Newbie MOD learning, what to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superstarsticky

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
This is true only if you have four coils truly in parallel. Most I've seen have four coils in the build but still have two true current paths and each path has two coils each. Basically you have dual "series coils." Ignore all these related posts for a standard dual coil build Lol. It will just confuse you.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Good advice cause I still didn't recognize anything you just said till I read 'Ignore all these related posts for a standard dual coil build Lol."
:p

InDaCloud

Jan 31, 2014
Hawaii
Although the intent is genuine, all this complicated math is getting way off what he needs to begin making safe builds. Later, he can try doing mental calculations as he becomes more experienced. He just needs and ohms meter and an ohm's law calculator. His Sony 30A should be able to handle anything 0.3 ohms and above. I personally don't like to test the limits of my battery's amp draw. Just make sure to check for shorts, and make sure your connections are solid (tighten and retighten after test firing). Since you're doing this on your own, youtube RipTrippers and GrimmGreen for some good quality build videos.

Here is my method of setting up dual coil builds:
Before I even start, I have an idea of what my target resistance will be. Also, if using a multimeter, check and factor in the resistance of the meters leads by touching the two probes together and subtracting that reading amount from your future resistance measurements.

1) Wrap a single coil that I want to try a dual build on.
2) Set it up on an RDA without a mod attached (checking for shorts and good contact).
3) Check the ohms on a meter. Realize that the resistance on the first coil will be presently double (higher) the resistance of the dual coil at the end of the build
4) If the ohms are steady, place the RDA on a mod and tweak and test fire the coil.
5) Check the ohms again on a meter.
6) Create a duplicate of the first coil and install on the opposite post(checking for shorts and good contact).
7) Test fire and tweak the coils until they look and glow evenly. Tighten the posts again.
8) Check the ohms on a meter again. Realize that the ohms should now be half (lower) of the reading of the single coil.
9) If the ohms are acceptable, use the ohm's law calculator to check the amp drain.
10) Wick it, juice it up and fire it (cap off) facing away from your face.
11) If everything looks good, put the cap on, and take a small mouth hit to get a feel for the heat and taste.
12) If all is good, vape away!

Last edited:
I've been vaping for about a month now. And iLL just piLe on to this guy's thread. XD

I've tried making 2 coiLs using one wire. (basicaLLy made a coiL, and spLit it in 2, connected to just 1 negative and the positive post. I didnt thread the wire through to the other side).. worked for me..

the question I have is, how different is it compared to a coiL that I didnt spLit up? (amp draw?)

more importantLy, is this a stupid idea? :confused:

roadie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Southern CA
I've been vaping for about a month now. And iLL just piLe on to this guy's thread. XD

I've tried making 2 coiLs using one wire. (basicaLLy made a coiL, and spLit it in 2, connected to just 1 negative and the positive post. I didnt thread the wire through to the other side).. worked for me..

the question I have is, how different is it compared to a coiL that I didnt spLit up? (amp draw?)

more importantLy, is this a stupid idea? :confused:

So you have a single coil, that is split into 2 series coils? Not sure I see the benefit of doing that......................you would have a total resistance over the 2 coils in series added together, and the amp draw calculated from that. Do they heat evenly?

Last edited:
So you have a single coil, that is split into 2 series coils? Not sure I see the benefit of doing that......................you would have a total resistance over the 2 coils in series added together, and the amp draw calculated from that. Do you they heat evenly?

Yeah.. one coiL they heat evenLy (Light up at the same time).. I did it mainLy because I thought it wouLd accumuLate gunk up a Lot Less as opposed to just one coiL that I didnt spLit up. I recentLy tried a fruity juice, which totally gunked up my coiL and wick, im using cotton btw.

when I did measure the resistance of the coiL, before and after I spLit them.. they were pretty much the same If I remember correctLy. was around the 2.2ohm range.. it does take a bit Longer to heat up though, the unspLit coiL Lit up pretty much instantLy throughout the coiL when I fired it without the wick.. and the spLit coiL took maybe Like maybe haLf a second before it did Light up.

sooo.. does this mean I stress my battery pretty much the same as when I didnt spLit the coiL?

roadie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
Southern CA
Yeah.. one coiL they heat evenLy (Light up at the same time).. I did it mainLy because I thought it wouLd accumuLate gunk up a Lot Less as opposed to just one coiL that I didnt spLit up. I recentLy tried a fruity juice, which totally gunked up my coiL and wick, im using cotton btw.

when I did measure the resistance of the coiL, before and after I spLit them.. they were pretty much the same If I remember correctLy. was around the 2.2ohm range.. it does take a bit Longer to heat up though, the unspLit coiL Lit up pretty much instantLy throughout the coiL when I fired it without the wick.. and the spLit coiL took maybe Like maybe haLf a second before it did Light up.

sooo.. does this mean I stress my battery pretty much the same as when I didnt spLit the coiL?

I would think that split or unsplit you have the same amount of wire and resistance, but with the split it's taking a slightly different path. Probably negligible if anything. Can't you dry burn after removing the cotton wick before replacing and that removes all the gunk build up?

superstarsticky

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2014
Gilbert, Arizona, United States
Although the intent is genuine, all this complicated math is getting way off what he needs to begin making safe builds. Later, he can try doing mental calculations as he becomes more experienced. He just needs and ohms meter and an ohm's law calculator. His Sony 30A should be able to handle anything 0.3 ohms and above. I personally don't like to test the limits of my battery's amp draw. Just make sure to check for shorts, and make sure your connections are solid (tighten and retighten after test firing). Since you're doing this on your own, youtube RipTrippers and GrimmGreen for some good quality build videos.

Here is my method of setting up dual coil builds:
Before I even start, I have an idea of what my target resistance will be. Also, if using a multimeter, check and factor in the resistance of the meters leads by touching the two probes together and subtracting that reading amount from your future resistance measurements.

1) Wrap a single coil that I want to try a dual build on.
2) Set it up on an RDA without a mod attached (checking for shorts and good contact).
3) Check the ohms on a meter. Realize that the resistance on the first coil will be presently double (higher) the resistance of the dual coil at the end of the build
4) If the ohms are steady, place the RDA on a mod and tweak and test fire the coil.
5) Check the ohms again on a meter.
6) Create a duplicate of the first coil and install on the opposite post(checking for shorts and good contact).
7) Test fire and tweak the coils until they look and glow evenly. Tighten the posts again.
8) Check the ohms on a meter again. Realize that the ohms should now be half (lower) of the reading of the single coil.
9) If the ohms are acceptable, use the ohm's law calculator to check the amp drain.
10) Wick it, juice it up and fire it (cap off) facing away from your face.
11) If everything looks good, put the cap on, and take a small mouth hit to get a feel for the heat and taste.
12) If all is good, vape away!

Thank you for this! This was like an exact repeat of how I do start to build all the way to testing (as long as I have my buddies ohm reader/calc available) Feels good to know that I have been being cautious, and repeating the right steps.

Thanks man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread