Nichrome without temperature control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeSomaThis

Feb 6, 2014
LA
So I went to my local shop and they threw in a .18 Nichrome build on my istick 100W.

As far as I know, Nichrome is only for temperature controlled devices (which mine is not). They said it would be safe, but I'm not really sure I trust that, so I figured I'd ask here before I blow my face off.

Is it safe to vape with this wire or should I just pull this build out and throw my own Kanthal one in?

Edit: Based on Steam engine, it seems to be a Nichrome 80 or lower wire

tieuphieu

Dec 21, 2015
Vietnam
For sure, you can use it. Nichrome is a resistance wire, and is listed in most of the coil calculator apps.

Important note: It has a much lower resistance than kanthal, so a 24 guage nicro is more like a 20 kanthal, so you have to do a few extra wraps. It ramps faster, heats hotter, and is softer. My opinion, please do not go under 0.5 ohm. ;)

Happy vaping !

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
So I went to my local shop and they threw in a .18 Nichrome build on my Istick 100W.

As far as I know, Nichrome is only for temperature controlled devices (which mine is not). They said it would be safe, but I'm not really sure I trust that, so I figured I'd ask here before I blow my face off.

Is it safe to vape with this wire or should I just pull this build out and throw my own Kanthal one in?

Nichrome isn't a temp control wire (it won't work in tc). You're thinking of nickel/ni200. Nichrome is perfectly fine in a non-tc mod.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rossum

Jim_ MDP

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
As far as I know, Nichrome is only for temperature controlled devices

Right, you've got that backwards.
NiCh is not new, not even close. It's the wire used in plenty of factory heads.

But it's NOT temp control wire. Witness the current (seemingly) failure of Kanger to include a NiChrome TC mode in their newest mods. Hell, I'm surprised they tried.

It's for Power Mode... Variable Voltage (VV) or Variable Wattage (VW).
Rock on with it on your i100, you're good to go. :)

edit: Oops... 0.18? I don't have batteries in my i100 at the moment and don't feel like looking up the specs. Will it fire quite that low (watch it turn out the thing goes to 0.1) ?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So I went to my local shop and they threw in a .18 Nichrome build on my Istick 100W.

Nothing wrong with using NiChrome(s) in Wattage Mode. In fact, 510 Atty's, Cartos and Cleros all came built with NiChrome(s) before the Kanthal craze hit.

And some, including Myself, prefer the Taste of NiChrome 80 over Kanthal A1.

Just curious. What type of Wattage do you run a 0.18 Ohms build on your iStick 100W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread