New Vaper trying to Quit Smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaManfre

Jul 19, 2018
Hello all, new vaper here, trying to quit smoking, and in need of a little more help. My friend got me started with this, and recommended I get a Smok X-Priv, and an IJoy Limitless RDTA (both cause of a sale price, and the ability for the Smok to grow with me) which I did. Then, I went on a buying spree, cause while I sort of enjoy it, I am looking for something smoother/less harsh.

The problem I have, is that when I Vape DL, I end up having an annoying cough (more so than my smokers cough) on the exhale. Ive tried inhaling/exhaling slower, lowering the wattage, upping the wattage, and going from 6mg to 3mg juice.

Im currently using my X-Priv with a Crown 3 tank, at 90w and the airflow about 1/8th an inch open. Ive played with different airflows, and even though it whistles a little bit, it makes me cough the least.

Here is everything Ive currently purchased:
X-Priv 225w
Dovpo M VV 280w
Smok TFV12 Prince
UWell Crown 3
Freemax Fireluke Pro
IJoy Limitless RDTA (I got 2 by accident)
Uwell Valyrian
IJoy Cigpet ECO12
Bunch of PreMade Coils (80pcs set)
Cotton Bacon Prime

I know, I know, I bought too much stuff. Mostly it was because they were on sale, or came as recommendations from a couple friends, because Im having a hard time comfortably vaping.

Ive tried almost all of them except the FireLuke and the Limitless, Fireluke comes tomorrow, and the RDTA is more cause it was on sale, and for when I start building. The Cigpet just got too hot to use, so Im thinking it might not be compatible with the XPriv. The Valyrian was nice, but only at below 90w, which Ive heard will just boil juice and isnt good for the tank. The TFV12 Prince I couldnt get the airflow right, and somehow it leaked a lot for me, which I cant figure out where Im going wrong on that one.

I just need help trying to get a smoother vape feeling, less burn and hopefully no cough involved. I dont really care much about how huge my cloud is, and I want it to be discreet as far as the cloud goes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MegaManfre

Jul 19, 2018
Wow.

I wouldn't be using any of that stuff to quit the smokes.

I'd be vaping 18mg at about 10 watts using something old school like an iStick and a Protank.

Oh well.... that's not to say you won't use all that stuff in time.... you certainly will! :thumb:
Ive tried that, every ECig out there, and a couple sticks from friends. They all kill my throat, and I cant stand the taste for the most part. Its almost like breathing in super hot steam for me. The XPriv is, so far, the longest thing Ive actually used, and even though its uncomfortable, its still more pleasurable that any ECig or vape stick Ive tried.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Ive tried that, every ECig out there, and a couple sticks from friends. They all kill my throat, and I cant stand the taste for the most part. Its almost like breathing in super hot steam for me. The XPriv is, so far, the longest thing Ive actually used, and even though its uncomfortable, its still more pleasurable that any ECig or vape stick Ive tried.

Oh well, this is more complicated altogether.
You need lots of ideas I feel... I'll be back later.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have to agree with djsvapour. The equipment you are currently using is perhaps a little too advanced for a relatively new vaper. In general, DTL (direct-to-lung) subohm tanks and higher wattage vaping is for advanced vapers.

What you probably need is a MTL (mouth-to-lung) tank along the lines of a Aspire Nautilus with 1.8 ohm coils and using a much lower wattage setting. You don't need a different battery device, just decrease the wattage setting. This setup would be more ideal for a newer vaper and provide a much smoother, cooler, and enjoyable vape.

Last edited:

MegaManfre

Jul 19, 2018
I have to agree with djsvapour. The equipment you are currently using is perhaps a little too advanced for a relatively new vaper. In general, DTL (direct-to-lung) subohm tanks and higher wattage vaping is for advanced vapers.

What you probably need is a MTL (mouth-to-lung) tank along the lines of a Aspire Nautilus with 1.6 ohm coils and using a much lower wattage setting. This setup would be more ideal for a newer vaper and provide a much smoother, enjoyable vape.

I've gotten used to the direct lung vaping, as far as doing it. But if that's the reason for the harshness, would the nautilus 2 work in the 2 mods I have? It seems like it would on paper, but not sure if that's the case being I'm using a sub ohm mod. That's the only reason why it's not on my purchase list lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I can't imagine vaping at 90 watts. I started with an Ego/Ce4 and advanced from there. After 4 years I've finally gone over 20 watts.
I'm with you. I've been vaping for over 6 years. Vaped around 10 watts for years. Just in the last couple of years I've moved up to a whopping 30 watts.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've gotten used to the direct lung vaping, as far as doing it. But if that's the reason for the harshness, would the nautilus 2 work in the 2 mods I have? It seems like it would on paper, but not sure if that's the case being I'm using a sub ohm mod. That's the only reason why it's not on my purchase list.
I've not personally used the Nautilus 2 tanks, but they are MTL tanks.

+1 they are top fill (original Nautilus is bottom fill). The Aspire Nautilus 2 has a new low resistance BVC 0.7ohm atomizer head that has improved flavor and vapor production. The Aspire Nautilus 2 is also compatible with the original fan favorite BVC 1.8ohm Nautilus atomizer heads as well. Only downside is they only have a 2ml capacity.

• Includes (1) New BVC Kanthal 0.7ohm Atomizer Head (Recommended 18 - 23 Watts) (Pre-installed)
  • Includes (1) Original BVC Kanthal 1.8ohm Atomizer Head (Recommended 10 - 14 Watts)

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't know if it will help you or not, but you can certainly put a Nautilus or N2 on one of your larger, two battery mods, just turn the wattage way down.

If it's happened with EVERYTHING you've tried so far (although I have to be honest I was a coughing machine when I got here, due to my respiratory tract being shot, completely) I guess it could be a PG or VG sensitivity so playing with your ratios some might make sense. Could be too high nic level (it's actually pretty easy to do on a DL setup) or you might try nic salts AT THE RIGHT DOSE, they are noticeably smoother and I use them because I desire 0 throat hit.

So you do have more options than gear although I'm fairly certain that had I even approached, say, 45 watts starting out, (and I'm still a MTL vaper) I would have been coughing my brains out even more than I already was.

So you could try some things. The mouth to nose inhale-exhale, while it isn't as satisfying as a true deep into the throat inhale, may be worth it as you adjust to vaping.

Also hydrate, hydrate hydrate I can't stress that enough. My guess is as long as you aren't sensitive to an ingredient you MAY adjust as you move through detox. This thread also helped me a bunch when I was starting out.

Good luck to you you can do it!

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/threads/a-list-of-symptoms-when-quitting-tobacco-and-changing-to-an-ecigarette.3305/

LOL, I am doing it AGAIN, after falling off the wagon due to some MAJOR stress and stuff, although OMG I nowhere near never approached my former 3 ppd habit, so it is a BIT easier. Kinda. Sorta. But, you will be glad you stuck with it and etc.

Anna

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I think all the variables have been covered. But I agree the first thing is, too high on the watts.

Depending on what juice ( what ingredients and percentages there of), dl or mtl, ohms of the coil, I might be anywhere from 10-50 watts, and only lately can I tolerate those higher watts, almost five years vaping.

I started mtl and was mostly so for the first two years, using dl once in a while. Now, mostly the opposite. Which was pretty common back when I started and worked/works for me.

It’s not a contest to see who can go the highest, not is it necessary to vape the same way your friends do. It’s about trying various combinations until You find your sweet spot.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Vaping made me cough at first. So bad that i didn't think I was gonna be able to vape. You've got some killer equipment and you will eventually be using it so don't get rid of it. Just start with MTL and a high enough nic level to stop craving cigs. And like the others said, drop the wattage to a comfortable level. Once you get past all the rough spots and coughing, you should be able to use the other stuff you bought.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I just need help trying to get a smoother vape feeling, less burn and hopefully no cough involved. I dont really care much about how huge my cloud is
Welcome and glad you joined.
The main thing to remember is, part of vaping is all about you the vaper, being in control and the freedom to fix/tailor any aspect of vaping you feel you need to improve upon. Looking at your atomizers, all look like they are made for sub ohm'g. Suggest starting out with a simple single non sub ohm coil in one of your RDTA's. My Settings:zero nic,single coil (~6.4-.8w/32ga KA1;4-5 turns;.110 ID;Rayon with 100% VG). You can work up to more watts and flavor later. Might like to read:
Efficiency. Thinner wire and higher resistance VS thick wire and lower resistance
r/electronic_cigarette - Resistance is futile. Ohms are not king. Wattage is.
Higher Resistance, Lower Wattage vs Lower Resistance, Higher Wattage
The Vaper`s Guide to Flavour Chasing: 10 Tips To Maximise Flavour
The rebuildable information below may help you:
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Rayon Wick - Better Flow, Flavor, Longevity, and Nic Hit!! - Pt.2
Rayon wick, better flow, flavor, saturation and Nic Hit!

BoilerGuy

Unresolved Status
Sep 13, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

ags79

Jun 18, 2018
Hello all, new vaper here, trying to quit smoking, and in need of a little more help. My friend got me started with this, and recommended I get a Smok X-Priv, and an IJoy Limitless RDTA (both cause of a sale price, and the ability for the Smok to grow with me) which I did. Then, I went on a buying spree, cause while I sort of enjoy it, I am looking for something smoother/less harsh.

The problem I have, is that when I Vape DL, I end up having an annoying cough (more so than my smokers cough) on the exhale. Ive tried inhaling/exhaling slower, lowering the wattage, upping the wattage, and going from 6mg to 3mg juice.

Im currently using my X-Priv with a Crown 3 tank, at 90w and the airflow about 1/8th an inch open. Ive played with different airflows, and even though it whistles a little bit, it makes me cough the least.

X-Priv 225w
Dovpo M VV 280w
Smok TFV12 Prince
UWell Crown 3
Freemax Fireluke Pro
Uwell Valyrian
IJoy Cigpet ECO12
Cotton Bacon Prime

I know, I know, I bought too much stuff. Mostly it was because they were on sale, or came as recommendations from a couple friends, because Im having a hard time comfortably vaping.

Ive tried almost all of them except the FireLuke and the Limitless, Fireluke comes tomorrow, and the RDTA is more cause it was on sale, and for when I start building. The Cigpet just got too hot to use, so Im thinking it might not be compatible with the XPriv. The Valyrian was nice, but only at below 90w, which Ive heard will just boil juice and isnt good for the tank. The TFV12 Prince I couldnt get the airflow right, and somehow it leaked a lot for me, which I cant figure out where Im going wrong on that one.

I just need help trying to get a smoother vape feeling, less burn and hopefully no cough involved. I dont really care much about how huge my cloud is, and I want it to be discreet as far as the cloud goes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Grats on quitting cigs! I am 2 months in and sooo glad I did. For me, most times its not the equipment but the juice that effects coughing etc. Higher VG ratio is going to make it smoother and less harsh on the throat. If I vape anything with a 40+ ratio of PG im hacking my brains out like someone whos never smoked. Highest I go for pg content is 70VG/30PG. Using the device correctly like most will recommend does play a big part but the juice plays a large part also

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I don't go along with torturing yourself with dry hits with old stuff to quit smoking, because by god it worked for me, there were many times it almost didn't work for me because dry hits suck that much.
Do what works for you. If you want DTL figure out how to make it work for you. If what works for you is MTL sub-Ω do that.
Even if you want low Ω high mg MTL tootle puffing there is modern stuff suitable for that type of vaping that works a lot better than old sticks and old tanks.

I couldn't DTL until temperature control and that was quite a few years after I started vaping full time and was over the initial coughing from it. I would suggest trying TC.

Mimi25

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2018
We have to find what works for us. What might be perfect for one would suck for me. Guess that’s why we are offered so many choices. I wasted some dollars finding what works for me. But I found it. Every dollar that I spent smoking was wasted. Wishing you good luck. You will find what isn’t uncomfortable for you.

Mimi25

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2018

X-Priv 225w
Dovpo M VV 280w
Smok TFV12 Prince
UWell Crown 3
Freemax Fireluke Pro
Uwell Valyrian
IJoy Cigpet ECO12
Cotton Bacon Prime

Hello and welcome. I’m not saying that anything you bought is a bad thing. I would just save for a little later. I quit smoking with the Aspire Vision Spinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread