Newbie Post: Silver Bullet and the Vivi Nova

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbtMonster

May 13, 2012
Denver, CO
Hi Everybody! This is my first post on ECF, glad to finally be part of the conversation! E-cigs rule!

So basically my question concerns the Silver Bullet by AltSmoke and the new Vivi Nova tank. I'm currently vaping at 3.7v and I'm not at all satisfied with the tank. I'm not sure if it's the liquid, the resistance, or the voltage I'm vaping at, but the taste and vapor production are just nothing to be excited about.

I made the switch from atty to tank because I hate dripping when I drive, and I love to vape when I'm on the road. But I find myself constantly going back to dripping because the SmokTech 1.5 ohm LR's generally put out very thick and flavorful vapor. I felt that the coil head on the Vivi should do the same, but all I get is this weird, bland tasting vapor that's about half of what I get out of the atty. I filled up on Virgin Vapor's Vanilla Latte this morning, and it tasted like, cardboard... I can't taste the bright flavor notes in other liquids either. The only one I've had true luck with was Liqua, a 50/50 bright tobacco at 18mg. Still, the vapor production could be better, but the flavor is pretty decent.

I also have the same issue with Fluxomizers. Vapor production is so so, and I'm getting too much cart taste (plastic). Do I need to increase the voltage to 6 and utilize the 2.4 or 2.8 ohm coil head on the Vivi? Should I look into a 5v mod? Thanks everybody, long live the vapor!

Vapor2112

Atty Baller - Level 2
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Virgin-ia
When did you get the ViVi tank?
There are several versions of this out. I only had the first, but also experienced similar flavor (or lack thereof). They're not completely out in the wild yet, but it sounds like the newer versions are much better.
A lot of people are enjoying the "stardusts" as well which while not my favorite, are still very simple and tasted better than the ViVi's first version.
Hopefully you're poking around in the forums to look at comments / feedback / reviews of the MANY options that are available for us to choose from.
Much of what you'll hear is obviously based on personal preference, and for better or worse, you'll need to find yours as well. Unfortunately, there is no silver bullet here so read around, ask questions, enjoy, and good luck!

AbtMonster

May 13, 2012
Denver, CO
I got the Vivi in May. Seems like it must be a pretty fresh version. I just really like how easy they are to clean and fix, as well as the durability factor. And even on 3.7v, the coil head will give a little growling so I know it's firing properly. But yeah, I have to find more members who've used the Vivi with 5v+ mods. I'm having a little better luck now with this 50/50 macerated tobacco blend at 12mg from GoodEJuice, but I know that the atomizer can still achieve way better flavor profile and vapor production.

I get somewhat better vapor production, and great flavor, out of my SmokTech 1.5 ohm DCT, but the Vivi's design is so darn cool. GIVE ME GOOD VAPOR VIVI!

I've heard good things about the Stardust eGo Tank, but I think it's only compatible with the 510 eG0. The Stardust was my choice after the Vivi.

Vapor2112

Atty Baller - Level 2
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2010
Virgin-ia
The 2.5's are supposed to have corrected this problem, we'll find out shortly so don't give up yet!
As for the stardusts, many places sell eGo-510 adapters, only a few dollars and they do the job well. I've used them on the ProVari Mini.
Carto's are a very love or hate it topic as well. I'm not the biggest fan of cartos in general, but when I use them I love the tanks from Mom & Pop's Vapor shop. Inexpensive and very effective: Mom & Pop Vapor Shop Accessories

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
The Vivi Nova 2 really only became available in May and there were still a lot of V1's being shipped by certain vendors.
There really is a significant difference between the V1 and V2s in terms of flavor and draw.

Locate the air holes on your unit. Are they in the battery connector or in the knurled edge of the bottom plate?

I use the 2.8ohm head on a VV at about 4-4.5V, so you don't need a lot of power for these. Definitely 5V is too warm for the stock heads. The head resistances read low also, by about 0.3-0.4 ohms. My 2.8ohm head metered at 3ohms. That could also be part of the problem for you, and hopefull it was addressed by the coil changes on the V2.5s. I'll know in a few days if these are more accurately labeled for resistance.

I used the Fluxomizers straight out of the box but, recently, some folks have complained of tastes that indicate some the need to clean them. Newer users have noticed primer that needs to be washed out before first use. Also, check the plug seal for any scorched spots and make sure the coil isn't sitting high in the cup. You might also want to trim the little lip on the underside of the cup if it's being scorched and producing a plasticky taste.

I haven't had any trouble with Fluxos and couldn't be happier with them, but manufacturing consistency isn't Chinas' strong suit. Unless silicone is being burnt, there 's really nothing in a Fluxo to produce a plastic taste. The tubes are practically impervious to leeching from juice and far better then what the Stardusts use, in that respect. Clean them first and run through a tank to break them in and they should be working good. With a 3.7V battery, I'd stick to the 2.1-2.4ohm range for best results. I'm using the 2.6-2.8ohm version and rarely go over 4.5v with them. Neither the Vivi or the Fluxo are really high voltage devices and a fixed 5V device would be a mistake with them, IMO.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
Flyer, I actually have the older version of the Vivi. The new design has a raised head and different wick set up. Hope you have a more enjoyable experience than I've been having!

We either cross-posted or I missed this. That is your entire problem with your Vivi. It's the same complaint that almost everyone had with them and the reason they were revised so quickly.

Do NOT judge the Vivi by the performance of the first version. The difference between V1 and V2 is night and day. I have never seen a revision to a device make such a quantum leap in performance. Even the difference between the Vision Stone V1 and V3 wasn't so pronounced, and that was 2 revisions over many months.

I would, and have, bought multiple Vivi Versions 2 or 2.5. I wouldn't give you $5 for a Version 1, except maybe to use the heads for re-coiling and re-wicking.

AbtMonster

May 13, 2012
Denver, CO
We either cross-posted or I missed this. That is your entire problem with your Vivi. It's the same complaint that almost everyone had with them and the reason they were revised so quickly.

Do NOT judge the Vivi by the performance of the first version. The difference between V1 and V2 is night and day. I have never seen a revision to a device make such a quantum leap in performance. Even the difference between the Vision Stone V1 and V3 wasn't so pronounced, and that was 2 revisions over many months.

I would, and have, bought multiple Vivi Versions 2 or 2.5. I wouldn't give you $5 for a Version 1, except maybe to use the heads for re-coiling and re-wicking.

Yep, it seems I didn't do my homework well enough before purchasing Vivi v.1. I was wondering why AltSmoke sent me 2 of these on May 16th, now it makes sense...

I'll have to check out v.2, although I only have a Silver Bullet, which isn't very adjustable, unless you get a kick, and those always seem to be sold out. That was my main issue I think at the getgo, the fact that I could only utilize 3.7v. I'm pretty bummed that I've only been successful with one accessory and that being the SmokTech 1.5 ohm atomizer, everything else has been subpar, even the Fluxomizers. I do think the primer is exactly was causing that taste, but vapor production still isn't what I want. And to boot, 3 out of the 5 atomizers I bought from SmokTech last week, basically didn't work (burned out on the first puff from only a couple of drops, flooded after a couple more drops). That's actually why I switched back to the Vivi and the DCT, and now I'm left unsatisfied. Know of any good LR atomizers or Tanks for a 3.7v mod? I've found the only atty's to be really worth it are bridged, vapor production seems lame with bridgeless.

bombshellECHO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2011
A, A
Ive been using my V1 on a kicked legacy but also use it on my 3.7v roughstack
The 2.4ohm head seems alright at 3.7 but the 1.8 shines for me. And unlike everyone else im quite happy with my v1. Though i havnt tried the v2 yet so i dont know what the difference is. But i have 2 on their way to me..
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
For dripping, there are several good LR atomizers. I have a BB, (smaller Silver Bullet) I use with LR atomizers for dripping. Availability of them is spotty, (Ikenvape.com, ecigCharleston.com), but the Ikenvape i06 and V2 Cannon work fantastic. These attys are about $9 and have lasted me a very long time, so far. Then, there's the HH357 from Avid Vapers. It's a bigger investment at about $20 or so, but is considered one of the best dripping atty's on the market.

I don't use cartomizers any more, but what you're experiencing with the Smoketech seems to be getting more common lately. The 1.7ohm Resurrector single coils have a good reputation but Smoketech's q.c. could use some improvment. Other than that, the Boge 2ohm are pretty reliable performers. They're not quite as warm, but IME Boge is more consistent and reliable than Smoketech. Recently, I've heard reports of Boge's q.c. slipping, but when I used cartos, I never got a DOA Boge or a Boge that died within a few days. And, I was using mostly 100% VG.

The other thing you can do is re-coil your Vivi. It's super easy to do and you can get wick and wire for pretty cheap. There are a couple of vids on Youtube that explain how to do it. If you knock your resistance down to 1.5ohms, you'll get a lot more life out of any of the Vivi kits.

I can almost guarantee you that, at 3.7V, the Vivi 2 with the 1.8ohm head will make you happy. Recoil the other included heads to a lower resistance and you'll have 3 good LR heads to use. Or, just buy replacement heads. Gotvapes has the Vivi 2.5 and replacement heads for only $1.49. Unfortunately they're limiting heads to one per order. Personally, I'll never bother with the altered taste and the hassle of a carto tank again.

AbtMonster

May 13, 2012
Denver, CO
Thanks for the posts everybody! I now know why this forum is so awesome!

@dnfamus and bombshell- do you know where I can find a kick for the SB? Altsmoke seems to always be out of those and I do feel that I might get the push I need to enjoy the V1 a little bit more. Some juices vape alright, some vape terribly. I vaped a gourmet Vanilla Latte out of the V1 and all I can taste is this weird sweet cardboard, which is beyond gross. I only use 1.8 ohms too, I tried the 2.4 ohm and it just doesn't work well with 3.7v. Will try the Big Daddy, looks super promising!

@neecean- Hope it rocks! Please let us know how it works out, I'll be buying one soon I think ;)

@Sailorman- I was actually talking about the SmokTech Low Resistance 1.5 ohm atomizers. I bought a 5 pack and only 2 truly worked. 2 of them wouldn't take liquid, so I'd get dry vapes on the first couple primer drops, then when I'd add more to refresh and get some solid vapor, the atty would flood and spit back. The other one just spits back and puts out half vapor, which totally ruins the experience. That's why I switched to the Vivi, but I've been so dissatisfied by the flavor, I'm now back to a dual coil atomizer I got a month ago from GoodEJuice.com. Still out performs the crappy SmokTech's, even after being used heavily for a while. I'd re wick the Vivi's I have but I just don't want to waste time if there overall design is messing things up.

The Ikenvape's look like they might do the job. How's the hit on the I06? Does the Cannon put out a lot of vapor, and how is the draw? I'll probably end up getting the HH357, as the vapor demonstrations looks real promising! But I wonder how well they'd work on 3.7v...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread