Nice and Easy BASIC Starter Build for Kayfun Newbies....like me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
You just bought a kayfun and went to the interwebs and were quickly overwhelmed. There are so many builds out there. Where do you begin? I got good results on this build on my first try. I tried another basic build and had terrible dry hits due to the Ekowool shedding. This one performed beautifully from the beginning.

I don't have a syringe tip bottle, like is shown on this video so I simply did the "top fill" method that pbusardo mentions at 24:00 in his review of the "russian" and I have not had any flooding or gurgling issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0oHiETyAg

For myself and other "newbies" on kayfun's I found this particular build very easy and nice performing.

There are definitely "better performing builds" out there. However, I found this one to be particularly easy to start out on. I also like the way that the build allows you to adjust the loops to the desired height so that you can almost guarantee that you will not have wicking problems due to blocking the liquid channels

It also requires no additional "tools" such as a torch and tweezers that are required for building Micro coils.

Like I said, it's not the absolute best build, but it is easy enough to master quickly and get you to start using your Kayfun as quickly and easily as possible. Once you master this, you can move on to the more advanced stuff.

Welcome to the Kayfun family.

Last edited:

jchamb2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Cleburne, tx
I use something similar to that in all my RBAs. It's quick, easy, vapes great and lasts for ages. I either build it like the video using 2mm silica and 32 Kanthal, or just double over 3 mm silica with about 5 wraps of 32 Kanthal.

I used ecigs to stop smoking 4 years ago, and as much as I enjoy tinkering with things I really don't feel a need to go to sub ohm micro coils, cotton etc. Not a hit to those who tinker endlessly with coils, but 5 wraps around silica, fill with one of my home made ejuice blends, and I'm good to go. I use a APV as opposed to an unregulated mod (2 Evics and an SVD) and life is easy. It certainly works for me, and after you "get the hang" of using the Kayfuns and filling them you can branch out to more exotic stuff.

bsoplinger

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2010
Capitol District New York
Haven't done a build yet, I'm gathering supplies and waiting on a Black Russian to arrive but I've been watching my share of videos about builds. I'm not sure you don't want to have that torch handy, even with using cotton wick, just to clean up the coil after you've built it. Burn off any nasty oils and contaminants from the manufacturing process or handling when packaged or just from your fingers when you built it. Or are you figuring that test firings after you've attached it to the deck will take care of cleaning it up?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Haven't done a build yet, I'm gathering supplies and waiting on a Black Russian to arrive but I've been watching my share of videos about builds. I'm not sure you don't want to have that torch handy, even with using cotton wick, just to clean up the coil after you've built it. Burn off any nasty oils and contaminants from the manufacturing process or handling when packaged or just from your fingers when you built it. Or are you figuring that test firings after you've attached it to the deck will take care of cleaning it up?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

I can use a standard bic to temper the wire a little bit before wrapping the coil. However you really need a torch to temper the microcoil and tweezers to keep it from springing apart. These are not expensive items, but they are not things I normally have laying around.

When I do my test firing of this coil, it cleans the coil sufficiently so I don't need a torch.

I will eventually go to a microcoil, but It will be one with ekowool. I don't like the taste of cotton. It irritates my throat quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread