New to vaping question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stalicus

Mar 6, 2020
Hello Everyone, im semi new to vaping. I have just purchases a smoke v8 pen. I am a camel crush smoker and trying my best to stop smoking cigarettes. I bought some vape juice that is supposed to replicate the same menthol as a camel crush, however everytime I vape from my stick it's super harsh and I get no cloud. It literally makes me cough like the first time I ripped a ..... Im using .25 coils. The halo subzero X menthol juice 12mg nicotine PG version.. Im just confused as to why my vape is so harsh. Any ideas on how to get an actual cloud and a less burning hit off my vape?

Reactions: Marper

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Did you prime the coils with e-liquid prior to filling the tank and vaping it? If not, you toasted the cotton wick and ruined them.

You are also using a DTL (direct-to-lung) sub-ohm tank, which many new to vaping find to be too harsh of a vape. A better choice for you would have been a MTL (mouth-to-lung), low wattage tank.

Do a bit of research and find a better setup for beginners.

Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper

Why You Don't Need an E-Liquid that Tastes Like Cigarettes

A Word on Vaping Technique

Smoking vs Vaping Differences

Good luck with quitting smoking using vaping. It really does work. The trick is finding the right vape setup and the right e-liquid.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @Stalicus, if you're looking for vapour production you'll be better using liquids with a higher VG (Vegetable Glycerine) content. And as @Marper has said PG is harsh, also it is an irritant and can cause folks issues.

Also open the airflow as much as possible and try using a lower power level if possible.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Vapecrawler may be able to help you source hardware, other than that it's a good idea to browse the forums and ask questions.

Also it may be a good idea to check out a few local vape shops, as some will allow you to try the 2 different styles of vaping atomisers. As you never know what type suits you until you try them, and with certain MTL atomisers setup certain ways you can create a decent amount of vapour.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
The Innokin Zlide or the recently released Aspire Nautilus GT are good examples of drop in coil tanks, as for rebuildable atomisers there's a massive amount of choice.

But with rebuildables if they are of interest to you, you're probably best looking into RDA's (Rebuildable Dripping Atomisers) and using them with a Squonk mod, as RDA's are considerably easy to work with. You just put a coil in them, wick them and don't suffer the issues that you can encounter with Rebuildable Tank Atomisers (airlocking and leaking/flooding).

Squonk mods have a liquid feed bottle, which allows you to push liquid up into the RDA instead of having to do the old school method of dripping liquid into them which can be quite messy.

And you can also pick up hardware cheaper by using Vapecrawler and Chinese etailers such as Fasttech/2fdeal and such. And clones atomisers, which are copys of genuine ones can be found at very reasonable prices indeed.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
As others have mentioned, higher PG can give a harsher hit. Higher VG can mellow this out and will produce more vapor/clouds. But menthol flavourings can also be perceived as being harsh. I enjoy menthol every once in a while, but the flavour percentage has to be low, VERY low, otherwise I cannot vape it. Unfortunately with commercial juice we do not know the flavour percentages so keep an open mind in trying different flavours.

If willing to pay the price of admission, then I would encourage trying an MTL atomizer. But understand this is not a guarantee. I started with MTL and found it irritating as hell and quickly adopted a DTL style. We are all different therefore have different values, needs and practices. Based on the individual, sometimes we do not need to mimic smoking to a T, but to achieve a satisfaction that is great enough to allow us to kick the nasty habit.

That said, both MTL and DTL can benefit from power control and the V8 Pen does not provide this. Judging by the measurements found online, if we took the Innokin Z PLEX3D coil, which is 0.48 ohms and recommended to be used between 13 and 16 watts, I suspect the V8 would output between 30 and 35 watts. And this is just one example.

If willing to take the plunge into experimenting with different coils/atomizers, be it MTL or DTL, it would be to your benefit to replace the V8 with something that allows adjustability. But before you start throwing money at hardware, I would start by changing your juice – perhaps even a different flavour. Just keep an open mind and understand there is no one size fits all!

• Winner
Reactions: Aliraonz

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hello Everyone, im semi new to vaping. I have just purchases a smoke v8 pen. I am a camel crush smoker and trying my best to stop smoking cigarettes. I bought some vape juice that is supposed to replicate the same menthol as a camel crush, however everytime I vape from my stick it's super harsh and I get no cloud. It literally makes me cough like the first time I ripped a ..... Im using .25 coils. The halo subzero X menthol juice 12mg nicotine PG version.. Im just confused as to why my vape is so harsh. Any ideas on how to get an actual cloud and a less burning hit off my vape?
Welcome and glad you joined.
The information below may help you to obtain a good foundation of vaping knowledge.
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
Learn What Vaping is and How to Inhale Properly (Vaping 101)
2015: The Art of the Drip - A Dripping Primer | Spinfuel VAPE
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
Beginner Archives - Guide To Vaping
Vaping 101: An Ultimate Guide Focusing on Basics for Beginners
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
Introduction and guide to e-Cig mods
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/x...up-the-vaping-ladder-with-egos-and-mods.5058/
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...nk-or-what-a-guide-to-juice-attachments.3230/

Reactions: Aliraonz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread