Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuromantis

Mar 4, 2020
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I started vaping just two weeks ago, At first i tried a couple of premade juices and I did like them quite a lot, but since it's way cheeper and looks more fun and customizable i decided to get into the diy side of it and started buying quite a few flavours mostly from Capella, TPA, Inawera and Flavour Art. I am currently using a sub ohm tank and a dripper: Horizontech Falcon II and Wotofo Profile 1.5 and i really like the feeling and the puffs from those devices, my mod is a voopoo drag 2 and i'm using mesh coils. I mix by weight.

I noticed that some of the flavours i bought i can't really taste them, when i first bought them i tried to mix 30 ml for each flavour to see what they tasted like and know what to combine together. I don't know why but even after two weeks I can barely taste vanilla flavours, even if I smell at them i get just a hint of what the flavour should be like. Only one that i can smell properly is Inawera Vanilla, but i can't tell if it's vanilla or just sweet juice with CAP vanilla custard v2 and vanilla bean icecream, same with TFA French Vanilla, Vanilla Creme, Vanilla Bean Icecream and Vanilla Swirl.

I made some mixes after that and I did like them, i made these recipes i found online that had the highest ratings and I think I am not getting the full flavour out of them:

Apple Butter
Apple Buttah
Butterscotch Custard
A Terkish Remix (butterscotch custard)
Coconut Icecream
thai coconut ice cream
Banana Split
Banana Split

I only tested the first three after almost two weeks of steeping, i steep them naturally by keeping them in a dark cool place and shaking them once a day if i remember.
I seem to get a muted flavour from them, The Butterscotch Custard at firts tasted quite intense and i got used to it pretty soon so now i can't really taste it, Coconut Icecream just tastes like sweet ejuice and Apple Butter (which i did with a lower dose of fuji like 2.7% instead of 4% as i've read it's really intense) i can taste the apple but i get just an hint of the other flavours.. Is it normal? I remember trying vaping a couple of years ago and getting this really vibrant vanilla flavour in my mouth and now everything tastes just slightly different or muted.

I did some research and already foundout about vaper's tongue, i think i may have had that because i was vaping this cotton candy and cinnamon flavour from big mouth and it was so intense that it was almost too much for me and after vaping that my mouth started to feel different for a couple of days, i bought some biotene to get extra hydration and i m drinking quite a lot of water, trying to avoid coffee and alchool but not getting much better results. I'd like to know if some of you have experienced similar issues and if you have any suggestions as it is getting quite frustrating. I stopped smoking two weeks ago and i still have a joint at times as i live in the netherlands and here is legal and i really don't want to start smoking cigarets again. The juices i made were 70/30 VG PG and now im makin them 65 35 as i read that more PG could bring more flavour.

Reactions: Marper

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I also avoid alcool. Alcohol however….the more the merrier!! :D :toast:

Given you have just quit smoking, perhaps some time to allow your taste buds to regenerate (for lack of better words) is needed.

Post the recipes and or percentages you are using. Others who have used these flavours could chime in with their experiences. This thread is also an excellent source for DIY, perhaps post your question there.

Random DIY mixing and More

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
thank you for the suggestion, I did include the link of the recipes i tried at the moment, i got them all from alltheflavours.com, I'll try to post my questions also on the other section of the forum, thank you a lot :)

You’ll need 5+ posts in order to post links.

Marper

Moved On
May 20, 2019
Hy and welcome, vanilla bean icecream, Bavarian cream, custards ect need a good few weeks of steeping, I only use my creams to calm down certain fruits I mix, as you say, some commercial juices are very strong and overwhelming and as you have only just started vaping give your flavour buds a good month to get used to it, DIY I find is less harsh and sometimes less flavour, you can always add a few more drops to get what you want but be careful, too much it will kill your mix

Reactions: Neuromantis

Neuromantis

Mar 4, 2020
These are the recipes i tried in detail:
1) Banana Split:
5% TFA Banana Cream
1,5% TFA Double Chocolate (Clear)
0,25% FA Meringue
2,5% INW Shisha Strawberry
5% TPA/CAP Vanilla Bean Icecream (made two batches with both types)
1% TPA Vanilla Swirl
1% FA Vienna Cream

2) Cinnamon Roll Apple Danish
6% CAP Cinnamon Danish Swirl
1% TFA Marshmallow
2.75% FA Fuji
1% CAP Vanilla Bean Icecream
1% TFA Vanilla Swirl
1% TFA Dragonfruit

3) Apple Buttah
2% CAP Butter Cream
0,5% FA Caramel
0,5% CAP Cinnamon Danish Swirl
2.75% FA Fuji
0,5% FA Liquid Amber
1% TFA/CAP Vannila Bean Icecream
1% CAP Vanilla Custard

4) Butterscotch Custard
3% FW Butterscotch Ripple
0,5% CAP Super Sweet
1.5% TPA Toasted Marshmallow
4% CAP Vanilla Custard

5) Thai Coconut Icecream
1.25% FA Caramel
1% FA Coconut
4% Vanilla Bean Icecream

6) Pistachio Boy
3% FW Butterscotch Ripple
2% TPA Pistachio
3% RY4 Asian
4% CAP Sugar Cookie
0,5% CAP SuperSweet
3% TPA Vanilla Swirl

The first two i haven't really tested yet since i just made them a couple of days ago, the other ones i did make them almost two weeks ago and tested them after a week and yes i got the impression that i was tasting all muted flavours, only ones that i could get a solid hint (and still not a very vivid and vibrant flavour) were 6) Pistachio Boy and 4) Butterscotch Custard, number 3) Apple Buttah tastes ok but i only feel the hint of a slightly spicy apple and not really vivid too. I don't know if i expect too much or if i need time for my tastebuds or if i m making mistakes. I'll definitely try to mix some of the same recipes in higher flavour percentages as suggested and see if i get a vibrant taste then :)

Neuromantis

Mar 4, 2020
Thank you for your suggestions, I see good to know that cream and custard flavour need more steeping as i thought i was mad XD i really can't taste any vanilla in all the 5 vanilla versions i have except from Inawera one, that i can smell and taste a bit of vanilla, i'll try them in a couple of weeks and see what happens, also very good to know that tastebuds need time to get used to vaping, I'll give them time and see if flavour gets better!

Marper

Moved On
May 20, 2019
I'm not saying you should do what I do but I tend to freelance my diy,I start with a 60ml bottle and put 30 to 40 ml base vg/pg and then I just add concentrate until I like it with a fingertip drip taste,I then top up to 50ml and add 10ml of 18mg nic to bring it up to 60ml, taste again and add more concentrate if necessary, just a few drops, leave for a few weeks or more depending on whether I've used creams. I don't particularly like following recipes as most have so many different concentrates. As I say, you will find your own best way to mix and good luck keeping off the stinkies.
I have followed recipes in the past but soon got fed up with the amount of different concentrates you have to have in stock.

Last edited:

Neuromantis

Mar 4, 2020
maybe i got too ambitious and started with complex recipes that for a newcomer are also more difficult to taste all the different shades of flavours? could you suggest me some good simple combinations that you like maybe? I can list my flavours if needed:
CAP:
Cinnamon Danish Swirl V1 and V2
Vanilla Custard V1 and V2
Vanilla Bean Icecream
Creamy Yoghurt
Raspberry v2
Sweet Guava
French Vanilla
Butter Cream
New York Cheesecake
Super Sweet
Sugar Cookie
Sweet Mango
Golden Pineapple

TFA:
Vanilla Swirl
DX Banana Cream
Banana Cream
French Vanilla Creme
Butterscotch
Double Chocolate Clear
French VAnilla II
RY4 Asian
Vanilla Bean Icecream
Strawberry
Strawberry Ripe
Dragonfruit
Pistachio
Whipped Cream
Coconut Candy

FlavourArt:
Liquid Amber
Caramel
Meringue
Fuji
Vienna Creme
Butterscotch
Coconut

FlavoourWest:
Butterscotch Ripple
Vanilla Bean Icecream
Hazelnut

INAWERA:
Shisha Vanilla
Shisha Strawberry
Shisha Banana
Shisha Apple
Cactus
Pineapple

I'll definitely try your method :)

Marper

Moved On
May 20, 2019
Yes, a lot of fruits can taste a bit funny on their own that's why I use a few different creams ,i do use a one shot mix called mint choc chip and it is a favourite of me and my bro and my son's, it's a uk manufacturer called puzzled vapes, used to be called vape hacks, most of the concentrate they make are best at 15 to 20 percent and I like most I've tried from them, but strawberry with vanilla by capella is nice and banana is nice with a bit of Bavarian cream and a nut flavour

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
First, let me say I’ve been diy for 6 years. You could be experiencing vaper’s tongue, but there are flavors I’ve never been able to taste, and others that never taste like what they’re supposed to.

I advise starting out with single flavor tests, small batches of 5-10 mls. There’s no way to know what went wrong if you don’t know what each of the flavors is like by itself. And there’s no point wasting 30 mls if it doesn’t go well.

The recommended amounts are just that, recommendations. I start lower than that, and add more as needed

I keep a detailed notebook too, so I can refer later and replicate good mixes.

I’m not a fan of recipes with more than 5-6 flavors. Most of my favorites are 3-4, and plenty are a single flavor with either some super sweet, or lately, a bit of menthol.

Some flavors will mute others. Some are better in a day, some takes weeks- vanillas all benefit from a good steep, in my experience.

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
Hey lupin, how you doing with the squeezer, I'm loving the wire you sent me .
just fine thank you. fits nicely in my overly large hands and have got used to the squonk hole.
i will, still, send that luna. it's been in my bag for a week.

#didn'tmeantoderailthethreadsorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread