Newb question on RBA and compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftofCenter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2014
Front Royal, VA, USA
Hi all, still in my research phase before I start into the world of RBAs. Am I correct in my understanding that I can use most any rba with a 15 watt device if I keep the coil build at 1.8 ohm or higher?

Sorry for the beginner status here, but I want to be sure I am understanding everything before I even attempt to jump in the waters.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Actually, it depends on a few things. Likely, your VW device has a lower resistance limit built into it... probably a good bit lower than 1.8Ω - more in the neighborhood of 1.0Ω~1.3Ω.

With only 15 watts, you'll want to run 30 or 32 gauge wire, if your builds will be dual parallel. Thicker wire will reduce the heat flux (coil temperature) considerably.
For example, a 28 gauge dual parallel coil build at 1.2Ω will have a HF of only 55 mW/mm², while a 32 gauge dual parallel build at the same resistance will have a much warmer HF of 223 mW/mm².

In a single coil build... you can use 26 or 27 gauge and thinner, with good results. Refer to my sigline hyperlink to "Steam Engine", which will allow you to optimize a build, best suited to your current output limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread