Not open for further replies.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Ok, so I'm trying to get educated on mechs before I get one and do something stupid. I've been building for a few months and have a basic understanding of ohms law and basic battery safety. I've decided that I want my first mech to be a squonk (at least I think that's what I've decided). I'm waiting for the Driptech from 528 customs to launch and it runs on two parallel 18650s and that's where my questions start.

Parallel is still 4.2 volts right? Also, with it running in parallel does that mean that the Amps double and allow for builds with lower resistance? Example: If I have a 0.2 build on a mech with 4.2 volts (before drop) I would be at 21 amps. Right? So if I have a single 18650 20 amp battery I would be exceeding the rating? Would parallel 18650s double my allowable amps?

Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to this. Before I started vaping 5 months ago I had heard of Ohms but that was about the extent of my knowledge. Being a finance guy didn't really prepare me for my new hobby.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It's still 4.2 volts. To the best of my understanding, amps and mAh are doubled. It will still drain like a regular mech mod, but you'll have longer run time, as far as I understand it, but you'll still get the drop in output. I believe you can run lower resistance coils more safely in that fashion, though you still have to give yourself some room for errorz.

I hope I've gotten this answer right! If not, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me....

Anna

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
It's still 4.2 volts. To the best of my understanding, amps and mAh are doubled. It will still drain like a regular mech mod, but you'll have longer run time, as far as I understand it, but you'll still get the drop in output. I believe you can run lower resistance coils more safely in that fashion, though you still have to give yourself some room for errorz.

I hope I've gotten this answer right! If not, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me....

Anna
Thanks Anna! Your explanation jives with most of the info I've read elsewhere but I am just trying to double check everything

Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Ok, so I'm trying to get educated on mechs before I get one and do something stupid. I've been building for a few months and have a basic understanding of ohms law and basic battery safety. I've decided that I want my first mech to be a squonk (at least I think that's what I've decided). I'm waiting for the Driptech from 528 customs to launch and it runs on two parallel 18650s and that's where my questions start.

Parallel is still 4.2 volts right? Also, with it running in parallel does that mean that the Amps double and allow for builds with lower resistance? Example: If I have a 0.2 build on a mech with 4.2 volts (before drop) I would be at 21 amps. Right? So if I have a single 18650 20 amp battery I would be exceeding the rating? Would parallel 18650s double my allowable amps?

Please forgive my ignorance when it comes to this. Before I started vaping 5 months ago I had heard of Ohms but that was about the extent of my knowledge. Being a finance guy didn't really prepare me for my new hobby.
Hi mate, Welcome
SAFER.jpg

Cheers
I

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
So when they are parallel the allowable amps is doubled?

Yes. That doesn't mean you HAVE to build way, way low, you can still reach dangerous areas if you are building with crazy low resistance. You just have more room to build in a safety margin and longer run-time if you don't go nutz with your resistance. For starting out on any kind of mech mod, I'd probably start on the higher side, just to get used to the whole thing.... You should be able to more closely approach a very low resistance coil, just you know, take it easy for a while and figure out how this whole deal works, would be my advice. If you are dying to go low, a two mech mod may be better. If you are intent on shredding the tires as you drive away, just be aware that two batteries venting is probably equally as unpleasant as one venting, only, you know, doubled. I can do that calculation fairly easily.... :) Best of luck, however!!!

Anna

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Yes. That doesn't mean you HAVE to build way, way low, you can still reach dangerous areas if you are building with crazy low resistance. You just have more room to build in a safety margin and longer run-time if you don't go nutz with your resistance. For starting out on any kind of mech mod, I'd probably start on the higher side, just to get used to the whole thing.... You should be able to more closely approach a very low resistance coil, just you know, take it easy for a while and figure out how this whole deal works, would be my advice. If you are dying to go low, a two mech mod may be better. If you are intent on shredding the tires as you drive away, just be aware that two batteries venting is probably equally as unpleasant as one venting, only, you know, doubled. I can do that calculation fairly easily.... :) Best of luck, however!!!

Anna

Shredding tires is far from my goal! I'm just trying to make sure that I err waaaay to the side of caution. I am approaching mechs the same way I approached motorcycles when I got my first street bike. I am afraid enough to always be cautious and respectful of what they are capable of.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Walter, you should head on over to the Mech forum where they have tons of info for you. Glad you are asking before buying. Happy Vaping:vapor:
Mech Mods

Funny you should recommend that because I'm currently reading a thread over there by another mech newbie who is asking for advice. Many thanks. You and the other members have shown an amazing willingness to help a humble newbie like myself and it is much appreciated

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Walter, you've got the answer you were looking for, but I just wanted to pop in to mention that you are going to want to ensure you have a way to check voltage on your batteries. It will be important to periodically confirm that your batteries are draining and aging in tandem. Especially when you first get your mech and batteries (don't forget you need to marry a fresh pair), any time after you disassemble to clean, and periodically if you don't clean constantly.

As mentioned, while the load is shared, it's generally wise to ensure your build won't exceed the CDR of a single cell just in case something happens.

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
Glad to see you popping up and asking questions sir!

Currently, I only run Parallel fully mechanical boxes. I usually cycle out my batteries every 6-8 months.
I use parallels because of the extended runtimes, I build with stainless/lower than cdr of 1 battery, and I like the form factor.

Most of my coils are simple multistrand parallel builds.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Walter, you've got the answer you were looking for, but I just wanted to pop in to mention that you are going to want to ensure you have a way to check voltage on your batteries. It will be important to periodically confirm that your batteries are draining and aging in tandem. Especially when you first get your mech and batteries (don't forget you need to marry a fresh pair), any time after you disassemble to clean, and periodically if you don't clean constantly.

As mentioned, while the load is shared, it's generally wise to ensure your build won't exceed the CDR of a single cell just in case something happens.

Thank you for the info. I plan on buying 2 new batteries when I finally get a mech. The two sets I have now for my Dripbox and Drag are sufficient for those regulated mods but they are getting a little age on them and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Will the reading from my digital charger work as a way way to check the voltage? It's an Efest LUC V4
Thanks again for the info and the advice

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Glad to see you popping up and asking questions sir!

Currently, I only run Parallel fully mechanical boxes. I usually cycle out my batteries every 6-8 months.
I use parallels because of the extended runtimes, I build with stainless/lower than cdr of 1 battery, and I like the form factor.

Most of my coils are simple multistrand parallel builds.

That's great to hear. I'm not planning on trying to build anything close to .1 or .2 I usually vape in single coil in the .4-.5 range and it's more than adequate for my needs.

Thanks for the help

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Series and parallel configurations both allow for higher watts, but the methods they use to achieve this are different.

In a PARALLEL setup, the voltage stays the same (technically it will be the average of the two cells, but the two cells should be identical so the "average" voltage is the same as each one individually), and the amp load is distributed evenly across both batteries. Each one only "feels" half the load, so that means you can essentially drive the pair twice as hard as a single-battery setup. This allows you to build coils with less resistance, and achieve higher wattage that way.

In a SERIES setup, the voltage is doubled (technically, they are added together but, again, since they should be identical to each other, adding them together is the same as doubling the value of either one), and the full amp load is "felt" by each cell individually. So while parallel allows you to build at lower resistances, series requires you to build higher. With double the voltage and double the resistance, the amp draw will stay the same (I = V/R ; doubling both V and R gives 2V/2R which is the same as V/R, which by definition = I) but twice the watts (if W = V*I, then doubling the V and keeping the same I as we've just demonstrated is the case, results in twice as big of a W value.)

In short: parallel allows you to build lower; series requires you to build higher.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Series and parallel configurations both allow for higher watts, but the methods they use to achieve this are different.

In a PARALLEL setup, the voltage stays the same (technically it will be the average of the two cells, but the two cells should be identical so the "average" voltage is the same as each one individually), and the amp load is distributed evenly across both batteries. Each one only "feels" half the load, so that means you can essentially drive the pair twice as hard as a single-battery setup. This allows you to build coils with less resistance, and achieve higher wattage that way.

In a SERIES setup, the voltage is doubled (technically, they are added together but, again, since they should be identical to each other, adding them together is the same as doubling the value of either one), and the full amp load is "felt" by each cell individually. So while parallel allows you to build at lower resistances, series requires you to build higher. With double the voltage and double the resistance, the amp draw will stay the same (I = V/R ; doubling both V and R gives 2V/2R which is the same as V/R, which by definition = I) but twice the watts (if W = V*I, then doubling the V and keeping the same I as we've just demonstrated is the case, results in twice as big of a W value.)

In short: parallel allows you to build lower; series requires you to build higher.

Great explanation! Many thanks for taking the time do share

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Will the reading from my digital charger work as a way way to check the voltage? It's an Efest LUC V4

I'm not familiar with that charger, but assuming a digital readout of the voltage, that's more than sufficient, yeah. I just pop my batteries into my Coilmaster Tab to check voltage.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread