New vaper needing advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halcyon2501

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Greenville, SC USA
Hey all,

I've been smoking cigarettes for about 20 years, and first tried e-cigs a couple years ago. The brand I went with (Bloog) had a 2-piece system at the time, and between batteries that wouldn't hold a charge and cartridges that arrived dry, I didn't stick with it very long.

Recently, I've decided to give e-cigs another try, and after reading some reviews, I went with ProSmoke. I'm having better luck with these; the 3-piece system seems to work better, the parts are better quality, and the carrying case that charges the batteries is a nice touch. However, I'm still having issues with vapor volume - it's great at the start of a cartridge, but peters out quickly and stays low for the remainder of the cart. I'd also rather have a local supplier, rather than having to rely on mail order - my orders are taking 5 days to a week to get to me.

I've recently found a store nearby that sells eGo clearomizers and e-liquid, although I have yet to check it out. In the short time I've been browsing this site, I've seen a lot of mention of clearomizers, but I'm not sure how they differ from the e-cig model I'm using. Also, I'm still unclear on whether VG or PG or a mix of the two is better - my current model uses 100% VG. I'm pretty sure the store sells a mix; that seems to be the popular choice.

Anyway, any advice or help you guys can offer would be much appreciated - this latest e-cig has kept me off traditional tobacco for nearly 2 months now, and I'd like to stay that way if possible.

BradGa

Moved On
Jun 30, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Hi. Welcome to ECF!

Based on the models you described, it seems like you prefer e-cigs that resemble the size of a regular cigarette. I wouldn't expect much battery life or vapor production from those mini e-cigs. If you were a light smoker ie. less than 1/2 pack a day, they might work fine for you. But, if you smoked more than 1/2 a pack a day, then I would suggest the Ego or at least a 510 model. Clearomizers are great. Alot less refilling, and great vapor production. Provided you get a good quality version. I currently use, and love the iClear 16. Great flavor and No Leaking, and its rebuildable. As far as PG/VG ratios thats an open ended question, as everybody has their own preferences. But, generally PG offers the most flavor, VG offers the most vapor production. Some people have allergies to PG and therefore prefer all VG. But, i think most vapers typically go with a 50/50 or 70/30 mix. Hope this info helps.

Choc_Addic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2013
Caldicote tunnel
Hello, welcome to the forum.

This will explain new user about what is what by our own Baditude.
I suggest EGO , EGO twist, batteries and start with EVOD (clero) heads. Browsing around and ask any questions you may have.
At the same time order or get some small bottles of ejuice.

Give these a try and see how its goes.

Cheers.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Welcome Halycon2501 to the Ecigarette forum. I myself am new to the forum (this is my first post/reply), but I've been lurking in the shadows for quite some time, and been an e-cig user for quite a while. I too have went the same route as you, and have had some discoveries along the way. Reading these forums have definately helped steer me towards where I am now, and I'm satisfied.

Like you, I have smoked for around 20 years. Like you, I decided to give e-cigs a try after seeing some on sale at a grocery store. (METRO ecigs). If you were like me, The look and size of the Cigarette size might initially appeal to you. However, in my experience, I had to buy two batteries, and ended up getting three batteries that cost me a total of $60. The refill cartriges were $10 for three, and would last me a couple of days. I finally found information on how to refill them, and tried refilling the cartriges with some success, and that greatly reduced the price. It took me three months to quit a 20 year habit. At first, I would need to smoke a regular cigarette in the beginning to fully satisfy the urge. I would try to see how long I could go without having to pickup a lighter. It only took me three weeks to fully switch to an Ecig. at the end of two months, I decided I'd try a cigarette, and realized how horrible they taste, and how they smell towards others. However, the batteries I were using didn't last very long, I would need two batteries to last the whole day and I decided I wanted more in the battery.

If you can find a brick and mortar E-cig store locally, go there, That's what I've done. Most of what I've read about local shops have been positive, and the people very helpfull. I was lucky enough to find a local store about 45 minute drive away, and decided to go there. They recommended I go with their starter kit which included 2 EGO style batteries, 5 clearomizers, a charger, and plenty of juice to start off with. It was exactly what I was looking for. The Ego style batteries + the clearomizers weren't too huge. I decided to go with one smaller sized "designer" battery and one of their standard batteries. I noticed, however, that the smaller battery seemed to vape better and was my preferred battery even though it didn't last as long. I hooked it up to a meter, and realized voltage does matter. The smaller battery put out .4 volts more than the larger one. This opened up a whole new "research" field and did tonnes of research. I realized that a Variable voltage battery would be the best choice. Also, I switched from using those clearomizers that came with the system, to one with a replaceable head clearomizer. Those offered much better performance in all aspects. I recieved my VAMO V3 (Variable voltage battery) 2 days ago, and I am impressed... I finally feel that I have reached "my sweet spot", and I doubt I will go any further. 6 months vaping, I can smell better, taste things better, and have no phlem/chest buildup. I cannot recall the last time I had one of those smokers cough even though it's only been 6 months.

Now, here's a few tips/realizations I'd give in hind-sight....

1) If you want a Cigarette style, Try to get something with a 510 connection. I've noticed that there are currently a lot of options out there for that connection, and if you decide to upgrade, chances are, your old stuff will probably work with the newer stuff due to the standardized connection. I do not know what Prosmoke connection uses, but in my case, I have no idea what my Metro Cigs use, so I now have three batteries and 20 or so empty cartriges just collecting dust.

2) Atomizers do burn out over time. In short, an atomizer is like the wires in your toaster... you apply electricity, and they glow red hot in most cases. An ecig just gets those coils wet with ecig juice, usually through a wick. Eventually, they will get dirty and not work as well if you continually refill then vape. If you can get a system that is cleanable, that helps save money in the long run.

3) there is a noticeable difference between how people treat you when you have a cigarette shaped ecig, and one that is "unconventional" shaped. When I went to Six flags with my Metro Ecigs, they guy pulled me aside to tell me to smoke my e-cig in the designated smoking area. When I went went in with my Ego style battery/clearomizer, they didn't say a thing and I stealth vaped through the entire park. Also, people give you more of a curious look when you're on an Ego battery, whereas on a Cigarette shaped battery, some people just give you a dirty look.

3) Stick with it. In the beginning, you will still want to smoke a regular cigarette. Don't let that get you down. You're addicted to more than just one chemical with regular cigarettes. Niccotine, is addictive, but it's not a carcinogen. It's not a %100 safe drug, but vaping it is more than 100 times safer than smoking it in my opinion. Do your own research, and come up to your own conclusion.

4) Stick with Tobacco flavors in the beginning. In my experience, it helped the transition. Now, I switch off between a tobacco flavor and something, what I call, Exotic (Ecto Plasma anyone?).

5) PG/VG.. get smaller bottles of three different types if you can. Get one that is 50/50, one that is more PG than VG, and another that is more VG than PG. Get the same flavor for all three then decide on which you want to stick with.

Anyways, just my 2 cents worth.

Hey all,

I've been smoking cigarettes for about 20 years, and first tried e-cigs a couple years ago. The brand I went with (Bloog) had a 2-piece system at the time, and between batteries that wouldn't hold a charge and cartridges that arrived dry, I didn't stick with it very long.

Recently, I've decided to give e-cigs another try, and after reading some reviews, I went with ProSmoke. I'm having better luck with these; the 3-piece system seems to work better, the parts are better quality, and the carrying case that charges the batteries is a nice touch. However, I'm still having issues with vapor volume - it's great at the start of a cartridge, but peters out quickly and stays low for the remainder of the cart. I'd also rather have a local supplier, rather than having to rely on mail order - my orders are taking 5 days to a week to get to me.

I've recently found a store nearby that sells eGo clearomizers and e-liquid, although I have yet to check it out. In the short time I've been browsing this site, I've seen a lot of mention of clearomizers, but I'm not sure how they differ from the e-cig model I'm using. Also, I'm still unclear on whether VG or PG or a mix of the two is better - my current model uses 100% VG. I'm pretty sure the store sells a mix; that seems to be the popular choice.

Anyway, any advice or help you guys can offer would be much appreciated - this latest e-cig has kept me off traditional tobacco for nearly 2 months now, and I'd like to stay that way if possible.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Hello, welcome to the forum.

This will explain new user about what is what by our own Baditude.
I suggest EGO , EGO twist, batteries and start with EVOD (clero) heads. Browsing around and ask any questions you may have.
At the same time order or get some small bottles of ejuice.

Give these a try and see how its goes.

Cheers.

Agree 100%

cig a likes are a start.... but you will soon want to upgrade. There's to so much good stuff out there that reduces the cig a likes to childish fisher price toys.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Hi

Pretty much agree with everything that has been said. The majority of people who try cigalike size stuff find the experience underwhelming and frustrating. And ProSmoke... nothing good to say there. Grossly overpriced. Never believe any site that says they are "the best in the universe" at anything. The place is all hype and no substance - as you are finding out.

The 3 piece mini cig style setup they are selling is some of the oldest technology out there. A fair price for a 2 battery starter kit like those would be $35.00. There isn't much to be done about your experience re: "starts out great, ...where'd the vapor go?" Those cartridges have a really small capacity - perhaps 20 minutes of vaping. Then you refill... and repeat. And you can refill - but that is the experience.

Ok, clearos. Much easier to refill and last much longer - an entire day - before refilling is needed for a 3.5 ml capacity clearo. But they really aren't an option for your current batteries. Plus, if you moved up to even the smallest size/capacity eGo style battery you would get a good six hours run time before recharging is needed. The combination would be a big step up from your current experience.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread