New Vaper Here.... HII

Status
Not open for further replies.

endless_destiniy

Nov 13, 2018
Sweden
hello,

Not sure if this is the right place, but i had just found out about this website :/
I have been vaping on and off, as well as smoking cigarettes. But now I have fully stopped with smoking and went to vaping.

My new mod is now a SMOK X priv kit. I have owned this for about 2 or 3 months now.
I am quite happy with this, apart from I have to keep changing the coils ever 2 or 3 days.

I am wondering, is there a way I can maximize the lifespan of my coils? I have tried to cut down on the chain vaping and not let the coil get too hot.

Im also wondering if there is a way to change the tank? To use a different coil instead of a prince coil?

Would it be handy to instead of having to buy coils, I should consider getting an RDA for my mod?

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Unfortunately many factory drop in coils do have pretty short lives, 3 days is very short though. One big factor on coil life can be the eliquid you use, very sweet, dark, or heavily flavored juices can burn up or gunk up coils faster.
Rebuildables can be an improvement on this because you have more control, but they still gunk up. Big advantage is you Don't have to change the coil itself, just the wicking and burn off the gunk on the unwicked coil and clean it. There is a lot of knowledge needed to rebuild, so if you are interested start learning, before you make a purchase... It's not difficult, but the more you know the more satisfied you will be in the end, and you will be able to find the right gear for you and techniques more easily.
Good luck!

endless_destiniy

Nov 13, 2018
Sweden
Unfortunately many factory drop in coils do have pretty short lives, 3 days is very short though. One big factor on coil life can be the eliquid you use, very sweet, dark, or heavily flavored juices can burn up or gunk up coils faster.
Rebuildables can be an improvement on this because you have more control, but they still gunk up. Big advantage is you Don't have to change the coil itself, just the wicking and burn off the gunk on the unwicked coil and clean it. There is a lot of knowledge needed to rebuild, so if you are interested start learning, before you make a purchase... It's not difficult, but the more you know the more satisfied you will be in the end, and you will be able to find the right gear for you and techniques more easily.
Good luck!
Smok brand is notorious for short lived coils. Probably not much you can do about it short of purchasing something else. Welcome.

Hmm, thanks for the replies. I use a Mango, Strawberry low mint E-liquid, as well as a Grape liquid with 6MG nictoune, I now have a ASAP Apple Nasty Juice E-Liquid.

Are they any good?

I mean, today I have brought new coils which are called V12 Prince Tank Max Mesh coils. The guy at the vape store said it should last longer but i think he was just trying to sell me stuff lol

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My new mod is now a SMOK X priv kit. I have owned this for about 2 or 3 months now.
I am quite happy with this, apart from I have to keep changing the coils ever 2 or 3 days.

I am wondering, is there a way I can maximize the lifespan of my coils? I have tried to cut down on the chain vaping and not let the coil get too hot.

Im also wondering if there is a way to change the tank? To use a different coil instead of a prince coil?

Would it be handy to instead of having to buy coils, I should consider getting an RDA for my mod?
As said above, some e-liquids (primarily sweet and/or dark colored) tend to be hard on coils in general. If you really love those flavors, that's the price you will pay.

SMOK coils are rather notorious for short coil life. They also require high wattage settings which may tend to shorten their life expectancy.

You can use any tank on your SMOK X Priv mod. You could choose between the two types of tanks available: MTL (mouth to lung) or DTL (direct to lung). SMOK tanks are all DTL. How important are vapor clouds to you while vaping?

You could try a RDA. Just understand what that would involve. You would be dripping your e-liquid onto a cotton wick every several puffs, and then start over. Pretty different from using a tank. You would also need to learn how to make your own wire coils and cotton wicks.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Good luck!
I’m not sure if “a lot of knowledge” is really accurate especially if you use prebuilt coils. Wicking an RTA can be fairly exacting depending on the particular atty. watching a build video is usually enough though.

endless_destiniy

Nov 13, 2018
Sweden
As said above, some e-liquids (primarily sweet and/or dark colored) tend to be hard on coils in general. If you really love those flavors, that's the price you will pay.

SMOK coils are rather notorious for short coil life. They also require high wattage settings which may tend to shorten their life expectancy.

You can use any tank on your SMOK X Priv mod. You could choose between the two types of tanks available: MTL (mouth to lung) or DTL (direct to lung). Your SMOK tanks are DTL. How important are vapor clouds to you while vaping?

You could try a RDA. Just understand what that would involve. You would be dripping your e-liquid onto a cotton wick every several puffs, and then start over. Pretty different from using a tank. You would also need to learn how to make your own wire coils and cotton wicks.
Sweet, dark colored juices usually gunk up coils faster. An RDA is a good choice if you like gunky juices since you can burn off the coil and re-wick as needed.

Yh I think that works. How would I know which ones are MTL and DTL? I love blowing big clouds lol. That is why I upgraded from a starter kit xD

Yh im gonna go in to the vape store and see how i can get the RDA thing. I seen a friend of mine do it and it doesnt seem complicated as he taught me. I even got a go and placing the cotton in the coil and wiking it XD. But Im not sure if an RDA is a better option or not... :/

And if I go for the RDA, how would it work? Will I just change the cotton every now and again or change the actual wires inside or buy a new one?

Sorry for all the stupid questions!!

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
An RDA is a dripper. You drip juice into it and vape as it doesn't have a juice tank. Also look at an RTA which is a closed tank that holds juice like what you are using now.

With both you can coil your own coils or buy pre-coiled ones to install. You need to wick it. When change is needed you take the used wick out and burn clean off the coil to get gunk off and re-wick. You can find a lot of info on doing that on here or watch some youtube videos.

DTL tanks will be subohm and have more airflow. Most MTL tanks are use higher ohm coils and have restricted airflow

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yh I think that works. How would I know which ones are MTL and DTL? I love blowing big clouds lol. That is why I upgraded from a starter kit xD

And if I go for the RDA, how would it work? Will I just change the cotton every now and again or change the actual wires inside or buy a new one?
Generally speaking, MTL tanks use higher ohm coils (0.8 - 1.5 ohm) and require far lower wattage settings on your mod. Their drip tips are "usually" a narrow bore diameter for a tigher/restrictive draw like a cigarette. Examples would be the Innokin Zenith and Aspire Nautilus tanks.

DTL tanks use lower ohm coils (0.2 - 0.6 ohm) and require far higher wattage settings. Their drip tips "usually" are a wider bore diameter for a looser/open draw like drawing air from a wide straw. Example would be your SMOK tank.

Coils for a RDA can last months at a time. You can "dry burn" the coils to clean the crud and gunk buildup off. You will generally need to remove and replace the cotton wick every 3 - 4 days. Some folks do buy premade coils for their RDA's.

endless_destiniy

Nov 13, 2018
Sweden
Generally speaking, MTL tanks use higher ohm coils (0.8 - 1.5 ohm) and require far lower wattage settings on your mod. Their drip tips are "usually" a narrow bore diameter for a tigher/restrictive draw like a cigarette. Examples would be the Innokin Zenith and Aspire Nautilus tanks.

DTL tanks use lower ohm coils (0.2 - 0.6 ohm) and require far higher wattage settings. Their drip tips "usually" are a wider bore diameter for a looser/open draw like drawing air from a wide straw. Example would be your SMOK tank.

Coils for a RDA can last months at a time. You can "dry burn" the coils to clean the crud and gunk buildup off. You will generally need to remove and replace the cotton wick every 3 - 4 days. Some folks do buy premade coils for their RDA's.
An RDA is a dripper. You drip juice into it and vape as it doesn't have a juice tank. Also look at an RTA which is a closed tank that holds juice like what you are using now.

With both you can coil your own coils or buy pre-coiled ones to install. You need to wick it. When change is needed you take the used wick out and burn clean off the coil to get gunk off and re-wick. You can find a lot of info on doing that on here or watch some utube videos.

DTL tanks will be subohm and have more airflow. Most MTL tanks are use higher ohm coils and have restricted airflow

Jaha. Ah righty,

Could you recommend me an RDA for my mod? I will get my friend to teach me how to do everything on Thursday when I see him next.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I’m not sure if “a lot of knowledge” is really accurate especially if you use prebuilt coils. Wicking an RTA can be fairly exacting depending on the particular atty. watching a build video is usually enough though.
I say that so that people will look more into what they are getting in to before they go buy the hot new gear and coils at the shop without knowing what they want to get out of it or how to use it.
Rebuilding is easy. But it can be a pain if you Don't know what to expect.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Could you recommend me an RDA for my mod? I will get my friend to teach me how to do everything on Thursday when I see him next.
Everyone will have their personal preferences. I haven't really used my RDA's for a couple of years so I can't really recommend one of the newer models available today. I can suggest features to look for, though.

• Lots of open space on the build deck which can accomodate multiple coils or larger coils.
  • A deeper juice well to accomodate more wick and e-liquid.
  • Simple and easy to use posts to connect your coils to.
  • An RDA design which has a wide variety of air flow options.
The Velocity is my favorite which has all of the above attributes, but it is no longer being manufactured. There are still clones available.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Most RDAs will work with that Mod. I am sure you will get a lot of recommendations of RDA's. Find an inexpensive one to try out. There are dual coil, single coil and mesh coil RDAs. Best to start with single coil but then most dual coil RDAs can be used with one coil in them too.

Personally I like the Drop RDA
DROP RDA - Digiflavor
Digiflavor-DROP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread