New Vaper, ex-dipper (Skoal, Copenhagen, snus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerS

Nov 16, 2013
AZ
Hi,

It has been 6 weeks since my last can of chewing tobacco, after 20+ years of heavy use. I'd done patches and gum previously with moderate to little success. I've never been a smoker, but I stopped into a vape shop near my work to see what the deal was out of curiosity. The man behind the counter approached me and said "you look like a dipper! This can work for you too". Wow, I didn't realize we dippers stuck out so bad. He told me of some success stories he knows about, and spent an incredibly long time explaining how it works and the equipment - both good and bad sides of each piece. I purchased my first set up right then, a vision spinner and 2 evod clearos.

The first week was quite difficult. I wasn't coming close to the levels of nic that my hefty can+ a day habit was giving me, but the novelty of vaping helped me get through it. I found some higher strength juices and used those when I needed to. For the physical piece I briefly used sunflower seeds to keep my mouth busy, but don't anymore.

I don't consider this over, there is some concern that once the novelty wears off I may go back. Plus, I've replaced a tobacco addiction with a shopping addiction. I've got a ton of stuff now, but it looks like that isn't uncommon. :2cool:

Figured I'd introduce myself, and add a beginners success story from a non-smoker.

Thanks,

Roger

BigDaddyQ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2013
Greenville, SC
If you are truly trying to quit tobacco, it's a matter of willpower. Going with higher nicotine level juices will help. I made the mistake when I first started vaping by trying to go with the level that's recommended on patches and nicotine gum. After a few days I realized it wasn't cutting the mustard. Which may be the reason patches and gum never worked in the first place for me when I tried quitting in the past. I talked to the guy at the local B&M shop and he laughed and recommended starting with the highest level they sold, 26mg, and if I get a headaches from it, to step down bit by bit till I found my level. Then I could continue to lower the level every few weeks or so if my goal was to get off nicotine as well. Right now I'm down to 6 or 8mg juices mostly. Though for my Mt. Dew flavored juice I actually prefer 0mg as the taste of the nicotine detracted from the flavor of the juice.

OriginalityIsDead

Nov 24, 2013
Ohio
Hey there Roger, welcome to the forums brother. I'm a fairly new vaper too. I'd just like to say that you're not the only one, I've known people that were smoking for decades even who've switched, and while the sensation isn't quite the same, it does get easier with time and experience. I still have a cig every now and then, but vaping now makes up the majority of my nicotine intake, and soon enough you won't feel so dependent upon it and may move to lower concentrations. Just keep on keeping on with it, try out new flavors and tanks to keep it interesting, and try to enjoy all of the benefits that come with vaping, both to your wallet and to your health.

Good Luck, and welcome again!

photon9

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
Capital Region NY
Nice. I was actually going to start a thread to see if any x-chewers were here besides me, but yeah I chewed for 7 years. On a whim one night with a two hour drive home from a gig I picked up an NJoy king menthol. It was so good I knew before the ride was over that I was done with chewing and on to vaping. It was one of the easiest things I've ever done. So now I've been vaping for 6 weeks (too! :)). At first I thought I wanted it to taste menthol. Got a White Cloud Cirrus III starter kit. It was ok. Hung out here for a while and switched it up with Halo G6 cigalikes with mini-tanks and a couple variety packs. Figured out pretty quick I'm not all about the tobacco or menthol flavors, but instead was going for the midnite apple, HX3, and tribeca. Sweeter, fruitier. Also rather quickly I got sick of charging batteries constantly and ordered up an EVOD kit. Loving it so far. Especially when I replaced the 2.5 ohm coil head with a 1.8 ohm. Sticking with this for now it seems. Might order up another one to have more flavors readily at my fingertips and well new colors lol idk. It's great. It seems like a lot of info at first but it's been fun experimenting and figuring out what works for me and stuff. Vape on!

ZW99GT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
DFW
Welcome RogerS. I was a Grizzly Straight dipper for over 8 years before trying an e-cig. I used 24-18mg juice exclusively for over a year until I stepped into rebuidables. I still use 18mg today, 15months into vaping, when using a cartomizer or clearomizer. Looking back, it was very important for me to "think" I was getting enough nicotine, whether I was or not. I also relied on seeds and big league chew while doing activities where I was most used to dipping (long drives, outdoor activities, etc...)

I am a tinkerer at heart, so the mods and batteries and thousands of atomizers really excited me. It sure made it easier to stick with it when it became a hobby.

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
I dipped and smoked for 34 years. A can + of Copenhagen a day and a pack and a half of smokes. I increased my smoking when I quit dipping the first week of September, I had been using disposable e cigs on and off all year. I made the decision to quit entirely, stepped up my vaping gear and bought a bunch of 24 mg juices.

Gum for the oral fixation and vaping for for the hand to mouth. My signature is the day of no tobacco, the journey to get there has been a year.

I honestly crave no tobaccos, just more flavors of juice and more gear.

edit: I just figured out if I add the cost of Copenhagen in to the savings I have actually saved money :)

RogerS

Nov 16, 2013
AZ
I dipped and smoked for 34 years. A can + of Copenhagen a day and a pack and a half of smokes. I increased my smoking when I quit dipping the first week of September, I had been using disposable e cigs on and off all year. I made the decision to quit entirely, stepped up my vaping gear and bought a bunch of 24 mg juices.

Gum for the oral fixation and vaping for for the hand to mouth. My signature is the day of no tobacco, the journey to get there has been a year.

I honestly crave no tobaccos, just more flavors of juice and more gear.

edit: I just figured out if I add the cost of Copenhagen in to the savings I have actually saved money :)

Well heck. You got me covered, it actually makes me feel much more confident. Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread