Newbie Into RTA: what Ohm target should I aim for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree with the above. Actually, if using a regulated mod, coil resistance is irrelevant, you just adjust the power setting to suit your taste regardless of the coil resistance. 1.0 ohm is an ideal, safer, target resistance for a beginner to start building their own coils.

On a mechanical mod, its a different story. A mech has an extremely limited power range, so resistance becomes relevant. One must create a build which complies with the battery amp limit they are using using Ohm's Law. However, too high of a resistance will result in an unsatisfying experience; too low and it can become dangerous. There's a strict and narrow "safer" resistance range with a mechanical, thus they are not recommended to newer vapers.

Last edited:

vapemate93

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2016
I agree with the above. Actually, if using a regulated mod, coil resistance is irrelevant, you just adjust the power setting to suit your taste regardless of the coil resistance. 1.0 ohm is an ideal, safer, target resistance for a beginner to start building their own coils.

On a mechanical mod, its a different story. A mech has an extremely limited power range, so resistance becomes relevant. One must create a build which complies with the battery amp limit they are using using Ohm's Law. However, too high of a resistance will result in an unsatisfying experience; too low and it can become dangerous. There's a strict and narrow "safer" resistance range with a mechanical, thus they are not recommended to newer vapers.
Yeah tbh I don't know what the deal is about people liking macanical mods, do they even do anything better? I'm not being biast I'm just curious.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yeah tbh I don't know what the deal is about people liking macanical mods, do they even do anything better? I'm not being biast I'm just curious.
I have both and used both. I like both. I rarely use my mechs any more because I like to adjust my power settings throughout the day, on the fly. You can't do that on a mech.

Having said that, there are a minority of vapers who prefer to use mechanicals exclusively:

• Agree
Reactions: Asbestos4004

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Hmm I guess I need more practice I hit 0. 75ohm lol still a nice vape. Anyway I've used my mini berserka tank for first time and I'm blown away buy it. This tank will get anyone of smokes, super tank.
.75 with SS wire will be a great build. Well done, sir! :thumbs:

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I generally use squonkers. By design, squonkers aren't the most leak proof devices you'll find. Granted, they're not SUPPOSED to leak, but you have 7+/- mls of juice in a plastic bottle inside the box. These bottles can split or crack...maybe the cap doesn't make a perfect seal....anything can happen. I don't want any of the above to happen right next to my electronics. So, I run mods with no electronics. As a bonus, a mechanical squonker is smaller. It's also bulletproof. I can make new contacts, swap out 510's.... basically do anything I need to do to keep it working.
I run some rtas at home and definitely prefer regulated mods for those. With my mechs, I run builds that give me exactly the vape I want and at the end of a 7ml bottle, my battery is at 3.7-3.8 volts. I swap cells when I refill. Simple

Maybe worth adding...if any of the afore mentioned accidents happen, I can simply rinse the mod in the sink, dry it off and go on about the day.

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Hmm I guess I need more practice I hit 0. 75ohm lol still a nice vape. Anyway I've used my mini berserka tank for first time and I'm blown away buy it. This tank will get anyone of smokes, super tank.

I do 0.75 a lot and I MTL on a RTA. It's not a bad place for a mech either if you want to get into that eventually.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium

They are very simple and durable. With that being said I wouldn't recommend one to anyone who isn't completely comfortable and knowledgeable. It's something to think about down the road if you want to try it.

• Agree
Reactions: Asbestos4004
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread