Not open for further replies.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Kanthal is a manufacturer, not a type of wire. They make various kinds of wire, including Nickel-Chromium ("NiCrome") and steel alloy resistance wire.

I don't know of any wire made by Kanthal that is conductive (non-resistance) and contains nickel. All of their conductive wire offerings are either Aluminum or Copper alloys.

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Kanthal is a manufacturer, not a type of wire. They make various kinds of wire, including Nickel-Chromium ("NiCrome") and steel alloy resistance wire.

I don't know of any wire made by Kanthal that is conductive (non-resistance) and contains nickel. All of their conductive wire offerings are either Aluminum or Copper alloys.

Actually, Kanthal in reference to wire, is a type of wire, not the manufacturer.

Kanthal is the trademark for a family of iron-chromium-aluminium (FeCrAl) alloys used in a wide range of resistance and high-temperature applications. Kanthal FeCrAl alloys consist of mainly iron, chromium (20–30%) and aluminium (4–7.5 %). The first Kanthal FeCrAl alloy was developed by Hans von Kantzow in Hallstahammar, Sweden. Its name is derived from Kantzow and Hallstahammar. The alloys are known for their ability to withstand high temperatures and having intermediate electric resistance.

Greg W.

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
Thanks so much for the confirmation! In all my research I hadn't seen any mention of Nickel wire for builds...knew it had to be wrong.

Pure nickel wire is used in some builds, such as the stock heads for kanger bcc's, where there are long leads that could burn up the rubber grommet and taste like death. Depending on what type of rebuild you're doing, you may want to hold onto the non-res (nickel) wire, but you'll definitely need some kanthal or ni-chrome wire as well. The resistive nature of the wire is what produces heat when running current through it, generally speaking.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Kanthal

Is that not the manufacturer of resistance wire we're referring to? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of different companies manufacture resistance wire, but Kanthal is the name of the company that patented what we commonly refer to as Kanthal wire.

None of the conductive materials shown on their website or spec pages include Nickel.

If I'm wrong, then help straighten me out. I'm here to share and learn.

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Kanthal

Is that not the manufacturer of resistance wire we're referring to? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of different companies manufacture resistance wire, but Kanthal is the name of the company that patented what we commonly refer to as Kanthal wire.

None of the conductive materials shown on their website or spec pages include Nickel.

If I'm wrong, then help straighten me out. I'm here to share and learn.

You are not wrong. Kanthal is a trademark and is the name of a company. But Kanthal wire, a wire made up of iron, chromium and aluminum, in certain percentages, is named after the company that first used that particular alloy for the wire, and was invented in the 1800s. It is now just used to describe the type of wire, using the various metals that make up the wire. That wire is just referred to as Kanthal wire.

Something like, facial tissue is always called Kleenex, even if it is not the brand.

Greg W.

Bottom line is you want resistance wire what ever it's called :) Unless your runs are long then you may need both resistance & non-resistance. The Ithaka for example needs a resistance coil with non-resistance leads.
Rebuildable Atomizer Supplies & Tools That I Use Daily - YouTube
Watch Rips video "Rebuildable Atomizer Supplies & Tools That I Use Daily" he breaks down where to get Kanthal A-1 in bulk on the cheap... if you are ever so inclined.

90quattrocoupe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2013
Long Beach, CA
One of the main companies, for Kanthal A1, in this country, is Temco. They are also the biggest supplier on Ebay. They may get beat by a few cents, but at least you know it is a company that actually deals in all kinds of wire. This is just a few of the wires they sell. You can see more here, whether you buy from them on Ebay or directly from the company store. This page list all the various types of Kanthal A1 they sell.

Kanthal A1

Greg W.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread