Nic salt taste after a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

myasin

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Hello all,

Whenever I open and close the fill hole on the cartridge the taste is fresh for a while, and goes kind of different after 5-10 puffs. I open the fill cap again for a short period and let the pod gets some air and it tastes fresh again.

Am I doing something wrong? What is causing this and how can I avoid?

Can I have the same effect without the hassle? I tried blowing through the mouthpiece, drawing without activating the device but they did not help.

I am using smok Infinix, Minifit Justfog, and smok Nord 2 and all of them have the same situation. My nic salts are 35 mg and fruit flavored.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

myasin

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Hello @myasin, what is the VG/PG ratio of the liquid you're using? As it sounds as though your possibly having wicking issues, which is what happens when liquid is too thick or viscous.
Thanks for the answer. Both juices (Air Factory Crisp Apple and Candy King Peachy rings are 50/50.

I am suspecting chain vaping can be the reason, but I don't know why it gets briefly better after letting air inside the pod.

• Informative
Reactions: Mordacai

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Opening the pod or tank allows the air pressure to equalize, and then the liquid can be absorbed by the wicking of the coil.

But at 50/50 you shouldn't really be having issues like this really.

Do both your liquids have a lot of sweetness to them? As sweeteners can cause issues with coils as well, as it can form residues that clog up coils.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
That's a good question @myasin, as manufacturers don't put any ingredients lists on their products or websites.

So it's difficult to work out which ones will really kill coils quickly, as you don't know what sweeteners that they use. You can only find out from trial and error, mostly error if you have my luck.

The only way to really get around it and to keep costs down, but will take a bit of learning it to venture into rebuildable atomisers.

And for anyone with no experience I would probably say that RDTA's (Rebuildable Dripping Tank Atomisers) are worth considering. As they're one of the easiest types to work with and use.

As you can make a simple round wire contact coil out of Kanthal and use it for months, you just need change wicking (Cotton or Rayon) when you need to or want to.

Also it can save a fair amount of money in the long run, as drop in coils aren't exactly cheap.

• Informative
Reactions: myasin

myasin

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
That's a good question @myasin, as manufacturers don't put any ingredients lists on their products or websites.

So it's difficult to work out which ones will really kill coils quickly, as you don't know what sweeteners that they use. You can only find out from trial and error, mostly error if you have my luck.

The only way to really get around it and to keep costs down, but will take a bit of learning it to venture into rebuildable atomisers.

And for anyone with no experience I would probably say that RDTA's (Rebuildable Dripping Tank Atomisers) are worth considering. As they're one of the easiest types to work with and use.

As you can make a simple round wire contact coil out of Kanthal and use it for months, you just need change wicking (Cotton or Rayon) when you need to or want to.

Also it can save a fair amount of money in the long run, as drop in coils aren't exactly cheap.
Thanks, I will definitely look into that. What is the most reputable system for RDTA?I look shortly an saw RPM40 with a RDA. Do you think it is a good option. I am generally trying to go with commonly accepted models for finding support through community.

Is RDA same as RDTA?

Thanks.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
RDA's are similar to RDTA's @myasin, but they have some interesting differences.

But I was thinking that RDTA's would be of more interest to you, as they have a much larger reservoir which is like a tank. But you can also use them exactly the same as an RDA or Dripper.

Some RDTA's also have the ability to be used with what are called Squonk mods, that would allow you to refill an RDTA just by squeezing a liquid feed bottle on the Squonk mod.

An example of those is the Vandy Vape Pulse V2.

Pulse V2 BF 95W Box Mod | VANDY VAPE® Full Steam Ahead

But there's plenty to choose from on the market, that's if they interest you. The Hcigar VT Inbox would also be a good option, that's if you want something more higher end.

And an example of an RDTA, the Vapefly Galaxies MTL RDTA.

Galaxies MTL Squonk RDTA

Yet again, there's a lot of choice available.

Also this recently hit the market, but I'm not too sure as wether it may be a good fit for you. But it is interesting.

New arrival! VXV Soulmate RDTA/RDA Pod Cartridge Collection

And one good piece of advice that I could give you is try and avoid SMOK if possible, as they're not the most reliable mod/device manufacturer out there. And the last thing that I want is for another vaper to be without a working device and trying to get SMOK or their retailer to honour the warranty.

But we can at least come up with some ideas for you though.

• Winner

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello all,

Whenever I open and close the fill hole on the cartridge the taste is fresh for a while, and goes kind of different after 5-10 puffs. I open the fill cap again for a short period and let the pod gets some air and it tastes fresh again.

Am I doing something wrong? What is causing this and how can I avoid?

Can I have the same effect without the hassle? I tried blowing through the mouthpiece, drawing without activating the device but they did not help.

I am using Smok Infinix, Minifit Justfog, and Smok Nord 2 and all of them have the same situation. My nic salts are 35 mg and fruit flavored.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
If you are overloading a device, get another and split the workload.
The Nord with the some of RPM coils "should" keep up.
You could also try increasing your nicotine level to 50mg/ml or greater.

Cheers
I

myasin

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
RDA's are similar to RDTA's @myasin, but they have some interesting differences.

But I was thinking that RDTA's would be of more interest to you, as they have a much larger reservoir which is like a tank. But you can also use them exactly the same as an RDA or Dripper.

Some RDTA's also have the ability to be used with what are called Squonk mods, that would allow you to refill an RDTA just by squeezing a liquid feed bottle on the Squonk mod.

An example of those is the Vandy Vape Pulse V2.

Pulse V2 BF 95W Box Mod | VANDY VAPE® Full Steam Ahead

But there's plenty to choose from on the market, that's if they interest you. The Hcigar VT Inbox would also be a good option, that's if you want something more higher end.

And an example of an RDTA, the Vapefly Galaxies MTL RDTA.

Galaxies MTL Squonk RDTA

Yet again, there's a lot of choice available.

Also this recently hit the market, but I'm not too sure as wether it may be a good fit for you. But it is interesting.

New arrival! VXV Soulmate RDTA/RDA Pod Cartridge Collection

And one good piece of advice that I could give you is try and avoid SMOK if possible, as they're not the most reliable mod/device manufacturer out there. And the last thing that I want is for another vaper to be without a working device and trying to get SMOK or their retailer to honour the warranty.

But we can at least come up with some ideas for you though.
I really appreciate your detailed answers. You are great and so helpful.

I made some research last night and put my eyes on Dovpo Topside Lite Kit 90W with Variant RDA. What is your 2 cents about it?

Again, thanks a million.

myasin

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Hi,
If you are overloading a device, get another and split the workload.
The Nord with the some of RPM coils "should" keep up.
You could also try increasing your nicotine level to 50mg/ml or greater.

Cheers
I
Thanks for the answer. I will definitely do that, having multiple devices to let them wick.

Can you please say more about which RPM coils for nic salt "should" keep?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
That Variant RDA is a dual coil DTL cloud making behemoth @myasin, which is okay if that's what you want. Personally I would recomend a nice simple single coil one to start with, as dual makes it twice as complex and fiddly.

Could I be cheeky and ask where you're planning to get things from? As I'm thinking if you use Fasttech, 2Fdeal or the likes, that you could pick up a decent clone or copy RDA. As there's many to choose from and they're very reasonably priced.

One of my favorites is Ulton's version of the Taifun BTD and at around $15 it's not bad at all, you just need some M2.5 x 4mm grub screws to make it shine. But it is a really nice simple single coil RDA to use, but it can be over squonked a bit too easily and then it gets messy. But I think that even the genuine suffers the same issue.

And I forgot to ask what resistance coils you've been liking using? As that'll help narrow down some further ideas for you.

But if you were looking at a massive DTL kit you must have a look at the Steam Crave Hadron with the Squonk backpack and the Aromamizer Plus V2 (has a lot of different deck options available), that combo will fog out a room is seconds. But that's at the more extreme end of things.

• Informative

myasin

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
That Variant RDA is a dual coil DTL cloud making behemoth @myasin, which is okay if that's what you want. Personally I would recomend a nice simple single coil one to start with, as dual makes it twice as complex and fiddly.

Could I be cheeky and ask where you're planning to get things from? As I'm thinking if you use Fasttech, 2Fdeal or the likes, that you could pick up a decent clone or copy RDA. As there's many to choose from and they're very reasonably priced.

One of my favorites is Ulton's version of the Taifun BTD and at around $15 it's not bad at all, you just need some M2.5 x 4mm grub screws to make it shine. But it is a really nice simple single coil RDA to use, but it can be over squonked a bit too easily and then it gets messy. But I think that even the genuine suffers the same issue.

And I forgot to ask what resistance coils you've been liking using? As that'll help narrow down some further ideas for you.

But if you were looking at a massive DTL kit you must have a look at the Steam Crave Hadron with the Squonk backpack and the Aromamizer Plus V2 (has a lot of different deck options available), that combo will fog out a room is seconds. But that's at the more extreme end of things.
I really like your style :) Thank you for taking the time to explain in such a detailed way.

The reason I considered "Dovpo Topside Lite Kit 90W with Variant RDA" is the reviews about top filling of squonk. People express negative comments about leaking with others. I would be interested in hearing otherwise.

I did not make enough research about Variant RDA. The only reason is it comes as a combo.

To be honest I don't care about the money if eventually I will lose this interest in going back to analogs. I tried high nic freebase juices but the nicotine taste is very noticeable to me at 18+ milligrams.

I looked for throat hit, decided to accept it will never be the same as an analog.

Then I discovered salts. It is satisfying but for I am chain smoker I don't think it is good for me. Others say since salts has high nic, you can vape less to get the same level of satisfaction but it is not the case for me. I think I am addicted with my hand and lips.

I thought that I would always be an MTL vaper for I am a veteran smoker. But somehow I realized that I am now leaning towards DL.

I am not particular about the coil resistance and actually I am doing ok with 1.4 for salts but as in my original post I always get the changed taste and brown residues close to the pod base somehow after puffing sometime. I am sure that your guess about sweetness is correct but I like fruit flavors.

Let me summarize after picking my mind with your help. A device with fresh flavor with every puff, no leaking or messy stuff which makes the hobby more difficult, supports both salts and freebase, common enough to find support through forums easily.

I am thinking a squonk device coupled with an RDA would fit my needs best. As a switcher from analog I am really not after big clouds. Hence I think a single battery, single coil, and 90 watts or less will be fine for me.

I don't want to abuse your patience with me but what is the best combo if money is not an issue? And what is the course I should follow? I am not afraid of the learning curve. But I would like to think I am on the right track. By the guidance of masters of course :)

myasin

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Could I be cheeky and ask where you're planning to get things from? As I'm thinking if you use Fasttech, 2Fdeal or the likes, that you could pick up a decent clone or copy RDA. As there's many to choose from and they're very reasonably priced.=
I was considering Dovpo Topside Lite Squonk Mod 90W. Do you think these are authentic? This site has it for $50 while Fasttech has it for $63.50.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Well here's a list of a few single 21700 Squonk mods, which should see you throughout a day and possibly into the next day with battery life.

Dovpo Topside
Dovpo Topside Lite
Vandy Vape Pulse V2
Eleaf Pico Squeeze 2

As for RDA's I'd definitely say that it was worth looking at single coil ones with an emphasis on flavour over vapour, so I'd say get hold of some clones of high end ones.

Taifun BTD
Flave
FLVR

The BTD is really easy to work with though, so it's very good for a novice without any experience.

And if you want a good place to get simple round Kanthal wire, you can't go wrong with Temco.

And for a basic set of tools you'll need these.

2 drill bits to use as coil rods (2.5mm and 3mm).

2 pairs of tweezers, nice and pointy ones (one ceramic for working with the coil and one metal for working with the wicking).

1 pair of small sharp scissors, for working with the wicking.

1 decent pair of side cutters, for working with the wire.

And for wicking there's a few choices, from various cottons to Rayon.

And I have been hearing that Vapesourcing has been having some issues recently @myasin, so there has been delays as of late. But they are well known though.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
And by the sounds of it @myasin, liquid DIY may be of interest to you.

As Salts hare softer throat hit and aren't as harsh at higher levels, Freebase does get harsh and has a more definite throat hit though. And some folks mix Salts and Freebase Nicotines together to get the right throat hit for them.

Then certain flavours or additives can give throat hit as well, such as these.

Peppermint
Koolada
Wintergreen
Menthol

And the base itself can be tweaked for more throat hit as well, by increasing the Propylene Glycol percentage. But it is worth noting that folks can be somewhat sensitive to PG, as it is actually classified as an irritant.

But my though for you @myasin is using one shots as they're called, which are a bunch of premixed flavours that you can just add to base and Nicotine. Then to just tweak it slightly by adding something else to it.

But it's just an idea.

And if you're going more towards DTL style now, you'll be able to reduce your Nicotine levels a bit. I'd say to maybe try getting a 12mg/ml and a 0mg/ml initially and then you can dilute the Nicotine levels a bit and see what works.

Reactions: Katya

myasin

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2009
Well here's a list of a few single 21700 Squonk mods, which should see you throughout a day and possibly into the next day with battery life.

Dovpo Topside
Dovpo Topside Lite
Vandy Vape Pulse V2
Eleaf Pico Squeeze 2

As for RDA's I'd definitely say that it was worth looking at single coil ones with an emphasis on flavour over vapour, so I'd say get hold of some clones of high end ones.

Taifun BTD
Flave
FLVR

The BTD is really easy to work with though, so it's very good for a novice without any experience.

And if you want a good place to get simple round Kanthal wire, you can't go wrong with Temco.

And for a basic set of tools you'll need these.

2 drill bits to use as coil rods (2.5mm and 3mm).

2 pairs of tweezers, nice and pointy ones (one ceramic for working with the coil and one metal for working with the wicking).

1 pair of small sharp scissors, for working with the wicking.

1 decent pair of side cutters, for working with the wire.

And for wicking there's a few choices, from various cottons to Rayon.

And I have been hearing that Vapesourcing has been having some issues recently @myasin, so there has been delays as of late. But they are well known though.
Let me share you what I came up after researching deeply your recommendations.

Squonk Mods:
  1. $64.99 Authentic Vandy Vape Pulse V2 BF 95W TC VW APV Squonk Box Mod - 5-95W / 200-600'F/100-315'C / 1*18650/20700/21700 / standard edition at FastTech - Free Shipping
  2. $42.45 Authentic DOVPO Topside Lite 90W TC VW APV Squonk Box Mod - 1*18650/20700 / 100-315'C(200-600'F) / polycarbonate + PCTG at FastTech - Free Shipping
  3. $25.75 Authentic Wotofo Recurve 80W Squonk Box Mod - 1*21700/20700/20650/18650 / built-in 8ml squonk bottle / zinc alloy at FastTech - Free Shipping
RDAs:
  1. $11.35 Authentic Vapefly Holic MTL RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22.2mm diameter at FastTech - Free Shipping
  2. $35.99 Authentic Vandy Vape Berserker V2 MTL RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 3ml (24*21mm (OD*ID)) / stainless steel + glass / 24mm diameter at FastTech - Free Shipping
  3. $20.15 Authentic Damn Vape Intense Mesh MTL RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 24mm diameter / standard edition at FastTech - Free Shipping
  4. $23.39 Authentic Wotofo STNG MTL RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Free Shipping
  5. $19.06 Authentic Vapefly Galaxies MTL RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter / w/ BF pin at FastTech - Free Shipping
  6. $11.40 SXK FLVR Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 304 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Free Shipping
  7. $5.33 ST Typhoon BTD Wave Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter / w/ BF pin at FastTech - Free Shipping
I think these last two which you recommended are DL, can they be converted to MTL. I want to stick to MTL. DL makes me lack the flavor.

For the tools I think that $43.90 Authentic Coil Master DIY Kit V3 at FastTech - Free Shipping puts all the necessary tools in a set. Maybe It will be cheaper if I just get parts individually but I like to be thorough with hobbies :)

Do you think it is a good idea to try them all and see which one will fit me best?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread