Newbe! Would love a recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacquelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
California
I am so happy to have found this site. I have been lurking for a few weeks now! You will probably hear from me frequently with questions, and then once I learned and gain all the wisdom the vets ,hopefully I will be able to pass on my knowledge as well.

Back story I have been a heavy smoker, Parliament lights 1-3 packs a day for 13 years (I am 27). I recent was diagnosed with a high grade severe back condition called spondylolisthesis. Which showed up out of thin air. (seriously) no trauma or prior back ache or symtoms I may or may not need surgery for it ( that all depends on how my symtoms develop). Right now to aviod surgery. I am doing everything in my power to stay as heathly as I can. Which means giving up smoking asap! Which brings me up to my questions.

I I currently use different brands of kr808-d I like them been using them for about a month, I still smoke cigarettes though. I am giving myself till the end of the month to stop. I want something else to trade off with. I have already tried joye ego and 510 and 510-t as well as the inferno,they made my mouth numb. I know it wasn't the liquids, I tried a lot of different brands from an actual vapor shop! Also it did not give me the throat hit that I wanted I really wasn't satisfied with them. If I was't loving those, What would you recommend. I want something that is not a big hassle, easy to use in your car ( I drive 8-10 hours a day for work/Sales rep). I have also tried green smoke, smoke relief, never light again, square, eco.

What I need is something that will
provide a hard throat hit
lot of vapor and
not die after long use.
I usually hit for 5-15 seconds so I need something where the atty can handle that as well
easy to use in a car

This forum is wonderful but is overloaded with post about information. It it so hard to figure out where to start. I have read about echo, gogo, igo. riva.and so on. I also have no idea what single coal vs double coal is.
Please send me on the right path so I don't continue to throw away my hard earned money ( I have a whole lot of medical bills I need to pay Lol) . Also please provide any tips you have learned over the years. Also the best deals or coupon codes I also can look for myself if you provide me with the website on where to purchase the product.

If you have a product you love please let me know, and why as well as where you purchased it from.
I look forward to chatting with you all
Jacquelyn

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Hi Jacquelyn,

I'll tell you my experience and maybe it will help. Started w/ a cigarette clone model from the mall = battery life was terrible. Next kit was Rivas - a good 6 hours each battery and a decent kit w/ the ability to modify/upgrade - very decent purchase. Next was a Reo Mini which I adored as it was a bottom feeder (no refilling/topping off - holds 3ml i think). Moved now to a 5 v which is stronger and more satisfying to me. Ultimately, if I had to do it over, I would get a vv mod. It's all a matter of preference and you will have to decide for yourself what is most important to you.

My opinion, rechargable, removable batteries are a plus as you can keep a number of them on hand and you may want to look into a passthrough that can plug into your car cigarette lighter adapter.

Still learning, here, so other members please feel free to correct me if there is something I've missed

Last edited:

VaprMade

Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
Arizona
Hi Jacquelyn! What mg strength juice are you vaping? That may help in your search for more throat hit. My suggestion would be some sort of a "Feeder Mod", or carto's. It all depends on whats going to help you quitting analogs so I would check out the vendors on here and see what grabs at ya. I began with a roughstack from madvapes after my first 510 kit. It has a maxi version which supports 3.7 and 6 volt vaping, has a 510 connection so you can use 510 atty/cartos on it as well as 306's, it has a user serviceable switch that isn't complicated, plus for under 100 dollars it has incredible value.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
.........What I need is something that will
provide a hard throat hit
lot of vapor and
not die after long use.
I usually hit for 5-15 seconds so I need something where the atty can handle that as well
easy to use in a car...................Jacquelyn

Based on how you smoke or smoked and what you are looking for, I will give you two recommendations that are two of the best PV's (personal vaporizers) on the market. You definitely, based on your comments, should look at a good 5 volt or variable volt model. You will get warmer vapor, good to outstanding battery life and much better consistency.

Throat hit is made up primarily of two things: nicotine strength and warmth of the vapor (5 volt or variable volt batteries). You should probably consider upping your nicotine strength to 24mg or even 36mg if you are not there already which will help the throat hit.

In the 5 volt category, probably the best one on the market is the 5 volt GLV2. It comes with a lifetime warranty and has hundreds of very satisfied users. Here is where you can get one:

5 volt GLV2: Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor

For variable volt (actually it is a regulated power PV as it adjusts wattage) one of the best is the Darwin. It actually automatically adjusts the heat provided to the atty or carto to however you initially set it up with just a turn of the small adjustment wheel. It also uses "regulated boost circuit" technology so as the battery drains there is no loss in power to the atty or carto which provides excellent consistency. Plus it doubles as a pass-through so you can vape and charge at the same time. However, with regular resistence attys/cartos, you will get 21+ hours on a charge. I know, because I too I'm a heavy vaper. So unless you vape 24 hours straight, you will be just fine charging it once a night.

Darwin: Nhaler

Darwin Review: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ressions-newest-pre-production-prototype.html

Good Luck and Welcome

Last edited:

Boodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2011
Las Vegas, NV, USA
altcig.com
Pardon the paste. Here's how I answered that question a few days ago:

After buying mod after expensive mod North of $100 each I was shocked at the performance of a kit under $50. You mentioned that vapor isn't like smoke. It can be if you have the right equipment. I certainly agree with you that the harshness in pre-filled cartomizers isn't like a cigarette. Thick, warm vapor that fills your mouth that you can feel with a mellow, flavorful taste and smooth smoke-like experience is what most of us want. A KGO will deliver that. It's an upgraded eGo - type ecig with more voltage (harder hit) and more mAh (battery lasts much longer). The kits are $42 to $46 depending on the vendor you choose. With shipping they're all about the same. KGOs can take the stress of the new (LR) low resistance supplies. That's very important. The low resistance supplies offer a warmer cigarette-like vape. The biggest difference in the KGO is that the battery hits the same on your first vape as a vape 5 hours later. Most batteries in the "Fat Batt" class slowly fade in performance starting with your first vape and diminish over the day giving you less and less satisfaction. With the higher voltage, higher mAh and steady performance it's the best in class imo.

KGO vendors
Hoosier E Cig Supply (use code 5off at checkout for 5% discount)
BreezEsmokes
Dark City Vapor

Other things to heighten your experience:
Low Resistance cartomizers 1.25 to 2.0 will give you a warm to very warm vape. The lower the number the warmer the vape. I suggest very warm (1.25 to 1.8ohm) for tobaccos and non-sweet flavors and 2.0 cartomizers for sweets and fruit flavors (less heat). YMMV
510 Drip Tip - put it on the end of your cartomizer in place of the plastic plug for a better vape and it's easy to pop off when you need to add juice. They're about a buck to wildly priced. You pay for cute. They function the same.
Juice With craves hitting you upping your nic level might help. If you like sweets and bakery juices, KickBassVapor.com is among the ginormous favorites around here. If you're looking for tobacco flavors, Halo, BackwoodsBrew, and AVE have popular tobaccos.

Whatever you choose I hope you're vaping happy and satisfied soon.

Animeguy

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Virginia
I used to work at sev and I would smoke all the different brands of cigs they sell and also the new ones that came in all paid for myself. I'd buy a different pack every other day if I don't like it I'd just give it to the next customer that buys the same pack.
One day I decided to try parliament lights. I thought I just bought me a rejected pack of cigs lol. The recessed filter threw me off.
Right now I vaping with VV with 2.8ohm atty. For me there is no other way than to drip. I drive at least 2 hrs a day I am used to the drip and drive. I don't see it much different from lighting a cig while you drive. TH and Vapor is nice at 5v-5.5 with 2.8 atty. I tried the Hybrid 510 atty @2.5 ohm and vaped that at 4.8-5 volts. That TH is great and the vapor is warm. Nice but I do not think I truly mastered that atty yet. So far it cost me 60 bucks for 3 atty. And I have only 1 left so I using that off and on. It is the best atty I used when I hit it correctly. I will be getting a couple more when I get money. I just spent 80 bucks today on diy stock. I think I will get the 1.5 hybrid and build a simple 3.7 box or find the one that is already made that is somewhere in my truck.

I get my atty at Avid Vaper : Electronic Cigarettes, E-Liquid and Accessories As for vv box I used the links from the http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/191607-easy-okr-t-vv-mod.html thread. And 3.7 box can be bought at madvapes
I started out with Volcano Inferno. (Ego Clone) Its nice to start with but not enough volts for me. I do leave the passthru in truck in case both my vv box die on me while I am working.

MasonD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2011
Our United States
Well, I love my Hog Mod.

Mods can be intimidating at first, but you may just end up there, anyhow. There is an initial investment for batteries, charger, and of course the mod itself... but once you have these, you're good to go.

There are others, but I'm gonna plug the Hog, because they're affordable, and gorgeous (pics don't do justice).

Long story short: this is a mod you don't have to mess with at all over the course of the day, well built, and real easy to use in a car for sure.

Short story long: If you do decide to go with a bottom-feed mod, you're gonna need to know all of this anyhow, eventually, so...

With any bottom feeder, you squeeze a little bottle full of juice (holds about 6 mils worth), every now and again to keep whatever you have on top of it wet. I use a 2.0 ohm carto on top of mine, so I only have to feed it every so often; if you have an atty on top, you have to pay a bit more attention, feeding it more often. With your concern for driving, you definitely want cartos, 'cause you don't have to feed them so often.

Throat Hit: I find the throat hit @ 2.0 ohms good-- almost too much for me, but that's personal preference. You can get a lower rated carto for more throat hit. These have been highly recommended in that department (I haven't tried them, myself... I'm gonna go for these for my go-to). Also, he makes a variable voltage Hog, so you can, literally, amp it up. Others make variable voltage mods, as well. What you really are looking for, though, is wattage: how much power the coil is actually applying to produce the vapor-- here's a good chart (if you right-click on the chart in that link, and open in a new window, it's easier to see). Most people like between 7 & 9 watts. Also, the nicotine level has a lot to do with TH: the higher mg/ml, the more TH.

Lots of Vapor: That's gonna depend on your wattage, but more than that, on your juice. The higher the VG ratio of the juice, the more visible vapor. However, TH will be somewhat dulled, and people report a muting of flavor, as well. Personally, I find a higher VG gives me a bit of oiliness in my lungs as well-- nothing even remotely close to cigarettes, but noticeable when chain-vaping nonetheless. On my Hog I run 85/15 pg/vg, and I find it pretty satisfying, but again, personal preference.

Not Die After Long Use: With mods, you get to choose your battery life. Here's an important link on batteries (don't let it intimidate you, though). I chose to invest in a very good battery (AW 2900mah (milliamp hours) 18650)-- I've never worried about it dying. I haven't done a long-drain test, but I'm sure a battery will last me well over 2 days of vaping ( I vape between 3-6 mils/day ). For my part, I have two batts, and I rotate every night; the shorter drain/charge cycle promotes longevity to any lithium-ion battery.

Usually Hit For 5-15 Seconds...: Once you go over 3.2 volt vaping (that's what the eGo is rated at...), you may find that that will change! Seriously, though... this will depend on you carto or atty. I find that I usually pull for around 7 seconds, and then take another right after, at about the same. Well, shucks... I guess that puts me at around 15 seconds, myself! Heh. Anyhow, the key to longevity is to keep your carto wet. Not soaked, so much, but wet... you'll get the hang of it pretty quick, though. Still, cartos last less long than do atties, but they are more convenient by far.

Easy to Use in a Car: You can feed the carto with the feeder without looking, after you get the hang of it. Basically, you take a pull without firing it, while squeezing the bottle (get a load of this: the technical term for squeezing the bottle is "squonking"), and you can tell when you've got juice into the carto. That gets the top wet. Then, you squeeze a little more without sucking on it, to wet the bottom. (no real way to write that one without it sounding kinda dirty....). Sounds way more complicated than it is: it's basically a feel thing, which you can get the knack of right quick. Also: the Hog Mod does not leak.

One more thing, on Throat Hit & Battery Life: In the Hog (as well as other mods), you can change the voltage by changing your batteries. For example, there's this 5 volt battery for 5 volt vaping (battery life is short, though...), or you could stack two 18350's for 7.4 volt vaping.

That was a lot, but after trying all of those entry-level PV's with no satisfaction, you should probably get a mod. And, though I highly recommend the Hog Mod because they're small-ish, well built, and inexpensive, all of this applies to bottom-feeding mods generally. Oh, the Hog is made of wood.

Anyhow, I'd recommend a mod. After the initial investment of a mod, the batteries, and charger, and once you settle on your juices and cartos, then the expense/month can be really quite low (especially if you DIY your own juices, which is a whole nother novel, at the rate I'm writing this morning...), which I see is a concern for you.

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Last edited:

Della Cirque

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2011
Deep East Texas
I'm still pretty new, so I will leave the advice for the more experienced. However, I just wanted to say hang in there. I am having spinal fusion surgery next September...quit smoking was at the top of the list of things to do from my surgeon. Never could have done it without ecigs and this forum!
Welcome to ECF!

Caseyjp

Aug 23, 2011
A, A
I will second boodle on the KGO. I'm using a LR306 atty with cisco dripshield. Tested and enjoyed it on my expensive Alpha (altsmoke) with 14500 batteries. Moved the LR over to a KGO battery just to see...and am frankly shocked at the difference. The KGO is kicking the snot out of the 14500 bats at less than 1/2 the price. The KGO batteries are just flat out awesome in my book. :)

Macroerror

Sep 5, 2011
Iowa
After reading multiple threads, watching various you-tube.
reviews as of now this is MHO..

Volt - Smokelessimage.com. Best beginners ecig
Elite 808- Cigeasy.com. . Next step up that gives you longer batt life and stronger vape.
Go-go - Gogousa.com. Great mod. Batt life, cart life and capacity, and vape experience, cost and simplicity.
Provari - Provape.com. Variable voltage, more expensive, rock solid quality and service.
Go for it! You will succeed! I've been vaping on a v2 ecig for over a month and have no desire for analogs.
I have a lot of irons in the fire (moving business), but as soon as that is accomplished, that will become my vaping expedition.
As I aquire and try each out I will let you know how it goes.

rkelly

Oct 10, 2011
Chicago IL
I totally thought that I needed more throat hit, but actually found my perfect spot by increasing the nic mg's. What are you currently using? I was a Parliment smoker and was told that 11mg would be comprable. Actually, it wasn't even close. I found that going almost double was necessary to satisfy my needs.

I'd recommend increasing the nic and seeing if that changes your situation.

judybr

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2010
Land of the Dragon, Western NC
Welcome Jacquelyn,

Looks like you have recieved some very good advice already.
I will agree though, nic strength can make a big difference in throat hit also. There are also some great devices that won't cost a fortune to use and do well for you. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and it just takes time to get where you are happy with what you have.
Good luck in your adventure, because that is what this is!
Judy

jacquelyn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2011
California
Thank You for the wonderful advice! I have been looking at all of the advice. A few of the sites were out of product. I am checking back this weekend, now that I got paid ( love paydays :). I really do love this site. You all are wonderful. So far it has My current Nic strength is between 18-24 mg. I tried 36 but funny thinkg is it actually gave me a head change not sure how. It may be to strong.I am very lucky to have a vapor store close to my house. Too bad it is way over priced. But it is nice to be able to try out a lot of products. I do like that I can grab a atty or juice or anything quick if I run out right away.

Also has anyone tried the echo? Whould that one be a good one

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
The echo is similiar to an ego except the battery is bigger and it's a KR808 connection. If you didn't like the ego (not sure I understand what you didn't like) the echo is a similiar vape.

If the ones you mentioned you've tried didn't do it for you, a mod would be the best option for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread