0.15 dual build which req. 80 watt. Also, I have tried tri-core coils N80, 0.15 to 0.2 ohms depends on the ga.

I see u guys don't build that low ohms .. anyone can tell me why these companies offering such coils if the very low resistance is not that safe and they might damage batteries!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Interesting ... and do you get hot vape? from 40 watt? ..
It's not HOT. Hot was not my intention nor preference. It's warm, flavorful, and has more than enough vapor production.

I've attempted to vape many a super-low ohm build (I used to work in a vape shop) and its not for me.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well often those exotic dual builds may be folks seeking huge clouds or whatnot. It's not exactly "unsafe" to build very low, although most regulated mods will have a resistance limit that they won't go below, and the lower the build the more stain on your batteries generally.

I use simple wire builds and single coil RTAs because they fit my vaping style, but there are plenty of folks who find low resistance and exotic builds enjoyable. It kind of depends who you ask and their own preference. Unless you are building on a mechanical mod though, lower resistance builds aren't necessarily unsafe exactly, but the more wattage you need to fire them, and the more metal being heated up will affect battery life, and potentially mod life if it's really to the point that you are approaching higher wattages on your mod...

Anna

steeledragon78

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
Owasso, OK, USA
Is there a particular reason you are looking for a hot vape? I personally have found that for me a dual coil at around .4-.6ohm can give a very flavorful vape without feeling like im sucking on a steam pipe (though if thats what tickles your pickle more power too ya).

In general flavor builds end up being in the higher ohm range than cloud/fog out builds. like @Baditude said running in a 30-40 watt range with mid range sub-ohm build is a great flavor vape, plus the battery longevity is higher. you may not get the 1-2 day runtime that @stols001 would get with her setup, but it will be orders of magnitude longer than at .15 and 90watts.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
so why some co. such as coilology and geek vape produce low ohm dual coils? whats the benefit from such coils?
I have tried geek vape pre made coils (fused clapton 24ga*2 (parallel)(KA1) + 32ga(N80) and 26ga*3(parallel)(KA1)+36ga(N80) .. all r low ohms coils. 0.125 and 0.15 dual build which req. 80 watt. Also, I have tried tri-core coils N80, 0.15 to 0.2 ohms depends on the ga.

I see u guys don't build that low ohms .. anyone can tell me why these companies offering such coils if the very low resistance is not that safe and they might damage batteries!!

Exotic coils like claptons as opposed to simple round wire coils will contain a lot of metal and as a consequence will have a low resistance. Please go back and read what I posted and specifically the article I linked to.
To reiterate, for all intents and purposes a regulated mod does not care what the coil resistance is. You set the wattage, and the mod delivers this wattage to the coil. You may be getting confused with unregulated devices like mechanical mods where the coil resistance is what dictates the power level.

To answer your question about how this pertains to your batteries on a regulated mod, the wattage you select will dictate the amp draw not the coil resistance. Have a read of the article below to see how this is calculated.

Ohms/Watts Law - Calculating safe amp usage | E-Cigarette Forum

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Exotic coils like claptons as opposed to simple round wire coils will contain a lot of metal and as a consequence will have a low resistance.
Yes and no. Clapton’s if done correctly will have the same resistance as their core wire(s). The outer wire is effectively dead metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread